httpd configuration

Post by Jason Bac » Fri, 13 Jun 1997 04:00:00

I'm looking for some documentation on configuring FreeBSD 2.1.7
to allow local CGI programs to be run.

I did the basic setup in sysinstall, and it seems to be
working fine, but when I try to run a CGI script,
(e.g. href="http://localhost/cgi-bin/whatever.cgi") I get
"you don't have permission to access /cgi-bin/whatever.cgi on this server".

As a shot in the dark, I tried messing with the file and directory
permissions and ownership, and also running as root, but I always
hit the same roadblock.

I'm new to this web server stuff (is it obvious?), so any pointers
would be appreciated.  There doesn't seem to be any local documentation
on the httpd daemon, unless I'm just looking in the wrong
places.  ( Apropos'd everything I could think of, and looked
through the handbook )

Thanks,

-Jason

httpd configuration

Post by Ian Edwar » Fri, 13 Jun 1997 04:00:00

Quote:> I'm looking for some documentation on configuring FreeBSD 2.1.7
> to allow local CGI programs to be run.

> I did the basic setup in sysinstall, and it seems to be
> working fine, but when I try to run a CGI script,
> (e.g. href="http://localhost/cgi-bin/whatever.cgi") I get
> "you don't have permission to access /cgi-bin/whatever.cgi on this server".

> As a shot in the dark, I tried messing with the file and directory
> permissions and ownership, and also running as root, but I always
> hit the same roadblock.

> I'm new to this web server stuff (is it obvious?), so any pointers
> would be appreciated.  There doesn't seem to be any local documentation
> on the httpd daemon, unless I'm just looking in the wrong
> places.  ( Apropos'd everything I could think of, and looked
> through the handbook )

> Thanks,

> -Jason

(This assumes you are using 'apache')

The configuration files are in /usr/local/www/server/conf.

In access.conf there is a section :

<Directory /usr/local/www/cgi-bin>
AllowOverride None
Options ExecCGI
</Directory>

Change the directory name to the location of the CGI scripts.

In srm.conf :

ScriptAlias /cgi-bin/ /usr/local/www/cgi-bin/

Again, change /usr/local/.../ to the directory which has the CGI
scripts in (note the final '/').

Then with a script called 'fred' you can refer to it as

/cgi-bin/fred

--
Ian Edwards

httpd configuration

Post by Brian Some » Sat, 14 Jun 1997 04:00:00

Quote:> (This assumes you are using 'apache')

> The configuration files are in /usr/local/www/server/conf.

Hmmm, the last time I built the port it was /usr/local/etc/apache :I

--

      <http://www.awfulhak.org>