Boot and Root file system disks

Post by Craig Stratto » Sat, 25 May 1996 04:00:00

Hi, just a couple of q's.

How do i create a boot disk and root filesystem disk for my system
now that i have it configured how i want it ?

Is there a command similar to 'mkdev fd' in SCO that allows you
to create these disks ?

Or is FreeBSD more flexible. ie if i boot from a standard boot disk,
can i just write everything back from tape to bring the system
back to how it was pre-crash. (assuming a system/disk crash had
occured)

Regards, Craig.

Boot and Root file system disks

Post by James Rayna » Mon, 27 May 1996 04:00:00

Quote:

>How do i create a boot disk and root filesystem disk for my system
>now that i have it configured how i want it ?

First of all, the 'root' disk is only required when installing
FreeBSD. It's possible to make a boot disk, but not as straightforward
as you might expect.

Quote:>Or is FreeBSD more flexible. ie if i boot from a standard boot disk,
>can i just write everything back from tape to bring the system
>back to how it was pre-crash. (assuming a system/disk crash had
>occured)

You can boot off the installation disk and tell it to use the kernel
on the hard disk at the boot prompt, eg

boot: wd(0,a)/kernel

to boot off the first IDE/EIDE hard disk.

The "fixit floppy" is provided for emergency recovery. To create one,
do something like

dd if=/cdrom/floppies/fixit.flp of=/dev/fd0a bs=16384

To use it, select the "use fixit floppy" option in the installation.

--
James Raynard, Edinburgh, Scotland

1. root disk file system and nfs server from boot/root disks.

I have a root disk that was created with rawrite.  It is the color.gz
image.  I would like to mount the root disk and make some modifications
to the disk (adding nfs server capability).

I have tried mounting with various file system types and have had no
luck.

So, how can I mount it to make these modifications, or the bigger
question, how can I easily add nfs server capability to the basic
boot/root disk combination.

Thanks in advance.

Ron

2. Multiple SCSI cards, force different scanning order?

3. root disk file system type and nfs server from boot/root disks.

4. Serial Port break

5. root disk file system and nfs server from boot/root floppies.

6. PEX support for HLHSR

7. what different between boot disk, root disk and emergency disk???

8. Latest Version of Crack

9. Root file system on a floppy disk do not work

10. Can't login as root on SLS 1.02 root/boot disk!

11. Root File System Full Issues/Dual Boot?

12. PXE booting and root file system