How to upgrade kernel sources from CDROM?

How to upgrade kernel sources from CDROM?

Post by Benedict Cho » Wed, 29 Sep 1999 04:00:00

I received the Walnut Creek 3.3 CDROM set a couple of days ago.

I've a running 3.2 system.

While doing the upgrade, I get the message that the kernel sources
will not be upgraded.

So, the question is, how do I upgrade the kernel sources to 3.3 from
the CDROM? I've not done any changes to the kernel source files (just
a dumb user, I am :-))

Thanks in advance.

Ben

Post by Peter Lo » Tue, 05 Oct 1999 04:00:00

> So, the question is, how do I upgrade the kernel sources to 3.3 from
> the CDROM? I've not done any changes to the kernel source files (just
> a dumb user, I am :-))

> Thanks in advance.

> Ben

Install the SSYS package as well - you can do this by going to "Configure"
"Distributions", "src" and then "sys" in /stand/sysinstall.

--
Peter Lowe -- System Administrator, Telenor Internet

Everything I know in life I learnt from .sigs.

1. Anyway to recover origianl kernel source from RH6.0-ified kernel-source?

I've just upgraded to Redhat 6.0, mainly for the 2.2 kernel. My problem
is, the kernel-source-2.2.5-15.rpm package distributed on the CD
contains a modified source tree, and the patches from kernel.org fail on
it :(

Is there any way to undo the modifications made by the Redhat team, so
that I can apply the diff patches and move to 2.2.9 without having to
download the whole thing?

patch's manpage says something about reversing operation but I don't
think that is what I need - also, I can't find the patch files that the
RH team used to alter the kernel, except in the src rpm which I would
prefer not to download.

Thanks,

(BTW - we really should create comp.os.linux.development.distributions
or something: it is kind of strange that this is the most 'on-topic'
place to post this message)
--
Jamie Walker,                     http://www.howgarth.demon.co.uk/
LaL Computers: http://lal.rvx.net/ <- for cheap computer hardware.

2. passive FTP

3. using patch to upgrade kernel sources

4. Someone please tell me why I should use Solaris 8?

5. kernel-source upgrade question

6. IPCHAINS

7. Kernel source won't compile after Mandrake 6.0 upgrade

9. RedHat Kernel upgrade, where will source go?

10. Upgrading kernel source (HELP!)

11. Upgrade driver source kernel 2.5.50?

12. Kernel upgrade question: RH6.0 patched to 2.2.13; need new module source?

13. upgrading RH 5.0 to 5.1 --> iso9660 cdrom not recognised by kernel????