FreeBSD on a laptop with Adaptec 1460 PCMCIA card?

FreeBSD on a laptop with Adaptec 1460 PCMCIA card?

Post by John Ioannid » Sun, 17 Aug 1997 04:00:00

I have the following hardware configuration:

   IBM ThinkPad 560E (comes with 2.1G drive and W95 preinstalled).
   Adaptec 1460A PCMCIA SCSI adaptor
   iomega jaz drive
   (other stuff)

I want to run FreeBSD, but keep it entirely (if possible) on the jaz
drive. So I have a few questions:

* is the APA-1460A supported by FreeBSD? I don't see it explicitely
  listed in the hardware compatibility list for 2.2.2, but maybe it
  has an emulation mode of the other Adaptec host adaptors. Failing
  that, is anyone working on a driver for it?

* assuming at least one of the questions in the previous bullet is
  "yes", is it possible to boot directly off the jaz? How about any
  of the following hybrid schemes?

  - boot from floppy, give something like 1:sd(0,a) to the Boot: prompt.
  - boot from floppy, load kernel from floppy, use the jaz as
    root/swap (and everything else).
  - carve a small partition out of the 2G drive on the machine, use
    that as root (and maybe even swap), use the jaz for everything
    else.
  - have a DOS loader and the kernel in the dos filesystem, run the
    loader, have the kernel take control of the jaz.
  - (have I missed anything?)

If everything fails, I can probably wait until the 4G 12mm-high drives
are out and replace the drive on my machine, but I'd rather not have
to do that!

Thanks,

/ji

Post by Stephan Fort » Mon, 18 Aug 1997 04:00:00

> I want to run FreeBSD, but keep it entirely (if possible) on the jaz
> drive. So I have a few questions:
> * is the APA-1460A supported by FreeBSD? I don't see it explicitely

Yes and no. No, it is not supported directly, you have to use some
special boot-floppy and you have to install the PAO Software to
use it after installation.
See: http://www.jp.freebsd/PAO for details.

Quote:> * assuming at least one of the questions in the previous bullet is
>   "yes", is it possible to boot directly off the jaz? How about any
>   of the following hybrid schemes?

No, it won't. The Adaptec 1460 doesn't has boot bios, so you won't be
able to boot directly off an scsi drive.

Quote:>   - boot from floppy, give something like 1:sd(0,a) to the Boot: prompt.

Might work, but you would have to create your own PAO-aware boot floppy.
But at least I don't know how to manage that.

Quote:>   - boot from floppy, load kernel from floppy, use the jaz as
>     root/swap (and everything else).

Woud work also, but I guess its not that fun...

Quote:>   - carve a small partition out of the 2G drive on the machine, use
>     that as root (and maybe even swap), use the jaz for everything
>     else.

THIS seems to be the right way. If your Win95 Partition ist still fat16 you
can use fips to carve out a small partition.

Quote:>   - have a DOS loader and the kernel in the dos filesystem, run the
>     loader, have the kernel take control of the jaz.
>   - (have I missed anything?)

Huh, don't know...

Quote:> If everything fails, I can probably wait until the 4G 12mm-high drives
> are out and replace the drive on my machine, but I'd rather not have
> to do that!

Why not? Seems to be the best way. There are 3GB 2.5" Disks already!

Regards, Stephan

--

Martin-Luther-Str. 55                     voice: +49 6131 581072
55131 Mainz, Germany                      fax:   +49 6131 581073

FreeBSD on a laptop with Adaptec 1460 PCMCIA card?

Post by Mikhail Teter » Wed, 20 Aug 1997 04:00:00

Honorable Stephan Forth

=Might work, but you would have to create your own PAO-aware boot floppy.
=But at least I don't know how to manage that.

He can use the install one for that...

Quote:>>   - boot from floppy, load kernel from floppy, use the jaz as
>>     root/swap (and everything else).

=
=Woud work also, but I guess its not that fun...

If win95 is using the bad old FAT, one can use Win95's paging
file for FreeBSD's swap -- will be much faster, then the jazz.

Quote:>>   - carve a small partition out of the 2G drive on the machine, use
>>     that as root (and maybe even swap), use the jaz for everything
>>     else.

=THIS seems to be the right way. If your Win95 Partition ist still fat16 you
=can use fips to carve out a small partition.

Agreed. Still, win95's paging file should not be wasted.

Get rid of Win95, and set-up a nice Unix laptop...

        -mi

--
        "Windows for dummies"

1. Adaptec APA-1460 PCMCIA Card

I'm using a Toshiba Tecra 720CDT laptop.  Windows 95 is installed on the
built-in hard drive.  I have an Adaptec APA-1460 SCSI card inserted into a
PCMCIA slot with an Iomega JAZ drive attached.  This configuration works
fine with Win95.  I want to install Linux Slackware 96 onto the JAZ drive.
I have made the boot and root diskettes, but the system is not detecting
the Adaptec card.  I have looked through the PCMCIA HOWTO information, but
I can't seem to find any information to help me in this situation since
Linux is not yet installed and therefore I cannot compile a new kernel.

Thanks for any help.

--John

2. Binary debug?

3. Reveal CDROM

4. Installing Mandrake from pcmcia Adaptec 1460 card w/ SCSI cd-rom (works in RedHat!)

5. linux-nfs-0.4.21

6. Problems With Zip Card(Adaptec APA-1460 PC Card)

7. Proxim Wireless LAN problems

8. Adaptec 1460-B Slimline Scsi PCMCIA

9. PCMCIA and Adaptec 1460

10. Adaptec 1460-B Slimline Scsi PCMCIA

11. Iomega Jaz PCMCIA SCSI (Adaptec APA-1460) fails with Linux

12. Adaptec 1480 or 1460 pcmcia scsi