ahc0: brkadrint, Illegal Host Access at seqaddr 0x0

ahc0: brkadrint, Illegal Host Access at seqaddr 0x0

Post by Margaret Tarb » Tue, 20 May 1997 04:00:00

Well, i made a little progress, i think.  I went into kernal
config and on *yminded grounds disabled everything i found
there except for the floppy.

The meaning of the display wasn't intuitively obvious -- i would
have supposed it to mean "if you have one of these devices
installed, then you may need to configure it by hand",  But as
nothing on the list reflected my system at all, i originally just
let it all alone.  That was, apparently, my main mistake, because
after i disabled everything, the install seemed prepared to go
forward without further complaint.  (I aborted it anyway since
i'm tight for low-order space on that disk and can't seem to
discover what the Absolute Minimum footprint is so that i can
shoehorn it in.)
                                                        =margaret

ahc0: brkadrint, Illegal Host Access at seqaddr 0x0

Post by Margaret Tarb » Tue, 20 May 1997 04:00:00

Discovered something else, while ruthlessly purging
apparently-inoffensive config entries:  the section labeled
"PCI", which is not modifiable or purgeable, is where the
27xx/28xx/29xx cards are listed.  But while 29xx is indeed a PCI,
27xx (EISA) and 28xx (VLB) are not.  Makes them hard to modify,
should that be necessary.

Still haven't found where the Minimum Footprint is given.  I can
find that 60MB is the fp for a binary-only install, but that
doesn't tell me whether that includes space for optional
binaries.

ahc0: brkadrint, Illegal Host Access at seqaddr 0x0

Post by Margaret Tarb » Wed, 21 May 1997 04:00:00

I need some help!

Tried again to do the install.

It still panics and barfs all over the Jaz drive unless i pop the
cart out.

In the Novice setup sequence (i didn't feel i had enough
documentation to try anything more exciting) the fdisk screen
only shows me the first 3 or 4 drives on channel 0, and doesn't
show me channel 1 at all.  Since essentially all my free space is
in the second 2GB of device 4, channel 0, and device 0, channel
1, i feel a wee bit hosed.  The idea of laboriously re-ordering
and re-organising all my disks so as to bring the free space
within reach doesn't appeal.

Some part of the install process also appeared to do something
obnoxious to System Commander 3.0, resident in c:\sc. - i had to
entirely reinstall.  I presume it was FBSD wot dunnit because SC
was working fine immediately prior to my install attempt.  The
symptom was that SC would try to put up its first display, but
then hang tight, forcing me to deadstart.

All advice gratefully accepted.

                                                        =margaret

ahc0: brkadrint, Illegal Host Access at seqaddr 0x0

Post by Margaret Tarb » Thu, 22 May 1997 04:00:00

Okay, by completely reorganising my physical storage, i got the
install to go fine, except for the problem with the Jaz drive,
still unresolved, and the problem with the install utility's
inability to see more than 4 drives, which is far as i can tell
is a bug, not a FBSD limitation, right?

The "novice" install process could be made rather easer, i
believe --it's really not much different  to the "expert" path,
right now -- and so i think i'll look into that a little bit.

Can someone tell me where the install util sources are in the
tree?  I looked, but couldn't find.
                                                        =margaret

ahc0: brkadrint, Illegal Host Access at seqaddr 0x0

Post by Brian Some » Fri, 23 May 1997 04:00:00

Quote:> Okay, by completely reorganising my physical storage, i got the
> install to go fine, except for the problem with the Jaz drive,
> still unresolved, and the problem with the install utility's
> inability to see more than 4 drives, which is far as i can tell
> is a bug, not a FBSD limitation, right?

Not quite.  It's a BIOS limitation.  The boot blocks use the
BIOS to find the kernel, from then, access is pretty much
unlimited.

Quote:>                                                    =margaret

--

      <http://www.awfulhak.org>

ahc0: brkadrint, Illegal Host Access at seqaddr 0x0

Post by David E. O'Brie » Wed, 28 May 1997 04:00:00

Quote:> Some part of the install process also appeared to do something
> obnoxious to System Commander 3.0, resident in c:\sc. - i had to

You probably intalled the standard boot blocks, or the booteasy ones.
I usually install the standard ones (allowing the install to over write
my System Commander setup).  Since it is quite easy to reintall SC and it
finds most of my previous config, its not a big deal to me.  Otherwise,
select "do not write boot blocks" or what ever the real words are.  Then
after the install, reboot and at the SC prompt enter setup to add
FreeBSD.

--

ahc0: brkadrint, Illegal Host Access at seqaddr 0x0

Post by David E. O'Brie » Wed, 28 May 1997 04:00:00

Quote:> Some part of the install process also appeared to do something
> obnoxious to System Commander 3.0, resident in c:\sc. - i had to

You probably intalled the standard boot blocks, or the booteasy ones.
I usually install the standard ones (allowing the install to over write
my System Commander setup).  Since it is quite easy to reintall SC and it
finds most of my previous config, its not a big deal to me.  Otherwise,
select "do not write boot blocks" or what ever the real words are.  Then
after the install, reboot and at the SC prompt enter setup to add
FreeBSD.

--

1. kernel panic: aha274x_isr: brkadrint, error = 0x1, seqaddr = 0x0

Yesterday, I posted that I could not get SlackwarePro 2.1 precompiled
kernel to boot (but the installation disks work fine).

I managed to compile a kernel on another Linux machine (gcc was adequate
after all).  However, it also does not boot.

I have a Pentium 60, 16 MB ram, AHA-2740 SCSI, Mitsumi (non-SCSI) CD-ROM.

The boot messages show the aha274x detected (1 SCSI disk total), then
a message about 16M of memory, processor honours WP bit in supervisor
mode, floppy drive fd0 is 1.44M, then:
FDC 0 is a post-1991 82077
Swansea University Computer Society NET3.017
Swansea University Computer Society TCP/IP for NET3.017
IP Protocols: ICMP, UDP, TCP
Kernel panic: aha274x_isr: brkadrint, error = 0x1, seqaddr = 0x0

In swapper task - not syncing

Any ideas?
I have *no* clue what to try next.
--

Maurice-Lamontagne Institute, Department of Fisheries and Oceans Canada
P.O. Box 1000

2. test..do not read

3. Debian 2.0 install problem: Illegal host access

4. hdd performance under openbsd

5. Hardware problems: Mandrake 7.0 tulip: eth0: MMIO Region (0X0@0X0) Unavailable, aborting

6. Solaris x86 FAQ

7. SCSI problem: No BIOS32, AIC7xxx host, and interrupt BRKADRINT 0x1

8. Help! Kmem: Permission denied?

9. FTP problems "Illegal PORT command" and "Illegal seek"

10. Stop illegal hosts from using system as mail relay.

11. Illegal syntax in /etc/hosts: two entries for 127.0.0.1 ?

12. Access to public host from private host through Linux router

13. hosts.access & hosts.deny