Problems with ESD

Post by Tim » Tue, 06 Feb 2001 04:08:59

Does anyone know where I can find documentation on ESD?  I have been
trying for weeks to get sound working under X.  I can get sound If i'm
logged into X as root, however I have yet to be able to get sound working as
a non-root user.  I know that my permissions are correct on all of my
devices ( all of them are 666 ).  This leads me to believe that my
problem is with esd, however I wasn't even able to find a man page on
using esd.

BTW I am mainly trying to get XMMS to run but I can't even get sounds to
work in gnome. ( everything works great when I run as root. )

The error I keep getting is "device buisy /dev/dsp

Problems with ESD

Post by ewdaf » Mon, 05 Feb 2001 07:11:15

change XMMS preferences to use ESD to output sounds instead of OSS.
ive had some trouble getting all of this stuff working too, i got a SBLive
and for some reason it cant play multiple sounds like it can under linux.
hm, oh well.
 -ed

Quote:> Does anyone know where I can find documentation on ESD?  I have been
> trying for weeks to get sound working under X.  I can get sound If i'm
> logged into X as root, however I have yet to be able to get sound working
as
> a non-root user.  I know that my permissions are correct on all of my
> devices ( all of them are 666 ).  This leads me to believe that my
> problem is with esd, however I wasn't even able to find a man page on
> using esd.

> BTW I am mainly trying to get XMMS to run but I can't even get sounds to
> work in gnome. ( everything works great when I run as root. )

> The error I keep getting is "device buisy /dev/dsp

1. Problems w/esd (Esound) on MkLinux R1

I am running MkLinux R1 (Pre-Release) on my 6100/66 and am trying to turn
it into a MP3 jukebox. However I have come across a problem that I have no
idea how to resolve. When I run mpg123 esd (Esound) attempts to find a
supported sound format, (I wish I could just paste it, but I don't have it
on the network and couldn't get it to redirect the output to a file for
some reason) it goes through all of them really quickly saying
"Unsupported sound format: x" where x is either a 0, 32, 33, or some
number in the 41xx range. When it gets to the end it says:

Sound device inadeqaite for Esound. Fatal.
Unsupported sound format: 4112
audio: Interrupted system call

Any help on this matter would be greatly appreciated. =)

2. virtual memory address, L64853A

3. Problems with ESD

4. Anyone gotten LILO working with SLS??

5. AWE 64 and Esound (esd) problem

6. Help: Linux won't boot anymor

7. esd problem

8. A request for help!