amd and NIS maps: No source data for map amd.home

amd and NIS maps: No source data for map amd.home

Post by matthew c. me » Wed, 29 Oct 1997 04:00:00

        Hi - I'm currently attempting to get amd to read an NIS
(really Solaris 2.x NIS+ in NIS compat mode - yeah yeah, I know)
map amd.home and apply it to /home.  Unfortunately, I'm not able
to get it to see the NIS map.  I get the error "No source data
for map amd.home".  Does anyone know the proper fix to this
problem?  I'm positive my ypbind is bound to the server, as I can
manually ypcat -k amd.home and see the amd /home map.  I'm
invoking amd like so:
amd -a /.automount -y math.vt.edu -l syslog /home amd.home

        Any thoughts?  Thanks in advance!

-matt

--
Matthew C. Mead

http://www.goof.com/~mmead/

amd and NIS maps: No source data for map amd.home

Post by Bill Pa » Thu, 30 Oct 1997 04:00:00

Daring to challenge the will of the almighty Leviam00se, matthew c. mead

:         Hi - I'm currently attempting to get amd to read an NIS
: (really Solaris 2.x NIS+ in NIS compat mode - yeah yeah, I know)

No you don't. If you really knew, you'd understand exactly why this
is happening. :)

:
:         Any thoughts?  Thanks in advance!
:
: -matt

The Sun rpc.nisd in YP compat mode does not support the YPPROC_ORDER
procedure from NIS v2. (Don't ask me why: Sun just did it that way.)
This can hose amd because it uses yp_order() to check the last update
time of its maps to see whether or not it needs to reload them.

Unfortunately, there's no way to work around this in FreeBSD's NIS client
code: without the YPPROC_ORDER procedure on the server end, yp_order()
will always return an error. The only hack (without having NIS+ available)
is to modify amd to periodically reload its maps regardless of what
yp_order() says.

You might also consider installing the Sun NS Kit on the Solaris box
so that you can use a real ypserv (or set up a FreeBSD ypserv; you
could set up a separate domain just to hold your amd maps and host it
from a FreeBSD box). I also think Solaris 2.6 comes with ypserv bundled.

-Bill

-Bill Paul            (212) 854-6020 | System Manager, Master of Unix-Fu

  "Now, that's "Open" as used in the sentence "Open your wallet", right?"

Post by matthew c. me » Thu, 30 Oct 1997 04:00:00

>Daring to challenge the will of the almighty Leviam00se, matthew c. mead

>:         Hi - I'm currently attempting to get amd to read an NIS
>: (really Solaris 2.x NIS+ in NIS compat mode - yeah yeah, I know)
>No you don't. If you really knew, you'd understand exactly why this
>is happening. :)

        If you'd read your mail, clearly you'd know I do.

Quote:>The Sun rpc.nisd in YP compat mode does not support the YPPROC_ORDER
>procedure from NIS v2. (Don't ask me why: Sun just did it that way.)
>This can hose amd because it uses yp_order() to check the last update
>time of its maps to see whether or not it needs to reload them.

        Yes, yes, didn't you explain this once before?  Or do you
like to see your posts?

Quote:>Unfortunately, there's no way to work around this in FreeBSD's NIS client
>code: without the YPPROC_ORDER procedure on the server end, yp_order()
>will always return an error. The only hack (without having NIS+ available)
>is to modify amd to periodically reload its maps regardless of what
>yp_order() says.

        I know for certain there are workarounds - by
incorporating nisv3 code into the libs (or at least amd's lib) so
that you can use an "NIS+" call to determine map age.  One would
think that interoperability with other operating systems (in this
case, Solaris) would be one of FreeBSD's goals.  Without said
interoperability, what good is the OS?

Quote:>You might also consider installing the Sun NS Kit on the Solaris box
>so that you can use a real ypserv (or set up a FreeBSD ypserv; you
>could set up a separate domain just to hold your amd maps and host it
>from a FreeBSD box). I also think Solaris 2.6 comes with ypserv bundled.

        Well, it's pretty clear I can do that.  It seems like
such a waste, though, to have a dedicated machine to distribute
amd maps.  I don't know for sure whether or not an NIS server and
and NIS+ server in NIS compatibility mode would coexist on a
Solaris machine, but I'd wager not.  Again, a second dedicated
machine.  Clearly, hacking amd to just reload the *y map
every 10 minutes is preferable to this sort of resource waste.

-matt

--
Matthew C. Mead

http://www.veryComputer.com/~mmead/

1. AMD automounter "home" map confusion

Hi

I have an entry in /etc/fstab:

        /dev/sda7      /diska             ext2   defaults  28  2

directly under which are users' home directories. What I want to do is
when I cd into /home/username, amd should actually mount /diska/username under
/amd/username and create a symlink from /home/username to /amd/username
in the same manner as the Sun-style automount daemon. I've looked a the
'amdref' documentation, but am utterly confused. Can anyone help me out
please?

I saw something in the reference documentation about specifying the
device name in the amd config files, but I don't see why I should have
to do that (even if I knew how to, and I don't want to) because the
device is *already* mounted as /diska.

[ The next step after that is to put this into the Linux machine's
NIS maps (it's a NIS server) in such a format that a Solaris NIS client
can use the same map. If anyone has any idea about that to then I'd be
very grateful.

Thanks.

Alexis
--
Alexis Huxley                                             Delfyn on IRC (EFNet)

http://www.danae.demon.co.uk/                PGP key, CV, Unix S/W, info, Rilke
"I think you think I can't think"               Program in 1991 BCM Turing Test

2. Changing something into a <newline> using sed

3. AMD and NIS maps...

4. building 2.8 on a 3000 and using the OS build a 4000

5. AMD for Linux and NIS maps?

6. Volume Man 3.0.4 web gui problem (java error)

7. AMD and NIS Map support

8. __P prefix in pthreads.h

9. Amd, Linux & NIS-maps

10. amd maps over nis