Xfig

Post by ta.. » Thu, 12 Sep 2002 23:46:45

Hello,

some time ago i reported here that xfig does not work under FreeBSD 4.6
I have tried recompling it today from the ports and it still doesn't work.
I have upgraded all dependencies with portupgrade, still no joy.
Of course the precompiled package coming with 4.6 does the same.
Finally, out of despair, i downloaded the source from xfig site,
more precisely
xfig.3.2.3d.code_only.tar.gz
since i had problems with
xfig.3.2.3d.full.tar.gz
i edited the Imakefile to include correct paths, complied it, and
it WORKS.
So there is something wrong either in the ports or the .full. package.
Hoping this may help someone...

--

Michel TALON

Xfig

Post by Steven G. Kar » Fri, 13 Sep 2002 01:25:00

Quote:> Hello,

> some time ago i reported here that xfig does not work under FreeBSD 4.6
> I have tried recompling it today from the ports and it still doesn't work.

Is there an error message?  Does it dump core?  Which
version of XFree86 are you using?  Are you using a
localization that may be causing a problem?

Xfig from the ports collections works fine for me
under XFree86 3.3.6 and 4.2.1 on a FreeBSD-current
system.

--
Steve
http://troutmask.apl.washington.edu/~kargl/

Xfig

Post by ta.. » Fri, 13 Sep 2002 20:13:08

:> Hello,
:>
:> some time ago i reported here that xfig does not work under FreeBSD 4.6
:> I have tried recompling it today from the ports and it still doesn't work.

: Is there an error message?  Does it dump core?  Which
: version of XFree86 are you using?  Are you using a
: localization that may be causing a problem?

: Xfig from the ports collections works fine for me
: under XFree86 3.3.6 and 4.2.1 on a FreeBSD-current
: system.

I have not found the cause of the error. It manifests itself the following
way:
-xfig from the ports is unable to read a .xfig file. It emits a popup
with an error.
-it is also unable to export a figure e.g. to eps. Similarly an error
popup appears.
This occurs on two different machines i have running 4.6.2
As i said this may be related to a corruption of the source file i have
fetched, but which is not catched by md5, or to a bug in the freebsd
patch, but i doubt that. Anyways now xfig works after having compiled
it from a different source tarball.
So i cannot beleive one instant this is related to another bug in
my libraries, since moreover all other graphical programs have no
problem.

: --

Post by Gunther Nik » Fri, 13 Sep 2002 21:59:03

> I have not found the cause of the error. It manifests itself the following
> way:
> -xfig from the ports is unable to read a .xfig file. It emits a popup
> with an error.
> -it is also unable to export a figure e.g. to eps. Similarly an error
> popup appears.

  Recently (august 2002) there was a thread on de.comp.os.unix.bsd about
  the same topic (xfig unable to load files). It shall be related to
  internationalization. It shall work if LANG and friends are not set
  or when LC_NUMERIC=C.
  Note: I haven't tested it since I don't need to use xfig. The above is
  my summary of the thread (hopefully correct :-)

  Gunther

Xfig

Post by ta.. » Sat, 14 Sep 2002 01:27:05

:> I have not found the cause of the error. It manifests itself the following
:> way:
:> -xfig from the ports is unable to read a .xfig file. It emits a popup
:> with an error.
:> -it is also unable to export a figure e.g. to eps. Similarly an error
:> popup appears.

:   Recently (august 2002) there was a thread on de.comp.os.unix.bsd about
:   the same topic (xfig unable to load files). It shall be related to
:   internationalization. It shall work if LANG and friends are not set
:   or when LC_NUMERIC=C.
:   Note: I haven't tested it since I don't need to use xfig. The above is
:   my summary of the thread (hopefully correct :-)

Thanks a lot. This makes sense. However it is strange that compiling
from the tarball code-only (or something like that) i have a working
xfig! Maybe it is because i have just edited the Imakefile and run
xmkmf then make. Instead the ports system runs some gccmakedepend
which may cause dependency troubles. Or perhaps i have not enabled
internationalisation and the ports do.

:   Gunther

--

Michel TALON

Xfig

Post by Steven G. Kar » Sat, 14 Sep 2002 01:47:06

>:> Hello,
>:>
>:> some time ago i reported here that xfig does not work under FreeBSD 4.6
>:> I have tried recompling it today from the ports and it still doesn't work.

>: Is there an error message?  Does it dump core?  Which
>: version of XFree86 are you using?  Are you using a
>: localization that may be causing a problem?

> I have not found the cause of the error. It manifests itself the following
> way:
> -xfig from the ports is unable to read a .xfig file. It emits a popup
> with an error.
> -it is also unable to export a figure e.g. to eps. Similarly an error
> popup appears.

I vaguely remember your original post about xfig.  You can
use truss(1) and/or ktrace(1) to trace the syscalls that
xfig makes.  This might provide a clue.

Quote:> As i said this may be related to a corruption of the source file i have
> fetched, but which is not catched by md5,

If the md5 signature of the tarball that the port fetches
matches the signature in distinfo, I suspect you have an
uncorrupted tarball.

Quote:> or to a bug in the freebsd patch, but i doubt that.

Another person responded about a problem with LANG and
LC_NUMERIC=C.  I looked at the patch-aa and found

 XCOMM If your setlocale() doesn't support the locale, you should
 XCOMM add -DSETLOCALE to I18N_DEFS.

-XCOMM #define I18N
+#define I18N

 #endif /* USEJPEG */

 #ifdef I18N
-I18N_DEFS = -DI18N -DSETLOCALE
+I18N_DEFS = -DI18N #-DSETLOCALE

I wonder if this is realted to the problem with
the port.

--

Post by ta.. » Sat, 14 Sep 2002 17:02:31

: Another person responded about a problem with LANG and
: LC_NUMERIC=C.  I looked at the patch-aa and found

:  XCOMM If your setlocale() doesn't support the locale, you should
:  XCOMM add -DSETLOCALE to I18N_DEFS.
:
: -XCOMM #define I18N
: +#define I18N

Yes i think this is the answer. If i remember well i did not enable
internationalization in the Imakefile. But you see this means there
is probably memory corruption related to using the locales and this is hard
to catch. Frankly i don't have much experience in debugging graphical
programs. When i tried it was always a big pain. I have seen bugs
disappearing under the de* and occurring 100% without it. Putting
a lot of printfs is the most reliable way, but is a lot of work. It is
much easier for the author of the program who knows what is inside :)

--

Michel TALON

Xfig

Post by Jens Schweikhard » Wed, 18 Sep 2002 18:44:48

#

#
# : Another person responded about a problem with LANG and
# : LC_NUMERIC=C.  I looked at the patch-aa and found
#

# :  XCOMM If your setlocale() doesn't support the locale, you should
# :  XCOMM add -DSETLOCALE to I18N_DEFS.
# :
# : -XCOMM #define I18N
# : +#define I18N
#
# Yes i think this is the answer. If i remember well i did not enable
# internationalization in the Imakefile. But you see this means there
# is probably memory corruption related to using the locales and this is hard
# to catch. Frankly i don't have much experience in debugging graphical
# programs. When i tried it was always a big pain. I have seen bugs
# disappearing under the de* and occurring 100% without it. Putting
# a lot of printfs is the most reliable way, but is a lot of work. It is
# much easier for the author of the program who knows what is inside :)

IIRC there's at least a locale dependent problem with parsing the xfig
files. E.g. they start with

#FIG 3.2

and if it scanned with scanf("%f") the decimal point in some locales is
not '.' but ','. This holds true for all other floating point values in
the file as well. I could imagine this leads xfig to all sorts of weird
behavior. This is why I stay away from all locale and I18N stuff :-)

Regards,

        Jens
--
Jens Schweikhardt  http://www.veryComputer.com/

1. going from xfig-3.1 to xfig-3.2

Hi,

When I made an upgrade from RedHat 4.2 to Redhat 5.1 xfig was
automatically
upgraded from 3.1 to 3.2.  Now the problem is that I have problems with
my old
figures.  In particular, xfig-3.2 puts all the text on one single line.
Suggestions how to avoid this with a limited amount of work ?
Thanks in advance !

Geert

2. obtaining ethernet (mac) address on solaris

3. xfig problems under Red Hat 5.0

4. Dimond Stealth * Pro SE/VL

5. Sscanf bug breaks xfig 2.1.6 and 2.1.7

6. Information on 21" or bigger monitors.

7. HPGL to .ps / xfig conversion

8. ignore me

9. xfig doesn't run under Slackware 2.0

10. Where is xfig 3.1???

11. xfig and transfig, where and how?

12. Announcing the release of xfig and TransFig 3.2.1

13. xfig 3.1 dumps core