1. Using packages in a distributed environment?
I was wondering if anyone could give me some clues as to how they're
handling the distribution of packages in /opt in a distribute filesystem
environment. It's not entirely clear to me what the best way to share
software that wants to go in /opt is...
Currently I'm installing packages in /opt on one of two machines with
a large /opt partition. The rest of my SunOS 5.x machines mount these
partitions. I go in and make links in their /opt partitions to the
newly installed software in the server partitions.
This is problematic for (at least) two reasons:
1. Maintaining the links is a pain in the butt.
2. Even though the software appears to live in /opt like a locally-installed
package, the other package related files don't get updated
(/var/sadm/pkg and stuff). Thus, other software that looks at the
package admin files to see if a package is available don't see the
software that really is in /opt.
We'd like to be able to install software in the package format, but
drop it in /usr/local/opt or something, perhaps make /opt on the clients
a link to it, and have everything work (including patches).
Is it a problem that the package maintenance files aren't updated in this
scheme? Is it a bad idea to have *none* of /opt local? It seems like
many patches may not be installed properly if they try to write to the
central /opt (and perhaps to /usr or other places as well); any ideas
BTW, we use depot for distribution of all of our locally-installed software
currently. Is anyone using depot with /opt software?
Can anyone from Sun tell us how Sun does this internally?
multimedia computing group / georgia tech 404.894.6266
graphics, visualization, & usability center atlanta, ga 30332-0280
2. Linux as a GW/Router
3. packages in software clusters
4. tcsh broke FTP?
5. Using FreeBSD to distribute software updates
6. RBAC how-to ?
7. Is there any cluster software for Solaris without using shared-storage-system?
8. ttymon using about 30m of swap space!
9. Software Repository OTHER than the ports/packages?
10. Install Software Package from Redhat 6 CD using RPM?
11. clusterpunch - distributed mini-benchmark for clusters project
12. Supporting > 65K users across distributed systems (clusters)
13. Cluster/Distributed Computing with rsh?