IDE CD ROM Configuration required for installation

IDE CD ROM Configuration required for installation

Post by David Anderso » Mon, 12 Apr 1999 04:00:00

Hi All
I am trying to configure FreeBSD 2.28 to recognise my Samsung IDE CD ROM so
that I can complete my installation of copying /bin files etc from above CD
set to to my hard drive. Note: my CD set of version 3.1 will not work when I
try D:\install (I get this from the DOS 6.2 "fbsdboot.exe -D kernel Bad
command or file name" so I am forced to use my earlier version which came
with "The Complete FreeBSD" book.

I have searched previous postings on the IDE CD ROM problem and I have found
"mount -t cd9660 /dev/wcd0c /cdrom" is the required command line. The
question I want to ask the group is:

(i) Where exactly do I use this instruction?

My feeling is that this is part of the FreeBSD DiskLabel Editor settings,
the book touches on this with mounting of a disk drive and second CD ROM but
as a real newbie I dont understand where exactly I should enter this command
line, and in what file partition etc? My set up with 8megs RAM 486 at this
stage is

Part        Mount        Size        Newfs
===========================
wd0sa    /                   20MB    UFS  Y
wd0s1b  swap           64MB    SWAP
wd0s1e  /usr              118MB  UFS  Y

Any help would much appreciated.
Dave

Post by Andrey V. Shvets-Shus » Thu, 15 Apr 1999 04:00:00

> Hi All
> I am trying to configure FreeBSD 2.28 to recognise my Samsung IDE CD ROM so
> that I can complete my installation of copying /bin files etc from above CD
> set to to my hard drive. Note: my CD set of version 3.1 will not work when I
> try D:\install (I get this from the DOS 6.2 "fbsdboot.exe -D kernel Bad
> command or file name" so I am forced to use my earlier version which came
> with "The Complete FreeBSD" book.

> I have searched previous postings on the IDE CD ROM problem and I have found
> "mount -t cd9660 /dev/wcd0c /cdrom" is the required command line. The
> question I want to ask the group is:

> (i) Where exactly do I use this instruction?

> My feeling is that this is part of the FreeBSD DiskLabel Editor settings,
> the book touches on this with mounting of a disk drive and second CD ROM but
> as a real newbie I dont understand where exactly I should enter this command
> line, and in what file partition etc? My set up with 8megs RAM 486 at this
> stage is

> Part        Mount        Size        Newfs
> ===========================
> wd0sa    /                   20MB    UFS  Y
> wd0s1b  swap           64MB    SWAP
> wd0s1e  /usr              118MB  UFS  Y

> Any help would much appreciated.
> Dave

# dmesg

can you find your samsung cd-rom drive there?

IDE CD ROM Configuration required for installation

Post by David Anderso » Fri, 16 Apr 1999 04:00:00

Hi Andrey

Quote:

># dmesg

>can you find your samsung cd-rom drive there?

I take it that this syntax is used when the kernel is installed?
My problem is that I am unable to install the kernel at this stage and I
think its because FreeBSD is not configured to recognise the cd-rom player.
I am trying to understand how I set BSD in config to recognise the cd-rom.
Note the hardware probe recognises the cd-rom player but I am unable to set
it up in config as the default cd-rom.

Any help from anyone would be appreciated this is causing me a lot of
problems.

David Anderson

Post by Andrey V. Shvets-Shus » Fri, 16 Apr 1999 04:00:00

> Hi Andrey

> ># dmesg

> >can you find your samsung cd-rom drive there?

> I take it that this syntax is used when the kernel is installed?

No. During installation:
- you must enable your IDE controrrers;
- remove all devices that you have not;
- remove all i/o conflicts;

When freebsd is trying to identify your devices press alt+f2.
You'll see your NDD's and CDROM.

Quote:

> My problem is that I am unable to install the kernel at this stage and I
> think its because FreeBSD is not configured to recognise the cd-rom player.
> I am trying to understand how I set BSD in config to recognise the cd-rom.
> Note the hardware probe recognises the cd-rom player but I am unable to set
> it up in config as the default cd-rom.

> Any help from anyone would be appreciated this is causing me a lot of
> problems.

> David Anderson

Can you give me more details?
What do you mean "I am unable to install the kernel..."?
After device probing can you see installation menu?

IDE CD ROM Configuration required for installation

Post by David Anderso » Fri, 16 Apr 1999 04:00:00

Hi Andrey and others

Quote:

>> ># dmesg

>> >can you find your samsung cd-rom drive there?

>> I take it that this syntax is used when the kernel is installed?

>No. During installation:
>- you must enable your IDE controrrers;
>- remove all devices that you have not;
>- remove all i/o conflicts;

ok I just have
================
floppy disk controller    fdc0
IDE                             wdc0
=================
DEBUG at end of hardware probe says
========================
DEBUG:Found a CDROM device for /dev/wcd0c
DEBUG:Found a floppy device for /dev/fd0
DEBUG:Found a disk device named wd0
DEBUG: Found a DOS partition wd0s1 on drive wd0
========================
....no found for IDE...?????

I'm having installation problems at the point where files from /bin are to
be copied to be used by FreeBSD kernel. The read starts out ok then quickly
slows before stopping completely. I get the following message "unable to
transfer the /bin distribution from CD". I get a similar message when I
try to copy the files from wd0s1.

Perhaps its more a some type of driver conflict between IDE harddrive and
IDE CD ROM???

Quote:>Can you give me more details?
>What do you mean "I am unable to install the kernel..."?
>After device probing can you see installation menu?

Yes I get up to Installation menu (use Novice installation) through to
copying of /bin files. I have managed to get a copy but it took hours and
attempted to copy other file types /lib /xfiles which I never specified
.....the results I have discussed in another posting on this list. The
kernel is not installed - when I reboot I get "Cant find boot.config cant
find kernel.config".

I have been C programming for the last 2 years and I have never encountered
a more frustrating situation as this one.....if there is anyone else who can
help please do.

Dave

1. Required kernel that supports second IDE/second channel for CD-ROM

        The problem isn't lack of CD-ROM support in your older kernel.  The
problem is that you don't have the CD-ROM drive set to act as Master if it
is the only EIDE device on the cable.  If there's one already set to Master
on that channel, set the CD-ROM to Slave.

        To be honest, the broken flock emulation hasn't bothered me that
much.  I dunno what it will break, though, or when it will be fixed.

2. Is there a list of compatible videocards for x window?

3. Problems with 2nd IDE i/f and IDE CD-ROM on Compaq Presario CDS 972

4. Can anyone explain this 2 me???

5. IDE CD Writer and IDE CD-ROM

6. FIPS and FAT32?

7. New IDE-CD/extended IDE driver supports Sony 55E ATAPI CD-ROM!

8. ICMP: Could not build IP Header..

9. replacing IDE CD-ROM with IDE CD-RW - kernel panic!

10. Upgrading to SCSI CD-ROM from IDE CD-ROM

11. NEC CDR-260 CD-ROM (Gateway IDE CD-ROM)

12. IDE/ATAPI CD-ROM and Que/CD-ROM setup

13. Changing IDE CD-ROM configuration