ethernet card problems - NIC down if network burp occurs

ethernet card problems - NIC down if network burp occurs

Post by James Camero » Sun, 01 Nov 1998 04:00:00

Hello,

Seems that my new freebsd box has some serious problems if it loses
connectivity to the network.  This is bad because it is a co-located
machine and access to the console is not quick and easy.

I am running: FreeBSD 2.2-980404-SNAP #0

My card is a:

de0 <Digital 21140A Fast Ethernet> rev 34 int a irq 11 on pci0:10:0
de0: 21140A [10-100Mb/s] pass 2.2
de0: address 00:c0:f0:31:44:31

and if for any reason it loses connectivity to the network and issues:

Oct 16 08:27:05 server /kernel: de0: link down: cable problem?
Oct 16 08:27:16 server /kernel: de0: autosense failed: cable problem?

then it is down until I login at the console and manually ifconfig it.
This is not a good thing since it is hosted at a co-location site
miles away from my location.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

-James Cameron
Matador Design, Inc.

ethernet card problems - NIC down if network burp occurs

Post by Andy Dora » Sun, 01 Nov 1998 04:00:00

Try disabling autosense with whatever DOS utility came with the
card. Set the transciever type specifically to what you're using
at your site.

Andy.

Post by Pascal Gieng » Sun, 01 Nov 1998 04:00:00

> Hello,

> Seems that my new freebsd box has some serious problems if it loses
> connectivity to the network.  This is bad because it is a co-located
> machine and access to the console is not quick and easy.
> and if for any reason it loses connectivity to the network and issues:

> Oct 16 08:27:05 server /kernel: de0: link down: cable problem?
> Oct 16 08:27:16 server /kernel: de0: autosense failed: cable problem?

Disable autosensing by manually selecting media and speed:

ifconfig de0 media 10BaseT/UTP

The de driver will always select 10MBit/sec and the UTP port, so
no more problems. At least this worked for me.

Pascal
--

http://pascal.znet.de/     Pascal Gienger         - is like a fish without

        http://echo.znet.de:8888/ echo \8888:ed.tenz.ohce\\:ptth

ethernet card problems - NIC down if network burp occurs

Post by Luigi Rizz » Mon, 02 Nov 1998 04:00:00

Quote:> Subject: ethernet card problems - NIC down if network burp occurs

> Hello,

> Seems that my new freebsd box has some serious problems if it loses
> connectivity to the network.  This is bad because it is a co-located
> machine and access to the console is not quick and easy.

> I am running: FreeBSD 2.2-980404-SNAP #0

known problem with the "de" driver in -stable, there was a two-line fix
committed at the beginning of september to the 2.2 branch:

--- src/sys/pci/if_de.c 1997/10/25 14:33:16     1.54.2.10

         * No reason to change media if we have the right media.
         */
        tulip_reset(sc);
-       tulip_init(sc);
     }
+    tulip_init(sc);
 }

 static void

        cheers
        luigi

1. Summary: ethernet card down if network burps

Thank you for the helpful suggestions.  The solution I used was to set
the media type manually which disabled the autosense in the card.  My
ifconfig_de0 entry in rc.conf now includes "media 10BaseT/UTP" which
appears to have solved the problem.

This is a known bug in the de driver in -stable and you can also
include a patch to solve it.  Here are the messages I received.
Thanks everyone!

-James Cameron                     Check out WebEvent!  Web calendar software
Matador Design, Inc.               for your intranet, extranet, and Internet
http://www.MatadorDesign.com/      Web sites.

ORIGINAL
--------

[...]

Solution 1:

Disable autosensing by manually selecting media and speed:

ifconfig de0 media 10BaseT/UTP

The de driver will always select 10MBit/sec and the UTP port, so
no more problems. At least this worked for me.

Pascal
--

man
Solution 2:

known problem with the "de" driver in -stable, there was a two-line
fix committed at the beginning of september to the 2.2 branch:

--- src/sys/pci/if_de.c 1997/10/25 14:33:16     1.54.2.10

         * No reason to change media if we have the right media.
         */
        tulip_reset(sc);
-       tulip_init(sc);
     }
+    tulip_init(sc);
 }

 static void

        cheers
        luigi

2. Twinhead Laptop

3. SUNW, hme0:no response from Ethernet network:link down --cable problem ?

4. Finally Online

5. Sunw, hme0: No response from Ethernet network: Link down - - cable problem?

6. Problems running dhcpcd for multiple interfaces

7. Network card bringing down problem

8. HP-UX Modem

9. annoying ethernet problem, aix 4.3 + ibm nic card

10. Very strange, wireless NIC brings down my network!

11. Weird network problem - Second NIC lags terribly when first NIC uses a gateway - Help...?

12. Req. help: TCP/IP suddenly goes down on ethernet network

13. PCMCIA Ethernet Card Driver Problem - SMC EZ Card 10/100 PC Card