A really basic question about installing BSD

A really basic question about installing BSD

Post by Joe » Mon, 31 Dec 2001 01:47:57

Yes, a real NEWBIE!!

I downloaded an ISO image (4.4) but have no idea how to get it installed from
the image. Can I somehow make the ISO image bootable onto a CD??  I checked a
few sites and can't find any info.

Could someone point me to the written word that will rescue me from this hell?

Thanks,
Joe

Post by Dominic Mark » Mon, 31 Dec 2001 02:11:32

> Yes, a real NEWBIE!!

> I downloaded an ISO image (4.4) but have no idea how to get it
> installed from
> the image. Can I somehow make the ISO image bootable onto a CD??  I
> checked a few sites and can't find any info.

> Could someone point me to the written word that will rescue me from
> this hell?

http://www.freebsd.org/handbook/index.html

Read the chapter on installation.

Quote:> Thanks,

--
Dominic

Post by Erlend Gar?se » Mon, 31 Dec 2001 03:56:05

> Yes, a real NEWBIE!!

> I downloaded an ISO image (4.4) but have no idea how to get it installed from
> the image. Can I somehow make the ISO image bootable onto a CD??  I checked a

You also have to enter the BIOS setup, so the computer will boot from
the CD-ROM at startup (it's also possible to boot from a floppy, but
since you're a newbie, I recommend that you do this from the CD-ROM).

Post by Bill Vermilli » Mon, 31 Dec 2001 03:41:07

>Yes, a real NEWBIE!!
>I downloaded an ISO image (4.4) but have no idea how to get it
>installed from the image. Can I somehow make the ISO image bootable
>onto a CD?? I checked a few sites and can't find any info.

If you took the image and used a program that can transfer disk
images in standard ISO format - I have used both Easy Creator and
Prassi - and if you transfered it into an MSmachine with those on
it using BINARY transfer - then if your computer supports booting
from CD it should work just fine.

Quote:>Could someone point me to the written word that will rescue me from
>this hell?

After burning the above CD you can also mount it on your MS system
and you will see information at various places, such as how to build
floppies on an MS machine if your system won't boot from CD.

Post by James Fre » Thu, 03 Jan 2002 12:23:45

> Yes, a real NEWBIE!!

> I downloaded an ISO image (4.4) but have no idea how to get it installed
> from
> the image. Can I somehow make the ISO image bootable onto a CD??  I
> checked a few sites and can't find any info.

> Could someone point me to the written word that will rescue me from this
> hell?

> Thanks,
> Joe

Joe,
  I found myself in your position at one point so I understand what you're
talking about. If you have Adaptec Easy CD Creator then you can just select
"Create CD from ISO" and select the 4.4.iso file. The program knows what to
do with it. Probably the same, if not very similar with other CD burner
programs as well. Once you have the CD ready, you can reboot with the ISO
CD in your drive (like mentioned in an earlier reply, make sure you have
your computer bios selected to search you CDrom on boot up first). After
your computer boots to your kernel, it'll go into the install program and
everything's nicely documented from there.
FreeBSD is great! I'm an ex-Windoze user and I never want to go back!!
Have fun!!!

\James

1. Proposal for bsd.port.mk -- [really about bsd.java.mk which then gets included]

Comments:

Variables--

The variables cover my needs in this area.  I think that actual
implementation will result in some proliferation though because it's
considerably easier two implement a variable with two states in a make
script than one with poly states.  :)

Also, in playing around with building a bsd.java.mk, I've already found
that defining variables like:

JAVA_CMD        # full path to selected java
JAVAC_CMD       # full path to selected javac
JAR_CMD         # full path to selected jar
JAVA_LIB        # full path of directory holding tools.jar or
classes.zip

become critically useful once you get to attempting an implementation.

Selection Order --

The runtime ordering makes great sense--theoretically.  Practically,
it's effect is the same as the current use of dependency on JDK 1.1.8.
I believe it makes sense to implement the full rigor of this selection
process only after Sun and the Foundation have arrived at an agreement
that allows higher-order JDK's and JRE's to be built AND distributed by
FreeBSD.  Until that time, rules 3 and 4 should be skipped.

But, we're making progress!

Now, we need some competing implementations so the gory details can be
worked out.

jmc                               ||  MacroHard --                   \
                                   ||     the perfection of form over |

2. Linux-based app for Mac "Stuffit" files?

3. Really basic newbie question

4. Sendmail problem

5. Really basic script input question

6. EIDE disk questions again....Cyn > 1024

7. A Really Basic Question

8. 3com 900B-combo

9. Really basic questions about Solstice Backup 6.1

10. really basic hostname question

11. really basic questions

12. RH6.0: Really basic login question

13. a really basic question: calendar manager's window name