Weird ifconfig error: ifconfig: ioctl (SIOCAIFADDR): File exists

Weird ifconfig error: ifconfig: ioctl (SIOCAIFADDR): File exists

Post by Ruben van Gog » Tue, 09 Apr 2002 17:54:46

Hello,

my company has a colocated server with 8 ip addresses.
This sunday I cvsupped it to 4-stable. Before I rebooted I had 8 ip adresses
with subnetmask 255.255.255.0.
After the reboot it seemed that the ip adresses didn't work. When I tried:
/sbin/ifconfig fxp0 alias 217.xxx.xxx.xxx it says:
ioctl(SIOCAIFADDR): File exists

This doesn't seem logic to me.
When I try adding it with subnetmask 255.255.255.255 it works. This ip is
accessible. However this doesn't
seem logic to me because it shouldn't be able to reach it's gateway?

Anyone who knows an answer to this?

Ruben van Gogh

Post by Steve Burto » Wed, 10 Apr 2002 17:48:09

> Hello,

> my company has a colocated server with 8 ip addresses.
> This sunday I cvsupped it to 4-stable. Before I rebooted I had 8 ip adresses
> with subnetmask 255.255.255.0.
> After the reboot it seemed that the ip adresses didn't work. When I tried:
> /sbin/ifconfig fxp0 alias 217.xxx.xxx.xxx it says:
> ioctl(SIOCAIFADDR): File exists

> This doesn't seem logic to me.
> When I try adding it with subnetmask 255.255.255.255 it works. This ip is
> accessible. However this doesn't
> seem logic to me because it shouldn't be able to reach it's gateway?

> Anyone who knows an answer to this?

> Ruben van Gogh

Ruben,

the netmask of an aliased IP must be set to 255.255.255.255 if it is on
the same network as the primary (actual) IP of that interface. This
stops broadcasts from that i/f being sent out for every IP and received
by every IP. I mis-configured this on a FreeBSD 2.2.6 box and the
console is unusable as it logs every unexpected packet! I hadn't
considered the other (routing) implication before but as this is a
special case and the machine 'knows' the netmask of the primary IP and
that this IP is an alias it has all the info. needed to get to a gateway.

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Steve.

1. ifconfig : SIOCAIFADDR : File exists

Hi,

I try to make an OpenBSD 2.9 gateway for sharing an ADSL connection on
my home network.
I have a OpenBSD 2.9 (i386) computer with one NIC correctly setup.
But when I try to setup a new NIC on my computer, althought it is
correctly reconized by OpenBSD, when I try to attribute it an IP
addressee I obtain this error message :
ifconfig : SIOCAIFADDR : File exists.

Any solution ?

Julien

2. Stupid windows accessing linux partition

3. ifconfig -a = ifconfig: ioctl (SIOCGIFFLAGS): no such interface

4. Address book for solaris 2.4

5. IP_ALIAS not working: ifconfig returns "SIOCAIFADDR: Invalid argument"

6. comp.unix.sco.misc Administrative FAQ

7. ifconfig le0 and ifconfig le1 show same MAC address

8. Netscape Server Sco OS5.04

9. ifconfig: ioctl (SIOCGIFFLAG

10. boot message: ifconfig interface ep2 does not exist - HELP

11. Error with ifconfig file

12. ifconfig alias - exists under Linux?

13. PPPD with Novell 4.11 ioctl(SIOCAIFADDR, IPX_DLTITF)