Window XP & FreeBSD 4.4

Post by Peter » Mon, 12 Nov 2001 12:50:08

I have a WinXP box and just set up a FreeBSD 4.4 box.

For WinXP, I configured its TCP/IP as follows.

IP:        10.0.0.1
NetMask:   255.255.255.0

On the FreeBSD 4.4 box, I did the same thing.

IP:        10.0.0.2
NetMask:   255.255.255.0

But I cannot ping either machine from the other computer. What can I
do to make them 2 talk to each other? Was I missing anything? Thanks.

Peter

Window XP & FreeBSD 4.4

Post by Devon Rya » Mon, 12 Nov 2001 13:04:54

> I have a WinXP box and just set up a FreeBSD 4.4 box.

> For WinXP, I configured its TCP/IP as follows.

> IP:        10.0.0.1
> NetMask:   255.255.255.0

> On the FreeBSD 4.4 box, I did the same thing.

> IP:        10.0.0.2
> NetMask:   255.255.255.0

> But I cannot ping either machine from the other computer. What can I
> do to make them 2 talk to each other? Was I missing anything? Thanks.

> Peter

Can each ping itself?  Are firewalls setup properly (down them to find
out)?  Are you using a crossover cable or hub instead of a regular cat5
or whatever to connect them?

--

Biology/Neuroscience, Pre-med | http://home.uchicago.edu/~dpryan

Window XP & FreeBSD 4.4

Post by Peter » Tue, 13 Nov 2001 00:06:10

> Can each ping itself?

Yes. They can ping themselves correctly.

Quote:> Are firewalls setup properly (down them to find out)?

How to check this?

Quote:> Are you using a crossover cable or hub instead of a regular cat5 or whatever to connect them?

I use a CAT5 cable to connect them directly, i.e., I plug 1 end of the
cable into xp box and the other into freebsd box.

Window XP & FreeBSD 4.4

Post by jp » Tue, 13 Nov 2001 01:26:10

On 11 Nov 2001 07:06:10 -0800,

> I use a CAT5 cable to connect them directly, i.e., I plug 1 end of the
> cable into xp box and the other into freebsd box.

But is that a cross-cable?

Oh, on a(n even) lower level, Have You Checked The Hardware[tm], in this case
the blinkenlights on the network cards?

Window XP & FreeBSD 4.4

Post by Devon Rya » Tue, 13 Nov 2001 01:29:57

>>Can each ping itself?

> Yes. They can ping themselves correctly.

Good, then networking should be up on both

Quote:>>Are firewalls setup properly (down them to find out)?

> How to check this?

Depends on the firewall :P  If you setup the boxes and don't remember
putting on a firewall there probably isn't one there.  Otherwise, make
sure it can pass through the appropriate icmp packets.  This isn't your
problem though

Quote:>>Are you using a crossover cable or hub instead of a regular cat5 or whatever to connect them?

> I use a CAT5 cable to connect them directly, i.e., I plug 1 end of the
> cable into xp box and the other into freebsd box.

Ah, so here's your problem.  You can't use a regular cat5 cable to
directly connect two computers (the wires in the cord don't go the right
place).  You'll either need a hub, or to buy or make a crossover cable.
  Things should work then.

--

Post by mrx » Tue, 13 Nov 2001 02:01:40

>> I have a WinXP box and just set up a FreeBSD 4.4 box.

>> For WinXP, I configured its TCP/IP as follows.

>> IP:        10.0.0.1
>> NetMask:   255.255.255.0

>> On the FreeBSD 4.4 box, I did the same thing.

>> IP:        10.0.0.2
>> NetMask:   255.255.255.0

>> But I cannot ping either machine from the other computer. What can I
>> do to make them 2 talk to each other? Was I missing anything? Thanks.

>> Peter

> Can each ping itself?  Are firewalls setup properly (down them to find
> out)?  Are you using a crossover cable or hub instead of a regular cat5
> or whatever to connect them?

disable wins on the windoze side or run samba on the bsd side, I had
similar issues with connectivity setting up ras into work (A win2k network
from my linux/bsd lan at home)

Window XP & FreeBSD 4.4

Post by Jed Clea » Tue, 13 Nov 2001 05:50:06

> >>Are you using a crossover cable or hub instead of a regular cat5 or whatever to connect them?

> > I use a CAT5 cable to connect them directly, i.e., I plug 1 end of the
> > cable into xp box and the other into freebsd box.

> Ah, so here's your problem.  You can't use a regular cat5 cable to
> directly connect two computers (the wires in the cord don't go the right
> place).  You'll either need a hub, or to buy or make a crossover cable.
>   Things should work then.

Hold the two RJ-45 connectors side by side, oriented the same way with
the cable* down and the retainer clip away from you.  The left
most two wires, pins 1 & 2, (check their color) should end up on pins 3
& 6 on the other connector and vice versa.  Ignore 4,5,7&8.  If the
colors end up on the same pins, you have a straight cable, which you can
only use between a NIC and a Hub or Switch.  Cross over cables (NIC to
NIC direct) are pretty easy to come by, or buy yourself an RJ-45
crimping tool and make your own.

If you have any plans to add another computer in the future, buy a small
hub and another straight cable.  If you're lucky enough to have computer
shows in the area, you can probably spend <=US$20.

Window XP & FreeBSD 4.4

Post by Peter W » Tue, 13 Nov 2001 10:21:32

It seems that I need to buy a small hub. Thank you! :-)

Quote:

Post by Bill Vermilli » Wed, 21 Nov 2001 00:34:35

>I have a WinXP box and just set up a FreeBSD 4.4 box.
>For WinXP, I configured its TCP/IP as follows.

>IP:        10.0.0.1
>NetMask:   255.255.255.0
>On the FreeBSD 4.4 box, I did the same thing.

>IP:        10.0.0.2
>NetMask:   255.255.255.0
>But I cannot ping either machine from the other computer. What can I
>do to make them 2 talk to each other? Was I missing anything? Thanks.

What version of XP, home or office.

I had seen some rumbling in the trade press about the home version
not working for local networks - I guess MS's way of keeping
businesses buying business products.  I am not 100% sure of this so
classify this as part-rumor unless someone else can confirm.

Window XP & FreeBSD 4.4

Post by Matt Anderso » Wed, 21 Nov 2001 08:49:46

XP Home, by default, uses some funky settings that make it incompatible.
However, if you go into the properties yourself, instead of using the
wizard, it is no big deal to get it to talk to Samba servers etc.

Matt Anderson

> >I have a WinXP box and just set up a FreeBSD 4.4 box.

> >For WinXP, I configured its TCP/IP as follows.

> >IP:        10.0.0.1
> >NetMask:   255.255.255.0

> >On the FreeBSD 4.4 box, I did the same thing.

> >IP:        10.0.0.2
> >NetMask:   255.255.255.0

> >But I cannot ping either machine from the other computer. What can I
> >do to make them 2 talk to each other? Was I missing anything? Thanks.

> What version of XP, home or office.

> I had seen some rumbling in the trade press about the home version
> not working for local networks - I guess MS's way of keeping
> businesses buying business products.  I am not 100% sure of this so
> classify this as part-rumor unless someone else can confirm.

Window XP & FreeBSD 4.4

Post by Peter W » Wed, 21 Nov 2001 10:21:20

I bought a hub and connected my freebsd box and winxp pro box successfully.

> XP Home, by default, uses some funky settings that make it incompatible.
> However, if you go into the properties yourself, instead of using the
> wizard, it is no big deal to get it to talk to Samba servers etc.

> Matt Anderson

> > >I have a WinXP box and just set up a FreeBSD 4.4 box.

> > >For WinXP, I configured its TCP/IP as follows.

> > >IP:        10.0.0.1
> > >NetMask:   255.255.255.0

> > >On the FreeBSD 4.4 box, I did the same thing.

> > >IP:        10.0.0.2
> > >NetMask:   255.255.255.0

> > >But I cannot ping either machine from the other computer. What can I
> > >do to make them 2 talk to each other? Was I missing anything? Thanks.

> > What version of XP, home or office.

> > I had seen some rumbling in the trade press about the home version
> > not working for local networks - I guess MS's way of keeping
> > businesses buying business products.  I am not 100% sure of this so
> > classify this as part-rumor unless someone else can confirm.

Window XP & FreeBSD 4.4

Post by Matt Anderso » Tue, 27 Nov 2001 09:53:34

Just for clarification here.  The problem's are only with XP Home.
XP Pro behaves nicely right out of the overpriced box. :-)

Matt Anderson

Post by walt » Wed, 28 Nov 2001 23:02:00

> Just for clarification here.  The problem's are only with XP Home.
> XP Pro behaves nicely right out of the overpriced box. :-)

> Matt Anderson

> > I bought a hub and connected my freebsd box and winxp pro box
> > successfully.

> >> XP Home, by default, uses some funky settings that make it incompatible.
> >> However, if you go into the properties yourself, instead of using the
> >> wizard, it is no big deal to get it to talk to Samba servers etc...

I found I had to "enable NetBIOS over TCP/IP" to get XP Pro talking to Samba.

What about you?

1. FBSD 4.4-RC && Linux JDK 1.3.1 && JNI ???

Hello,

        I've just dipped my big toe into the dark and mysterious pool of the
        Java Native Interface.  I've implemented a simple HelloWorld style
        application with a native C implementation of the print method, and
        have managed to get to the final step of running the class only to
        receive the following error:

        jnitest.so: /usr/home/bgs/bin/libjnitest.so: ELF file OS ABI invalid.
                at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadLibrary0(ClassLoader.java:1382)
                at JNITest.<clinit>(JNITest.java:5)

        I am using the Linux JDK 1.3.1 port and am unsure about where to go
        from here.  Is there something special that I must do when compiling
        the native code to make it properly executable?  I've seen brandelf
        mentioned in a few archives that I've searched in, but have tried
        using it with no success.

        Anyone know the secret incantations to make JNI work with a Linux
        JDK?  Any pointers, tips, or *examples* are very much appreciated.

        Thank you,

        ~brian skrab

2. 2.4.7 Build failure -- ohci1394.c:1451:19: #if with no expression

3. FreeBSD 4.4 w/ apache/mysql/php & no joy

4. HELP !!! xdm login problems

5. FreeBSD 4.4 & PCMCIA ethernet card

6. linux driver for Spaceball Avenger?

7. EIDE & FreeBSD; Windows NT 3.51 & FreeBSD.

8. Apache 1.2.0 (form's POST)

9. FreeBSD 4.4 and Soudblaster Live! = No Sound

10. Kerberos support in NFS for FreeBSD 4.4?

11. installing a new HDD[NEWBIE]{FreeBSD 4.4}

12. FreeBSD 4.4 as gateway...

13. FreeBSD 4.4, sshd logging