Removing FreeBSD Boot loader

Post by bill » Wed, 19 Jan 2000 04:00:00

I have reformated my hard drive to remove Free BSD however, I still
have the loader come up on start up it says:

F1: ???
F2: ???

F1: Default

How do you remove this loader?  Is there a simple way without having
to reformat anything?
Thanks

Post by Tim Daneliu » Wed, 19 Jan 2000 04:00:00

> I have reformated my hard drive to remove Free BSD however, I still
> have the loader come up on start up it says:

> F1: ???
> F2: ???

> F1: Default

> How do you remove this loader?  Is there a simple way without having
> to reformat anything?
> Thanks

Remove FreeBSD? Shock! Horror! But if you insist...

I seem to recall an undocumented arg for fdisk under MS-DOS.  Try:

fdisk /mbr c: (or whatever drive we're talking about)

(As in Master Boot Record)

Tim Daneliuk

Post by Bob Nelso » Wed, 19 Jan 2000 04:00:00

>> How do you remove this loader?  Is there a simple way without having
>> to reformat anything?
> I seem to recall an undocumented arg for fdisk under MS-DOS.  Try:
> fdisk /mbr c: (or whatever drive we're talking about)
> (As in Master Boot Record)

1). Will ``dd of=<drive device> if=/dev/zero bs=512 count=1'' achieve
    the purpose (presuming the goal is simply to _remove_ the FreeBSD
    boot loader? If not, what are the pitfalls with this?

2). I've never quite understood why ``fdisk /mbr'' is the magic
    incantation. I've seen this both in Linux and FreeBSD newsgroups.
    This approach presumes that some form of DOS is available. Is
    there not a way to achieve the same end as ``fdisk /mbr'' within the
    context of the native operating system -- without the need to bring
    in DOS?

      http://www.oldradio.com/archives/nelson/open-computing.html
``Those who don't understand UNIX are condemned to reinvent it, poorly.''

Post by ze.. » Wed, 19 Jan 2000 04:00:00

        >snip<
: 2). I've never quite understood why ``fdisk /mbr'' is the magic
:     incantation. I've seen this both in Linux and FreeBSD newsgroups. This
:     approach presumes that some form of DOS is available. Is there not a
:     way to achieve the same end as ``fdisk /mbr'' within the context of
:     the native operating system -- without the need to bring in DOS?

        Considering that (AFAIK) `fdisk /mbr' installs a DOS master boot
        record, I doubt it.  Presumably, any system you might want to
        install is capable of installing a boot record compatible with at
        least itself.

--

                                    "Nyet.  Linux coder in next office."
                                    "Good man.  Ignore the screams."

Post by MAP » Wed, 19 Jan 2000 04:00:00

> :     approach presumes that some form of DOS is available. Is there not a
> :     way to achieve the same end as ``fdisk /mbr'' within the context of
> :     the native operating system -- without the need to bring in DOS?

>         Considering that (AFAIK) `fdisk /mbr' installs a DOS master boot
>         record, I doubt it.  Presumably, any system you might want to
>         install is capable of installing a boot record compatible with at
>         least itself.

this is possible in linux (lilo -u), I don't know in FreeBSD

Removing FreeBSD Boot loader

Post by david parso » Wed, 19 Jan 2000 04:00:00

Quote:>2). I've never quite understood why ``fdisk /mbr'' is the magic
>    incantation. I've seen this both in Linux and FreeBSD newsgroups.
>    This approach presumes that some form of DOS is available.

    Because the context of this question is usually something like

    ``I Installed Windows over my Unix hard disk, but when I try
    to boot my machine, all I get is a LI !''  ... in this case,
    the poor soul usually has enough of the dos/windows scaffolding
    around so that fdisk/mbr will be doable, and by that time their
    copy of dd has been replaced with SOLITARE.EXE.

                  ____
    david parsons \bi/ Ooops
                   \/

Removing FreeBSD Boot loader

Post by MAP » Wed, 19 Jan 2000 04:00:00

I have FreeBSD installed on first disk, I have a second hard disk with
UFS (where before I have NT)....

when FreeBSD starts says me :

F1 FreeBSD
F5 Disk1

or something like that....

I don't want to ask me anything I want to boot directly to FreeBSD
how can i do that??

Post by jan gran » Wed, 19 Jan 2000 04:00:00

> > :     approach presumes that some form of DOS is available. Is there not a
> > :     way to achieve the same end as ``fdisk /mbr'' within the context of
> > :     the native operating system -- without the need to bring in DOS?

> this is possible in linux (lilo -u), I don't know in FreeBSD

If all else fails, this option is available from /stand/sysinstall
(post-install config, fdisk). Leaving the fdisk-partition (slice?)
editor asks which, if any, MBR you wish to install.

Unfortunately, I have a very good idea of how fast my keys are moving.

Removing FreeBSD Boot loader

Post by Tim Daneliu » Wed, 19 Jan 2000 04:00:00

> I have FreeBSD installed on first disk, I have a second hard disk with
> UFS (where before I have NT)....

> when FreeBSD starts says me :

> F1 FreeBSD
> F5 Disk1

> or something like that....

> I don't want to ask me anything I want to boot directly to FreeBSD
> how can i do that??

Quite simple - The FreeBSD loader remembers what you used last.  If you
hit F1 last time (probably) then the loader will show you the prompt,
wait briefly, and then go there for you.  So, even though the prompt
is shown, you do not have to do anything...
Tim Daneliuk

Post by Tore Lun » Wed, 19 Jan 2000 04:00:00

> > I have FreeBSD installed on first disk, I have a second hard disk with
> > UFS (where before I have NT)....

> > when FreeBSD starts says me :

> > F1 FreeBSD
> > F5 Disk1

> > or something like that....

> > I don't want to ask me anything I want to boot directly to FreeBSD
> > how can i do that??

> Quite simple - The FreeBSD loader remembers what you used last.  If you
> hit F1 last time (probably) then the loader will show you the prompt,
> wait briefly, and then go there for you.  So, even though the prompt
> is shown, you do not have to do anything...

Obviously, MAP wants to remove the boot manager altogether, and the only
way I know is to get a DOS system diskette and use FDISK /MBR.  Someone
has already suggested that, so: did it work?

Moreover, MAP should check that his FreeBSD partition is bootable
(active).  I recently forgot that myself and could not for the life of
me understand why I got HIT A KEY TO REBOOT over and over again...
--

1. How does one remove FreeBSD's Boot Loader?

I have a system with one HDD in it. The drive is has two partitions on it, a
C and D drive.  The C drive has Win2K on it, and the D drive has 4.3
FreeBSD.  I have removed FreeBSD from this system, and am now wondering how
can I remove the changes that FreeBSD made to the MBR.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

2. Can you remap STOP-A?

3. boot loader not showing up; installed boot loader record on /dev/hda2

4. Legato

5. Booting Win2000 with FreeBSD's boot loader

6. Jazz drive

7. Boot sector virus warning with FreeBSD boot loader

8. Linux web-server ?

9. Booting FreeBSD 4.x using Win2000 boot loader

10. Removing LILO boot loader

11. remove boot loader

12. Removing x86 boot loader, anyone?

13. Remove Corel Linux Boot Loader????