DNS - one ip to many domains

Post by mjgar » Wed, 22 Jul 1998 04:00:00

We have a server running Freebsd with two network cards.  It acts as a
router for an internal network on one card and the other connected to
the internet.  The server is the only comput that has an internet ip
number.  We have a domain name. ie whitley.unimelb.edu.au.   and
currently www.whitley.unimelb.edu.au points to the server.  How can we
have sopt.whitley.unimelb.edu.au point to a computer in our internel
network with out getting a nother ip number.  Is there any way to setup
dns to point to a port on the server that it then redirects.
If you can help please email me.
Thanks
    The Mal

DNS - one ip to many domains

Post by anonymou » Wed, 22 Jul 1998 04:00:00

Sort of difficult as redirection takes place usually by IP address. But it
can also be by port (ie service). Some services like SMTP and NNTP can do
this by their nature without special filtering and aliasing packages.

If an external client connects to a particular port on your internet host,
you can use IPFW with the divert option to send it to an aliasing daemon
like NATD. You'd be using NATD in reverse specifying that a connection on
your internet machine at such and such port should be redirected to another
machine at such and such port.

You should consider the safety of allowing a direct connection to your
internal host though. Once that is compromised your internal network is at
great risk.

Tim

1. Multiple domains on one server with one ip addy...

Hello,

I'm trying to find out how to host 2 domains with one server and one ip
address.

So, currently, I have setup www.aaa.com on my Solaris 9 SPARC. This box is
my nameserver for this domain and also web and mail server for aaa.com. I
use EasyDNS.com as a secondary nameserver for this domain. Everything works
fine.

Now, I want to add a new domain, www.bbb.com, and use this same box to host
it.

Questions I have are:

1) How do I update DNS (named) settings for this new domain? Is there a good
place I can look for info on setting up DNS for two domains (where they are
not sub-domains).

2) I run apache as the webserver. So from what I've read, I would need to
create Virtual hosts in my httpd.conf file. This looks pretty straight
forward. Is this the best approach?

Let me know if you need more information of my setup if it would help.

Brandon

2. no colors in XF3.1.1

3. DNS question: two domains (xxx.org & yyy.net) one machine ... how?

4. Configuring olvwm

5. One server two domain for DNS

6. Any idea what this is ?

7. RESOLVE Domain Names: hosts file FIRST, then DNS????

8. error with scoadmin

9. more than one domain on a DNS

10. Rhat6.0, Flowpoint2200 router, 2 public IP address, 2 Domain Names, Flowpoint 2200 mapping, DNS mapping

11. IP numbers don't replace DNS domain names

12. dns on lan, without registered ip or domain name

13. Two or more DNS domains with same IP