FreeBSD & MCA arch. IBM PS/2s

Post by Phil Brutsch » Fri, 20 Nov 1998 04:00:00

I see on www.freebsd.org that FreeBSD does not work with IBM PS/2s.  I
know that Linux needs some patches to work on such a machine - do patches
exist for FreeBSD?

If not, what would be required to get FreeBSD to work with MCA?  The
machine in question is a '386SLC-20 with SCSI and a tolken ring network
card.

Also, is there much interest in MCA patches?  The '386 isn't much to look
at, but there are quite a large number of '486 and Pentium PS/2s with the
MCA bus that would work great with FreeBSD.

Phil Brutsche

"Be of stout heart, Number One.  We've handled the Borg.  We can
certainly handle Admiral Jellico." - Jean-Luc Picard

Help stop spam!  Visit http://www.cauce.org

FreeBSD & MCA arch. IBM PS/2s

Post by Robert D. Key » Fri, 20 Nov 1998 04:00:00

> I see on www.freebsd.org that FreeBSD does not work with IBM PS/2s.  I
> know that Linux needs some patches to work on such a machine - do patches
> exist for FreeBSD?

Some folks are working on patching FreeBSD and NetBSD.

Bob Eager in the UK was doing the FBSD patching, if memory serves
me correctly.  Another UK fellow was doing the NetBSD patches.
Long ago there supposedly were some FBSD folks doing something,
but that seems to have long since vaporized.

Quote:> If not, what would be required to get FreeBSD to work with MCA?  The
> machine in question is a '386SLC-20 with SCSI and a tolken ring network
> card.

On scsi, the main things are the A20 line, handling the card addressing,
and making a workable floppy handling routine.  Most of those could be
borrowed from Linux, and the Debian MCA patches would probably be as
close as one could come to something pre-existing, unless you get old
of IBM's AOS sources and look at the PS/2 Model 6152 Academic Machine
patches to 4.3BSD (most of what is needed is probably there).  The
ESDI things may be a bit more difficult, but the Linux patches probably
would be close again.

Quote:> Also, is there much interest in MCA patches?  The '386 isn't much to look
> at, but there are quite a large number of '486 and Pentium PS/2s with the
> MCA bus that would work great with FreeBSD.

Yes, yes, yes, yes, and more yes.  There are a lot of these old clunkers
around (I have 7 of them mostly running AIX), and they would make useful
light servers and boxes for the hobbyist folks.  I was trying it, but
don't have enough time of late to do as much as I would like.

RDK

PS/2 boxes are dinosuars, but what the heck, they could use a good BSD, too.

FreeBSD & MCA arch. IBM PS/2s

Post by Phil Brutsch » Sat, 21 Nov 1998 04:00:00

> > I see on www.freebsd.org that FreeBSD does not work with IBM PS/2s.  I
> > know that Linux needs some patches to work on such a machine - do patches
> > exist for FreeBSD?

> Some folks are working on patching FreeBSD and NetBSD.

> Bob Eager in the UK was doing the FBSD patching, if memory serves
> me correctly.  Another UK fellow was doing the NetBSD patches.
> Long ago there supposedly were some FBSD folks doing something,
> but that seems to have long since vaporized.

Any URLs to the remains of what he was working on?

Post by Robert D. Key » Sun, 22 Nov 1998 04:00:00

>> Some folks are working on patching FreeBSD and NetBSD.

>> Bob Eager in the UK was doing the FBSD patching, if memory serves
>> me correctly.  Another UK fellow was doing the NetBSD patches.
>> Long ago there supposedly were some FBSD folks doing something,
>> but that seems to have long since vaporized.

> Any URLs to the remains of what he was working on?

Bob is supposed to be bringing together a set for use sometime
after the first of the year.  I dunno where the early stuff went
to.  It was hinted at in early install guides, but I have never
found it.

I would wait for his stuff to come out.  He posts occasionally on
the ps2 hardware list, so you might check there.

RDK

1. Can I use FreeBSD on a [MCA] IBM PS/2 55SX ?

I have an old IBM PS/2 55SX (Microchannel) with a 386SX, 8 MB RAM and
80 MB disk. I though I'd use it to try FreeBSD with a minimal system
and possibly running Apache to try some CGI scripts.
Is it possible with this machine ?

Thank you for any help.

--
Miguel Almeida

2. ATI Radeon ALL-IN-WONDER....

3. Linux and IBM PS/2s

4. Two PCI cards

5. IBM Micro Channel Port MCA PS/2

6. glibc 2.0 -> 2,1

7. Help w/IBM PS/2 MCA SCSI Install

8. Solaris 2.5.1 Vs SunOS 5.5.1

9. can't boot RedHat v6.0 on IBM PS/2 MCA system

10. IBM PS/2 MCA Support

11. Help w/IBM PS/2 MCA SCSI Install

12. IBM PS/2 MCA Patch?

13. Kernal Panic Error Installing RH6.0 IBM PS/2 77 MCA Machine