FreeBSD 4.4 and XFree 3.3.6

Post by Snowdo » Thu, 08 Nov 2001 16:59:41

I would like to install XFree 3.3.6 on my FreeBSD 4.4, instead of 4.1,
because it drives to a lot of problems with my old STB Nitro 3D old
video card (Pentium 200 MMX with 64 mb RAM): exiting from XFree 4 screws
up the screen, no reset or other workaround can solve this. I have the
same problem under Linux, even recompiling X from sources.

Where can I download XFree 3.3.6 packages for FreeBSD 4.X? On Xfree ftp
site packages are only for 2.X and 3.X...
I know that the alternative is to recompile from sources...

--

Lorenzo|Ma que bela causa, d'estar tuchi i seras a beicar a casa la television
       |ma que bela causa, d'estre tuchi i seras da solets a casa, que
       |sodisfacion!  (Lou Dalfin)

FreeBSD 4.4 and XFree 3.3.6

Post by Devon Rya » Thu, 08 Nov 2001 18:13:18

> I would like to install XFree 3.3.6 on my FreeBSD 4.4, instead of 4.1,
> because it drives to a lot of problems with my old STB Nitro 3D old
> video card (Pentium 200 MMX with 64 mb RAM): exiting from XFree 4 screws
> up the screen, no reset or other workaround can solve this. I have the
> same problem under Linux, even recompiling X from sources.

> Where can I download XFree 3.3.6 packages for FreeBSD 4.X? On Xfree ftp
> site packages are only for 2.X and 3.X...
> I know that the alternative is to recompile from sources...

Look through ftp.freebsd.org It's probably under one of the packages
directories.  You could also use sysinstall as it presumably knows where
a copy is located.  Happy BSDing

--

Biology/Neuroscience, Pre-med | http://home.uchicago.edu/~dpryan

FreeBSD 4.4 and XFree 3.3.6

Post by Snowdo » Thu, 08 Nov 2001 22:11:47

> Look through ftp.freebsd.org It's probably under one of the packages
> directories.  You could also use sysinstall as it presumably knows where
> a copy is located.  Happy BSDing

Thanks a lot!
I've found 3.3.6 packages at
ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/releases/i386/4.4-RELEASE/XF86336/
that now I am mirroring at office with ADSL to master it on a CD and
bring it home :-)

--

Lorenzo  |             Linux User # 238283