Mixing SCSI and IDE disks

Post by Doug Hard » Thu, 15 Jun 2000 04:00:00

I am using SCSI 2 wide disks for my server for performance reasons.
However, I now have a new application that requires a lot of storage but
is only very infrequently accessed and there are no performance
requirements.  I am considering using IDE disks as they are much cheaper.
Will FreeBSD support a mixture of SCSI and IDE disks?

Mixing SCSI and IDE disks

Post by cwan.. » Thu, 15 Jun 2000 04:00:00

Yes. Just make sure your kernel is configured with ide support.

Quote:> I am using SCSI 2 wide disks for my server for performance reasons.
> However, I now have a new application that requires a lot of storage
but
> is only very infrequently accessed and there are no performance
> requirements.  I am considering using IDE disks as they are much
cheaper.
> Will FreeBSD support a mixture of SCSI and IDE disks?

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Mixing SCSI and IDE disks

Post by Christian Anzenberge » Thu, 15 Jun 2000 04:00:00

> Will FreeBSD support a mixture of SCSI and IDE disks?

I am using a mixture of 4 SCSI-disks, 1 IDE-Disk, 1 ZIP, 1 DAT, 1 CDROM
with several variants of BSD, Linux and Solaris without any problems.

Mixing SCSI and IDE disks

Post by Wilko Bul » Thu, 15 Jun 2000 04:00:00

Quote:>I am using SCSI 2 wide disks for my server for performance reasons.
>However, I now have a new application that requires a lot of storage but
>is only very infrequently accessed and there are no performance
>requirements.  I am considering using IDE disks as they are much cheaper.
>Will FreeBSD support a mixture of SCSI and IDE disks?

Yes.

--
Wilko Bulte             http://www.freebsd.org  "Do, or do not. There is no try"

Mixing SCSI and IDE disks

Post by rtsa » Sat, 17 Jun 2000 04:00:00

> I am using SCSI 2 wide disks for my server for performance reasons.
> However, I now have a new application that requires a lot of storage but
> is only very infrequently accessed and there are no performance
> requirements.  I am considering using IDE disks as they are much cheaper.
> Will FreeBSD support a mixture of SCSI and IDE disks?

You shouldn't have any problems. They work great for me.

1. Mixing SCSI and IDE hard disks

Hi everyone,

I want to add a new hard drive - aprox. 2.5 GB - to a computer that runs
Linux as its primaty OS, in order to install Windows 95 on it (I know,
but this computer isn't mine so this was not my decision). I'd like to
be able th see this drive from Linux, as well.
The computer currently has two SCSI hard drives. The first one (4 GB) is
a single Linux partition, used for data storage. The second, holds a 300
MB partition for DOS, a 700 MB partiotion for Linux and an 80 MB
partition for Linux swap. The SCSI card currently has 6 devices
connected to it so I'm thinking of bying an IDE disk.
Does anybody know of any problems with mixing SCSI with IDE hard disks
under Linux? Which is the best choice in your opinion, SCSI or IDE?
Finally, are there any problems with some disk configuration I should
know about?

Current configuration:

Processor: Pentium 166 Mhz.

Ram: 32 MB

Motherboard ASUS P/I-P55T2P4 512 MB Cache Ram

Hard Disks:
i) Seagate ST1080N Fast SCSI-2 1080 MB and
ii)Seagate ST34371N Ultra SCSI 4350 MB

SCSI card: ADAPTEC 2940 OEM, PCI (currently 5 devices are connected to
this card)

2 DAT Streamers SCSI HPC1536 2-4 GB

1 Pioneer CD-ROM SCSI-2

Thanks
--
Message by Pantelis via the BlueSteemer

2. Pause

3. disklabel woes with mixed SCSI/IDE disks

4. usb 2.0 external hard drive problems

5. RH6.0, mixed ide-cd and ide-scsi?

6. multiple IP addrs on single net interface

7. anyone able to boot from SCSI in mixed SCSI/IDE system???

8. KOffice Workspace Parts duplicated

9. LILO Install on a mixed IDE/SCSI setup -- Do I need the SCSI card bios enabled?

10. Can I boot SCSI in a SCSI/IDE mixed system?

11. SCSI & IDE Mixing Problems

12. mixing SCSI and IDE to hold UNIXWARE and LINUX?

13. SCSI and IDE hard drives mixed for Linux?