CD ROM Support For Older Panasonic CD-ROM Drives

CD ROM Support For Older Panasonic CD-ROM Drives

Post by Andrew Sherro » Tue, 11 Aug 1998 04:00:00

I have a problem with my FreeBSD installation.

I have an older Panasonic Drive connected to a Sound16A sound card
(Standard Packard Bell 486 SX Legend set-up). I cannot get FreeBSD 2.2.6
to recognize the drive.  Red Hat Linux accepted it as a standard
Panasonic drive, but FreeBSD tells me there are no CD drives present.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

Thanks.

Andrew Sherrod

1. Linux from Nascent CD-ROM won't mount my panasonic cd-rom drive

        Hi, I just bought the Linux from Nascent CD-ROM and have been attempting
to install it on my 486DX2/66 machine.  I have a cardex SVGA card using a
Cirrus chipset and 1 meg of video ram.  I have 16 megs of 60-ns memory.  I also
have a local bus IDE hard drive controller (32-bit) running two 340-meg
western digital hard drives.  Oh, the video is local bus, too.  I also have
an IOMEGA floptical drive, as well as the almost expected 3.5" and 5.25"
floppies.  I also have a Soundblaster 16 sound card that is driving my CD-drive,
the setup that comes together in a multimedia pack, I forget the exact name,
but it is a fairly standard one.  It is a Panasonic cd-drive by the way.
A panasonic 54- something I think.  When I boot and root my way into Linux,
It won't mount my cd-drive.  Since the program files are all on CD, that
means I can't install.  I followed the instructions for fixing this problemm
in the manual, i.e. "mknod /dev/sbpcd b 25 0"
                    "ln -fs /dev/sbpcd /dev/cdrom"
This looked fine, but when I rebooted, Linux still wouldn't mount my drive.
I even tried getting new root and boot images via anonymous FTP and rawrite.
No dice.  Does anyone have any ideas?  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Mike Van Camp

2. Anti-Viral question

3. Panasonic CD-503 SCSI CD-ROM drive support

4. Dial Up to ISP Failing

5. CD-ROM Drive/CD-ROM Bundle

6. smaba settings

7. Adaptec 1520i with Panasonic CD/PD drive and 4x Oak CD-ROM install HELP!!

8. Floppy access

10. CD-ROM driver for Turtle Beach/Funai 6X CD-ROM?

11. Intsall from CD-ROM without a CD-ROM

12. Strange CD-ROM Issue (aka CD-ROM Problem)

13. PAS 16 CD-ROM and Slakware96, mounting CD-ROM crashes system