md0 - malloc disk

Post by davi » Mon, 26 Jun 2000 04:00:00

Hi,
    I am wondering what exactly the pseudo device md is used for.  I
know its a Memory Disk, but for what reason would one may wish to enable
it?

Also, on boot up, sometimes it locks when it gets to md0.  I have tried
different RAM and it does the same.

FreeBSD 4.0-STABLE.

Thanks
David

md0 - malloc disk

Post by Neil Blakey-Milne » Tue, 27 Jun 2000 04:00:00

> Hi,
>     I am wondering what exactly the pseudo device md is used for.  I
> know its a Memory Disk, but for what reason would one may wish to enable
> it?

http://www.FreeBSD.org/handbook/disks.html and go to virtual disks, IIRC,
for an explanation of md, and how to use it.

Neil
--
Neil Blakey-Milner

md0 - malloc disk

Post by sysv » Tue, 27 Jun 2000 04:00:00

Quote:> Hi,
>     I am wondering what exactly the pseudo device md is used for.  I
> know its a Memory Disk, but for what reason would one may wish to
enable
> it?

> Also, on boot up, sometimes it locks when it gets to md0.  I have
tried
> different RAM and it does the same.

> FreeBSD 4.0-STABLE.

> Thanks
> David

Well, I believe a good example of the memory file system (MFS)
is the 2nd disk used in booting and installing the FreeBSD
operating system. It loads up a filesystem into memory.
Run sysinstall and obtain a shell. At that point you are in the
MFS.

sysv

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

1. C question : redefining a new malloc() calling standard malloc()

Hello,

I am currently writing, in C (on SGI IRIX 6.4), a redefinition of
malloc(), but I would like to still be able to call the standard library
malloc().

I am looking for a way to link the all properly !

I so have the four (+1) files :

* real_malloc.h : to call the standard library malloc()
---------------
#include <stdlib.h>

void* real_malloc(size_t);

* real_malloc.c
---------------
#include "real_malloc.h"

void* real_malloc(size_t size)
{
   /* Should call the standard library malloc() */
   return malloc(size);

* my_malloc.h : my redefinition of malloc()
-------------
#include <stdlib.h>

void* malloc(size_t);

* my_malloc.c
--------------
#include "my_malloc.h"
#include "real_malloc.h"

void* malloc(size_t size)
{
   /* some code */
   void* a = real_malloc(size);
   /* some code */

* essai.c : a test file
----------

#include "my_malloc.h"

main()
{
   /* should call my malloc redefinition */
   void* a = malloc(...);

How can I have the all correctly compile, link and WORK ???

Thanks for all response, comment, suggestion.

You can directly reply by mail.

---------------------
Xavier.

2. ide-tape & ksyms fixes for 2.4.7-pre9

3. help: md0: no magic...

4. HOWDO: mirror HTML pages for anoter server ?

5. /dev/md0: Device or resource busy

6. 2-stage NAT with a linux box ?

7. /dev/md0 problem

8. Crusoe Chip

9. Wher the heck is /dev/md0

10. Can't boot from /dev/md0 (RAID-1)

11. ext2 corruption on RAID5 /dev/md0 after switching to degraded mode

12. /dev/md0 not found!!