ftp boot but network adapter not in Network expanded driver list?

ftp boot but network adapter not in Network expanded driver list?

Post by kam » Thu, 21 Mar 2002 13:57:47

Hello,

We're trying to bring up a FreeBSD system using a network installation
via an FTP site, etc.  The problem is that our network interface isn't
listed in the default adapters and we don't see how to include it as a
device.  It seems you can only modify the IRQ, Port, and Memory
parameters.

DEV   IRQ   Port
IBM EtherJet, CS89x0-based Ethernet Adapter
cs0                0x300
NE1000, NE2000, 3C503, WS/SMC80xx Ethernet Adapter         ed0
10     0x280
Fujitsu MB86960A/MB86865A Ethernet Adapter
fe0                0x300
AT&T StarLan 10 and EN100, 3C507, NI5210 Ethernet Adapter  le0
10         0x300
IsoLan, Novell NE2100/NE32-VL Ethernet Adapter
lnc0  10         0x280
SMC/MegaHertz Ethernet
Adapter                                                 sn0   10
0x300

The adapters that we have access to are and are listed in the
HARDWARE.TXT file are:
   DEC EtherWORKS II and III NICs (le(4) driver)
     * DE203, DE204, DE205

   National Semiconductor DP83815 Fast Ethernet NICs (sis(4) driver)
     * NetGear FA311-TX

The closest similarity to the DE204 I believe is the ed0 adapter.
However, if we choose this device under the Network Interface
information required" screen we cannot get it to list an ethernet
adapter.  If we choose the "lnc0" device it's list on the screen
mentioned but after filling in all the network information it cannot
find the ftp site.

We have no problems manually configuring and running the DEC DE204 under
RedHat Linux 6.x.

Regards,

ftp boot but network adapter not in Network expanded driver list?

Post by John Nielse » Fri, 22 Mar 2002 05:38:43

Quote:> Hello,

> We're trying to bring up a FreeBSD system using a network installation
> via an FTP site, etc.  The problem is that our network interface isn't
> listed in the default adapters and we don't see how to include it as a
> device.  It seems you can only modify the IRQ, Port, and Memory
> parameters.

<snip>

I assume you're talking about the "visual userconfig" screen you can go to
when you boot from the install floppies (or a CD).  You only need to worry
about setting up ISA hardware there--PCI cards are automatically detected.
You should have no trouble using the cards you mentioned.

JN

Post by kam » Fri, 22 Mar 2002 08:06:43

> > Hello,

> > We're trying to bring up a FreeBSD system using a network installation
> > via an FTP site, etc.  The problem is that our network interface isn't
> > listed in the default adapters and we don't see how to include it as a
> > device.  It seems you can only modify the IRQ, Port, and Memory
> > parameters.
> <snip>

> I assume you're talking about the "visual userconfig" screen you can go to
> when you boot from the install floppies (or a CD).  You only need to worry
> about setting up ISA hardware there--PCI cards are automatically detected.
> You should have no trouble using the cards you mentioned.

> JN

Yes I'm talking about the Visual Configuration menu.  However, the CLI
accomplishes the same thing from what we can see.  We're using the
"kern.flp" and "mfsroot.flp" files that we downloaded.

I don't see how to add devices to that list.  Or do we just pick something
similar, ensure that the IRQ and I/O Address are correct and our device
will fall into those categories e.g., ed0?

The DEC DE204 is a ISA-based Ethernet Adapter.  Under Windows 95 it's
addressed at IRQ=10 and I/O=0x280.  You can set the I/O via jumpers
and the OS assigns the IRQ.  The device(s) that looks most similar is the
NE1000, NE2000, 3C503 etc devices but this doesn't work.

In the FreeBSD Handbook, Chapter 2 Installing FreeBSD pg 21 & 22 it
indicates how to view the "Typical Device Probe Results".  However, it
list the devices, we can scroll for 15 seconds and then it move to the next
screen.

At the bottom of the "Typical Device Probe Results" list it indicates

   wait 15 seconds for the SCSI devices to settle.

Two more messages are printed but it happens so fast that we cannot
view them.  The a GUI screen pops up with the following:

   probing devices. Please wait (this can take awhile)

This screen flashes but we can barely make out this message.  Then it
moves to the "Select Sysinstall" screen.  We want to be able to review
the "Typical Device Probe Results" list.  Any idea how to get this to
be available longer?

Any help is appreciated.

Regards,

ftp boot but network adapter not in Network expanded driver list?

Post by kam » Fri, 22 Mar 2002 12:02:52

I found this on the net at:

     http://people.freebsd.org/~rpratt/40/hardware_conflicts.html

It has listed the ethernet adapter that we're using.  Anyone know where I
can get the "kern/mfsroot.flp" files?

     DEC Etherworks 2 and 3 Ethernet adapters      CONF le0      5  0x300

Regards,

---Active-Drivers-----------------8 Conflicts-------Dev---IRQ--Port--
Storage:
 AdvanSys SCSI narrow controller                    adv0
 Adaptec 154x SCSI controller                       aha0
 Adaptec 152x SCSI controller                       aic0
 ATA/ATAPI compatible disk controller               ata0     14 0x1f0
 ATA/ATAPI compatible disk controller               ata1     15 0x170
 Buslogic SCSI controller                           bt0
 Floppy disk controller                             fdc0     6  0x3f0 Network:

 IBM EtherJet, CS89x0-based Ethernet adapters  CONF cs0         0x300
 NE1000,NE2000,3C503,WD/SMC80xx Ethernet adapt CONF ed0      10 0x280
 Fujitsu MD86960A/MB869685A Ethernet adapters  CONF fe0         0x300
 AT&T Starlan 10 and EN100,3C507,NI5210 Ether  CONF ie0      10 0x300
 DEC Etherworks 2 and 3 Ethernet adapters      CONF le0      5  0x300
 Isolan, Novell NE2100/NE32-VL Ethernet adapt  CONF lnc0     10 0x280
 SMC/Megahertz Ethernet adapters               CONF sn0      10 0x300
Communications:
 Parallel Port chipset                              ppc0     7
 8250/16450/16550 Serial port                       sio0     4  0x3f8
 8250/16450/16550 Serial port                       sio1     3  0x2f8
Input:
 Keyboard                                           atkbd0   1
 PS/2 Mouse                                         psm0     12
 Syscons console driver                             sc0
Multimedia:
Miscellaneous:
 PC-card controller                            CONF pcic0    10 0x3e0
 Math coprocessor                                   npx0     13 0xf0
---Inactive-Drivers---------------------------------Dev--------------
Storage:
Network:
Communications:
 8250/16450/16550 Serial port                       sio2
 8250/16450/16550 Serial port                       sio3
Input:
Multimedia:
Miscellaneous:
 PC-card controller                                 pcic1

Post by kam » Fri, 22 Mar 2002 16:13:59

> > Hello,

> > We're trying to bring up a FreeBSD system using a network installation
> > via an FTP site, etc.  The problem is that our network interface isn't
> > listed in the default adapters and we don't see how to include it as a
> > device.  It seems you can only modify the IRQ, Port, and Memory
> > parameters.
> <snip>

> I assume you're talking about the "visual userconfig" screen you can go to
> when you boot from the install floppies (or a CD).  You only need to worry
> about setting up ISA hardware there--PCI cards are automatically detected.
> You should have no trouble using the cards you mentioned.

> JN

We figure this out.  We got the 4.1-RELEASE of the "kern.flp" and
"mfsroot.flp".
When we booted these images the "DEC Etherworks 2 and 3 Ethernet Adapter"
is listed.

When it list the "Typical Device Probe Results" we have the following error
message:

   le0 xxx:  driver didn't set the ifq_maxlen

We ran through the "Tutorial for a Basic Snort/MySQL install on FreeBSD 4.4
Stable".
After providing the FTP site and networking information it almost IMMEDIATELY
returns to prompt indicating it's 'sync'ing the disk and reboots.  It didn't
follow the
sample script exactly.

The following is displayed after booting:

No /boot/loader

Quote:>> FreeBSD/i386 BOOT

Default: 0:fd(0,a)/kernel
boot:
No /kernel

I think it did a PANIC: PAGE FAULT
I wonder if the issue is because we don't see our SCSI controller
listed in the active devices?  Our on-board SCSI is a NCR/Symbios
Logic SCSI Controller.

Any ideas would be appreciated. I think we're getting closer.

regards,

Post by Johann Frisc » Sun, 24 Mar 2002 07:20:25

> (...)
>    le0 xxx:  driver didn't set the ifq_maxlen
> (...)

> I think it did a PANIC: PAGE FAULT
> I wonder if the issue is because we don't see our SCSI controller
> listed in the active devices?  Our on-board SCSI is a NCR/Symbios
> Logic SCSI Controller.

> Any ideas would be appreciated. I think we're getting closer.

Forget about the DEC NIC, it's not really supported anymore and
probably the cause of your kernel panics (See
http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=18641 if you don't believe
me). You wrote you also have a Netgear FA311, so use that one. If you
need two network adapters in that machine I am afraid you must replace
the DEC card with another one or use another OS (or fix the driver...).
--
MfG,
Johann

Post by kam » Sun, 24 Mar 2002 12:51:59

> > (...)
> >    le0 xxx:  driver didn't set the ifq_maxlen
> > (...)

> > I think it did a PANIC: PAGE FAULT
> > I wonder if the issue is because we don't see our SCSI controller
> > listed in the active devices?  Our on-board SCSI is a NCR/Symbios
> > Logic SCSI Controller.

> > Any ideas would be appreciated. I think we're getting closer.

> Forget about the DEC NIC, it's not really supported anymore and
> probably the cause of your kernel panics (See
> http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=18641 if you don't believe
> me). You wrote you also have a Netgear FA311, so use that one. If you
> need two network adapters in that machine I am afraid you must replace
> the DEC card with another one or use another OS (or fix the driver...).
> --
> MfG,
> Johann

Thanks for the response.  We searched the net and found some items similar
to ours but nothing traced it back to the nic card.

We have already switched to our other  nic, NetGear FA311, and can't get
any further. It now errors with the following:

   sis0: <NatSemi DP83815 10/100BaseTX>  irq 0 at device 8.0 on pci0
   sis0: couldn't map ports/memory
   device_probe_and_attach: sis0 attach returned 6

It just hangs with this message.

Any ideas would be appreciated.  We're back to using 4.5-Release.

Regards,

ftp boot but network adapter not in Network expanded driver list?

Post by Johann Frisc » Sun, 24 Mar 2002 18:29:00

Quote:> We have already switched to our other  nic, NetGear FA311, and
> can't get any further. It now errors with the following:

>    sis0: <NatSemi DP83815 10/100BaseTX>  irq 0 at device 8.0 on
>    pci0 sis0: couldn't map ports/memory
>    device_probe_and_attach: sis0 attach returned 6

> It just hangs with this message.

That's usually caused by setting "PNP OS installed" to YES in BIOS
setup. Change it to NO. This problem comes up quite often; I think it
should be mentioned in the FAQ.
--
MfG,
Johann