Virtual Machines

Post by Jame » Tue, 13 Nov 2001 01:09:39

Hi all,

I've been experimenting with User Mode Linux (wait before you flame, this is
OT) to set up virtual machines, although it feels to be a bit of a hacking
affair (i.e. it's not likely to be stable). I heard that BSD has supported
this for quite some time but can't find anything on the web. Could anybody
be so kind as to give me a lead?

Thanks,

James

P.S. I posted to netbsd but it looks pretty dormant.

Virtual Machines

Post by jp » Tue, 13 Nov 2001 01:23:41

Quote:> (wait before you flame, this is
> OT)

How is you knowing it is OT supposed to stop me from flaming, exactly?

Quote:> I heard that BSD has supported
> this for quite some time but can't find anything on the web. Could anybody
> be so kind as to give me a lead?

What do you mean? *BSD supports emulating the syscalls of various other
more-or-less unix like OSs just fine. Or do you mean completely booting
up ``a linux'' in userland? Dunno about that, you'll have to search on.

Quote:> P.S. I posted to netbsd but it looks pretty dormant.

Low flow doesn't have to mean parrot-like. You're just being impatient.

Virtual Machines

Post by Devon Rya » Tue, 13 Nov 2001 01:38:43

> Hi all,

> I've been experimenting with User Mode Linux (wait before you flame, this is

Well, I've never used User Mode Linux but I hear (from the recent
slashdot posts) that's it's similar to jail.  I think the difference is
that you're starting multiple instances of the operating system in User
Mode Linux which ought to suck up some massive resources (unless you're
on big iron I suppose).  Jail is handy, it at least used to be a *
to get similar results in the Linux world (we once setup some Mac 5400's
as email stations running Linux PPC or yellowdog or something like that.
  We chrooted netscape for overly paranoid security reasons...and that
took forever and a day to get working correctly).  Under FreeBSD, man
jail for info

--

Biology/Neuroscience, Pre-med | http://www.veryComputer.com/~dpryan

1. Virtual Machines vs. Virtual Hosts - Is it possible?

Date: Wed, 12 Feb 1997 18:14:21 -0500 (EST)

Subject: Sendmail / POP3 stuff

Need to set up 'virtual machines' rather than 'virtual domains'.  The
difference would be that the 'virtual machine' would be fully capable of
virtual ftp, virtual e-mail, virtual www, etc., under its own root
directory.  Ie:  if you telnet to host1.com, you are really telneting to
masterhost.net, into directory /vitrual/host1.  /virtual/host1 is set up
with chroot and can not be broken out of (For users who wish to maintain
thier own servers).  the /virtual/host1 directory will contain its own
/etc, /usr, /var, /bin, etc... directories and config files.

Basicly, one master UNIX host that hosts several VIRTUAL UNIX hosts with
the ability for different config files, pop server, ftp server, etc for
each one.

My other option is to set up all the virtual stuff manually.  (If the
above is not an option, or is too expensive).  One problem that would
present itself is mail.  Apache and wu_ftpd are capable of virtual hosts
with different root directories for each.

What about sendmail, can it be modified to save mail for different
domains in differant sub directories?  And if so, is there a viable
solution for a pop3 daemon that can get the mail for the different
virtual hosts, with a seperate passwd file for each domain?

In other words:

Sendmail is hacked to save mail for somedomain users in
/var/spool/mail/somedomain/username

Otherdomain users in
/var/spool/mail/otherdomain/username

and for regular users in
/var/spool/mail/username

pop3d must recognize the difference between each domain, and get mail from
the apropriate sub dir for the virtual domain.

If / How can this be done? (On either a Sparc Classic / Solaris 2.5.1,
Pentium  / Solaris x86 2.5.1, or Linux (1.2.13, 2.x or 1.3.83 kernals).

Thanks in advance.

Jason

--

finger for contact  | your right to free speech, | Woodstock 94 Medical Team
   information.     |     You shall be free      |

2. No Mouse Pointer from Cheapbytes RH6.0

3. virtual machine

4. tunneling ssh

5. Multiple "Virtual Machines" - Info Request

6. connecting my notebook with paralelle cable

7. (Review ID: 186942) # HotSpot Virtual Machine Error, Internal

8. Changing runlevel order ?

9. (Review ID: 145867) HotSpot Virtual Machine Error : 11

10. Linux virtual machine under linux? (chroot)

11. Pseudo virtual machine

12. Java Virtual Machine

13. x86 virtual machine under FreeBSD?