Netscape 3 and java

Post by John J. Rushfo » Mon, 06 May 1996 04:00:00

I've downloaded the BSDI netscape 3 and am trying to get it to run java
applets on my FreeBSD 2.1 machine and have not been sucessful.  I've
put the moz3_0.zip file in every directory location that the README file
mentioned.  I've also set XNLSPATH and XKEYSYMDB.  I can't get it to run
any java applets.  Has anyone else had any success?

thanks
--
John J. Rushford
Westminster, Colorado___/\_/\_

Netscape 3 and java

Post by John J. Rushfo » Sat, 11 May 1996 04:00:00

: >
: > I've downloaded the BSDI netscape 3 and am trying to get it to run java
: > applets on my FreeBSD 2.1 machine and have not been sucessful.  I've
: > put the moz3_0.zip file in every directory location that the README file
: > mentioned.  I've also set XNLSPATH and XKEYSYMDB.  I can't get it to run
: > any java applets.  Has anyone else had any success?
: >
: > thanks
: > --
: > John J. Rushford
: > Westminster, Colorado___/\_/\_

: Am running it under FreeBSD 2.0.5 after installing it EXACTLY as
: specified it the README doc and Java applets plus everything else run
: fine.

: Hanns
: --
: _____________________________________________________________________

: Tel (071) 25 2872___________________________________Fax (071) 28 1877

I've fixed the problem I was having with Netscape3.  It was due a problem

for sending the following procedure to me.  I'm posting this in case anyone
else runs into the same sort of problem.

  If netscape is just leaveing a hole for the applet and not loading it the
  following fix may help:

  --Begin Included Message--

  Date: Wed, 3 Apr 1996 10:20:19 -0500 (EST)
  Subject: Netscape Java Fixed - For REAL!! :-)

  Alright...  This is the real thing (3 people have reported success with
  this one).  Apparently, XFree86 ships with an broken font database in
  /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/misc.  There are certain fonts in the database
  which don't exist in the directory, and apparently this is pissing off
  some of our Xservers (it looks like , the Xserver sends a bad request
  error to a Netscape thread that kills the Java applet).

  Here is the fix (as root):
        cd /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/misc
        /usr/X11R6/bin/mkfontdir

  Then you'll need to restart your Xserver (or just run "xset fp rehash" as
  the non-root user).

  Sujal

--
John J. Rushford
Westminster, Colorado___/\_/\_

Netscape 3 and java

Post by Robert Schi » Sat, 11 May 1996 04:00:00

>> I've downloaded the BSDI netscape 3 and am trying to get it to run java
>> applets on my FreeBSD 2.1 machine and have not been sucessful.  I've
>> put the moz3_0.zip file in every directory location that the README file
>> mentioned.  I've also set XNLSPATH and XKEYSYMDB.  I can't get it to run
>> any java applets.  Has anyone else had any success?

>> thanks
>> --
>> John J. Rushford
>> Westminster, Colorado___/\_/\_

>Am running it under FreeBSD 2.0.5 after installing it EXACTLY as
>specified it the README doc and Java applets plus everything else run
>fine.

It seems to depend what graphics board you have in your machine.
A friend who has an old ET4000 isn't able to see any Java applets, too.
At the university where he works he tried the following:
netscape 3 was started on
one machine and displayed (with xhost +) on two other machines:
On the machine with a S3 board, all applets look fine,on the one
with the ET4000 nothing, well not really nothing. You see some
gaps on the screen where the applet should appear. You get the
feeling that 'there is something', but you cant see it. :-(
It's a litte bit strange.

Robert

Netscape 3 and java

Post by dcmy.. » Sun, 12 May 1996 04:00:00

Quote:

>It seems to depend what graphics board you have in your machine.
>A friend who has an old ET4000 isn't able to see any Java applets, too.
>At the university where he works he tried the following:
>netscape 3 was started on
>one machine and displayed (with xhost +) on two other machines:
>On the machine with a S3 board, all applets look fine,on the one
>with the ET4000 nothing, well not really nothing. You see some
>gaps on the screen where the applet should appear. You get the
>feeling that 'there is something', but you cant see it. :-(
>It's a litte bit strange.

Well, for what it's worth, I have an S3-based board (Diamond Stealth
2MB), and I get the empty-frame behavior with Netscape 3.  That is,
if it doesn't crash just after loading the applet...

This is even after trying the obscure mkfontdir tip.

FreeBSD 2.1R, 16MB RAM, Pentium 90, Asus M/B.

-David

In the systems being developed here, everything is coded in Java. There
are about 100 Java applications each running its own virtual machine.

I'm supposed to work with test and performance analysis of these systems
and I'm using tools that log system behaviour on process level.

The problem is that all I see is 100 processes named Java with some
small variations in command line parameters.

Is there a safe way to alter the process names either at startup or at
runtime ?
What could be the consequences of doing such a thing ?

//Hans Hagberg

2. Newbie qn Viper 550 & RH5.2

3. RedHat 6 and Netscape fix for Java for things like yahoo Java chat applet

4. X-Server for Avance Logic cards.

5. Matrox Mystique ands X.

6. DVD-RAM and Linux with NCR810

7. java/50729: java/jdk14: broken java.net.NetworkInterface calls

8. Pb entering mono-user mode OSR5.05

9. java/47447: linux-sun-jdk1.4.1: java command can't find java.lang.Object

10. WWW Java Netscape

11. Java Media Player as Default in Netscape

12. Netscape: bus error with java