java in netscape = bus error core dump

java in netscape = bus error core dump

Post by ris.. » Mon, 19 Oct 1998 04:00:00



Anyone running Java since 4.05 on FreeBSD?

I can not get Java programs ("Starting Java..." at the status line, then
core dump) running in any version (FreeBSD or Linux, 4.06, 4.07 or 4.5b2)
on FreeBSD.

Anyone else have this prooblem, or is it just me?

Risner

 
 
 

java in netscape = bus error core dump

Post by Anthony Jenkin » Mon, 19 Oct 1998 04:00:00



> Anyone running Java since 4.05 on FreeBSD?

> I can not get Java programs ("Starting Java..." at the status line, then
> core dump) running in any version (FreeBSD or Linux, 4.06, 4.07 or 4.5b2)
> on FreeBSD.

> Anyone else have this prooblem, or is it just me?

Hmm... they've all worked for me out of the box, up to 4.5b2 (sporadic
lockups, but no core dump).  A diskspace-expensive debug might be to
`ktrace netscape <some-java-site>' then `kdump -f ktrace.out | tail -n
200 | more' if you have kernel debugging enabled; not sure if gdb'ing
the core dump would be useful if Netscape stripped the binary.  Do you
have CLASSPATH set or something?

Grabbing at straws,
--
Anthony Jenkins (aka Scoobi_doo at yahoo.com, Computer sections)
http://www.auburn.edu/~jenkian
------
Doh - Homer Simpson

 
 
 

java in netscape = bus error core dump

Post by Robert E. Mack, Jr » Mon, 19 Oct 1998 04:00:00


I'm running FreeBSD 2.2.6.  Netscape 4.04 works.  4.5 core dumps in java.

> Anyone running Java since 4.05 on FreeBSD?

> I can not get Java programs ("Starting Java..." at the status line, then
> core dump) running in any version (FreeBSD or Linux, 4.06, 4.07 or 4.5b2)
> on FreeBSD.

> Anyone else have this prooblem, or is it just me?

> Risner

 
 
 

java in netscape = bus error core dump

Post by Martin Dieringe » Tue, 20 Oct 1998 04:00:00



> I'm running FreeBSD 2.2.6.  Netscape 4.04 works.  4.5 core dumps in java.


> > Anyone running Java since 4.05 on FreeBSD?

> > I can not get Java programs ("Starting Java..." at the status line, then
> > core dump) running in any version (FreeBSD or Linux, 4.06, 4.07 or 4.5b2)
> > on FreeBSD.

I set following before running netscape (in a bash-script):

export LC_CTYPE=C
export MOZILLA_HOME=/path/to/netscape/navigator/
export CLASSPATH=/path/to/netscape/navigator/java/classes/java40.jar:$CLASSPATH

(I didn't install by ports, just extracted the tar-file)

Well, all netscapes so far worked including 4.5b1, but on 4.5b2
Java doesn't run at all, but also it doesn't dump core on Java.

Martin

 
 
 

java in netscape = bus error core dump

Post by ris.. » Wed, 21 Oct 1998 04:00:00



> Hmm... they've all worked for me out of the box, up to 4.5b2 (sporadic
> lockups, but no core dump).  A diskspace-expensive debug might be to
> `ktrace netscape <some-java-site>' then `kdump -f ktrace.out | tail -n
> 200 | more' if you have kernel debugging enabled; not sure if gdb'ing
> the core dump would be useful if Netscape stripped the binary.  Do you
> have CLASSPATH set or something?

Ok, It might have been 4.05 where it died.

But here is some info:

% ktrace -d netscape http://www.javalobby.org
Bus error (core dumped)
% kdump | tail -30

        \M^A(\0\0\0\0\0"
 16411 communicator-4.0pV) RET   read 32/0x20
 16411 communicator-4.0pV) CALL  read(0x8,0xefbfa180,0x20)
 16411 communicator-4.0pV) GIO   fd 8 read 32 bytes

        \^A\0\0\0"
 16411 communicator-4.0te 16411 communicator-4.0te                               >` CALL  write(0x8,0xb4e800,0x40)



        \M^A(\0\0\0\0\0"
 16411 communicator-4.0pV) RET   read 32/0x20
 16411 communicator-4.0pV) CALL  read(0x8,0xefbfa194,0x20)
 16411 communicator-4.0pV) GIO   fd 8 read 32 bytes

        \^A\0\0\0"
 16411 communicator-4.0ue 16411 communicator-4.0ue 16411 communicator-4.0ue 16411 communicator-4.0ue 16411 communicator-4.0ue 16411 communicator-4.0ue 16411 communicator-4.0ue
If you look at the rest of it, you see it open all the Java files.
It seems when it starts the VM or so, when it is actually RUNNING the code
is when it core dumps.

Risner

 
 
 

java in netscape = bus error core dump

Post by ris.. » Wed, 21 Oct 1998 04:00:00



> I can not get Java programs ("Starting Java..." at the status line, then
> core dump) running in any version (FreeBSD or Linux, 4.06, 4.07 or 4.5b2)
> on FreeBSD.

More news, I have not verified yet.  But someone told me Java core
dumps at 24 bit.  I am running 16 bit video with Xfree86.  Anyone
else?  I will try 15 bit, 8 bit, and 24 bit tonight.  I have to have more
than 8 bit tho, since I can't survive on 256 colors.

Risner

 
 
 

java in netscape = bus error core dump

Post by Martin Dieringe » Wed, 21 Oct 1998 04:00:00




> > I can not get Java programs ("Starting Java..." at the status line, then
> > core dump) running in any version (FreeBSD or Linux, 4.06, 4.07 or 4.5b2)
> > on FreeBSD.

> More news, I have not verified yet.  But someone told me Java core
> dumps at 24 bit.  I am running 16 bit video with Xfree86.  Anyone
> else?  I will try 15 bit, 8 bit, and 24 bit tonight.  I have to have more
> than 8 bit tho, since I can't survive on 256 colors.

Mine are running ok on 24bit
Look for CLASSPATH, MOZILLA_HOME and that you copy/move/link *.jar to
netscape/java/classes
 
 
 

java in netscape = bus error core dump

Post by Dan Yerge » Wed, 21 Oct 1998 04:00:00






>> > I can not get Java programs ("Starting Java..." at the status line, then
>> > core dump) running in any version (FreeBSD or Linux, 4.06, 4.07 or 4.5b2)
>> > on FreeBSD.

>> More news, I have not verified yet.  But someone told me Java core
>> dumps at 24 bit.  I am running 16 bit video with Xfree86.  Anyone
>> else?  I will try 15 bit, 8 bit, and 24 bit tonight.  I have to have more
>> than 8 bit tho, since I can't survive on 256 colors.

>Mine are running ok on 24bit

I had problems with a 24bit depth where the bits_per_pixel was also
24 bits (check with xdpyinfo)

 supported pixmap formats:
    depth 1, bits_per_pixel 1, scanline_pad 32
    depth 24, bits_per_pixel 32, scanline_pad 32
                             ^^ if this 24 or if your buttons are
monochrome, the pixmap format may not be supported by netscape/java

With 24/32, the only recent netscape/java problems I've had were
with netscape getting "unexpected async xlib event" or something
like that.  Netscape gets very confused when this happens.  So far,
I've only seen those with 4.06 and 4.5b1 when I had multiple browser
windows open (I'm currently running 4.07 [Linux] and 4.5b2 [FreeBSD]
on FreeBSD 2.2.5).  I'm guessing that this was a bug that was
introduced with the "New Event Model" for Java and JavaScript in
4.06, though I wasn't able to reproduce it on anything other than my
FreeBSD machine.

Dan

 
 
 

java in netscape = bus error core dump

Post by ris.. » Thu, 22 Oct 1998 04:00:00



> Mine are running ok on 24bit
> Look for CLASSPATH, MOZILLA_HOME and that you copy/move/link *.jar to
> netscape/java/classes

I just tried pixel depth:
8, 15, 16, 24, and 32.
None worked.

They all bus error or segment violate.

I have CLASSPATH and MOZILLA_HOME and the *.jar's, since if you do a
ktrace you can see it LOADING all the .jar's.  Plus the script that runs
netscape is like:

akira: {502} cat /usr/local/bin/netscape
#!/bin/sh
export MOZILLA_HOME; MOZILLA_HOME=${MOZILLA_HOME:=/usr/local/lib/netscape}
#export CLASSPATH ; CLASSPATH=.:$MOZILLA_HOME
export XKEYSYMDB; XKEYSYMDB=/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/XKeysymDB
export XCMSDB; XCMSDB=/dev/null
export LC_CTYPE=C
export CLASSPATH=$MOZILLA_HOME/java/classes/java40.jar:$CLASSPATH
exec $MOZILLA_HOME/communicator-4.07.bin $*

I hate it when something fails that should not fail...

Risner

 
 
 

1. Q: Netscape 4.05 Bus error (core dump) starting Java...

I just installed Netscape Navigator 4.05 (native FreeBSD version)
on a 2.2.5-Release system and am finding that it crashes with
a Bus error when it tries to start (load & run) a Java applet.

Everything is stored under /usr/local/lib/netscape/ ,
and MOZILLA_HOME points there, too.
Permissions on the *.jar files appear reasonable (644, owned by root).

I've been using Navigator 3.04 compiled for Intel BSD systems for a while,
and it behaves as advertised [i.e., Java applets load & run properly].

Has anyone seen this behavior?
Is there something other configuration point I'm missing to make this
work as advertised?

Cheers -- Gary

--

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

2. Parport Iomega Zip with imm module, kernel 2.2.1

3. Help needed: Bus error with Netscape browser & core dump with Arena

4. so slow

5. Netscape 3.01 Java Bus Error Error Fixed!

6. help converting csh script to ksh?

7. solaris 2.8 mu7 & netscape 6.2.3 -- core dump with java

8. ELF?? Definition

9. Core Dump - Bus Error

10. NCSA htppd 1.5 gives Bus Error (core dumped) !!

11. Bus error (core dumped) !please help!

12. FreeBSD Perl Core Dump (bus error)

13. Bus error - core dump