Virtual Server

Post by Andrew » Thu, 24 Oct 2002 17:17:31

Is there any similiar approach or project like
http://www.linuxvirtualserver.org in FreeBSD ?

Andrew

Virtual Server

Post by ScriptOmati » Fri, 25 Oct 2002 00:33:20

> Is there any similiar approach or project like
> http://www.linuxvirtualserver.org in FreeBSD ?

> Andrew

Yes, but I do not have lots of details.
You might get info from http://viaverio.com/
but they are a company that sells websites on FreeBSD virtual servers.

The virtual server concept is really nice for the website owner,
much better than what I used to have!

Anyway, you can check them out, they have tons of documentation at the
site
about the freebsd  virtual server so you should be able to find out
where to get
the kernel source, etc. (assuming its GPL or some such).

--
http://ftp.opensysmon.com is a shell script archive site with an
opensource system monitoring and network monitoring software package.

Virtual Server

Post by Uwe Doerin » Sat, 26 Oct 2002 04:25:10

>>Is there any similiar approach or project like
>>http://www.linuxvirtualserver.org in FreeBSD ?

>>Andrew

> Yes, but I do not have lots of details.
> You might get info from http://viaverio.com/
> but they are a company that sells websites on FreeBSD virtual servers.

There's another one at http://www.escapebox.net/
They have a pretty interesting approach with Jails and the Union
filesystem. But that's a proprietary project, too. I'm not aware of any
free FreeBSD development in this area.

    Uwe
--

Berlin, Germany

Virtual Server

Post by Gregor Moelle » Sun, 27 Oct 2002 06:36:49

Quote:> There's another one at http://www.escapebox.net/ They have a pretty
> interesting approach with Jails and the Union filesystem. But that's a
> proprietary project, too. I'm not aware of any free FreeBSD development
> in this area.

Hello Uwe,

do they or even you (regarding the registrant of the domain itself ;) got
any problems by using union mounts? IIRC the union and null filesystems
may cause filesystem corruption. I've used null mounts some time ago
without any problems to supply different service-related jails with
several identical filesystem trees on -STABLE boxes.

Btw, nice and clean site with a very interesting project, also the
billing by resource usage.

Gregor

Virtual Server

Post by Uwe Doerin » Mon, 28 Oct 2002 02:50:30

Hi Gregor,

>>There's another one at http://www.escapebox.net/ They have a pretty
>>interesting approach with Jails and the Union filesystem. But that's a
>>proprietary project, too. I'm not aware of any free FreeBSD development
>>in this area.

> Hello Uwe,

> do they or even you (regarding the registrant of the domain itself ;) got
> any problems by using union mounts? IIRC the union and null filesystems
> may cause filesystem corruption. I've used null mounts some time ago
> without any problems to supply different service-related jails with
> several identical filesystem trees on -STABLE boxes.

I confess. It's my company. :-)

As to the union filesystem, yes, it is badly broken in its original form
(as distributed with FreeBSD). It's pretty easy to crash the kernel if
you know the right order of steps. When I started the project (about a
year ago) fixing these problems and tuning the beast for performance was
one of the imperative prerequisites for continuing with the project.
Fortunately it worked out. It's stable now. Another such prerequisite
was getting jails up to production standard, that is, being able to
inject processes into already running jails and things like this. Well,
you saw the outcome at that site. ;-)

I did some experiments early on with the null filesystem, too, but at
least at that time it was an even easier way to crash the system. Maybe
that improved by now. Haven't looked at it lately. The union filesystem
has a mode where it works like the null filesystem. I use that now as a
replacement.

Quote:> Btw, nice and clean site with a very interesting project, also the
> billing by resource usage.

Thanks. :-)

    Uwe
--

Berlin, Germany

Virtual Server

Post by Antti Louk » Mon, 28 Oct 2002 18:16:55

> As to the union filesystem, yes, it is badly broken in its original
> form (as distributed with FreeBSD). It's pretty easy to crash the
> kernel if you know the right order of steps. When I started the
> project (about a year ago) fixing these problems and tuning the beast
> for performance was one of the imperative prerequisites for continuing
> with the project. Fortunately it worked out. It's stable now. Another
> such prerequisite was getting jails up to production standard, that
> is, being able to inject processes into already running jails and
> things like this. Well, you saw the outcome at that site. ;-)

Well,

Would it be possible to get your fixes and even incorporate them back
into FreeBSD source tree?

Virtual Server

Post by Uwe Doerin » Sat, 02 Nov 2002 20:44:09

>>As to the union filesystem, yes, it is badly broken in its original
>>form (as distributed with FreeBSD). It's pretty easy to crash the
>>kernel if you know the right order of steps. When I started the
>>project (about a year ago) fixing these problems and tuning the beast
>>for performance was one of the imperative prerequisites for continuing
>>with the project. Fortunately it worked out. It's stable now. Another
>>such prerequisite was getting jails up to production standard, that
>>is, being able to inject processes into already running jails and
>>things like this. Well, you saw the outcome at that site. ;-)

> Would it be possible to get your fixes and even incorporate them back
> into FreeBSD source tree?

Eventually, yes.  But don't hold your breath.  Right now, I have
absolutely no time for this.  I would have to put together a patch set
first.  I just looked at my sources.  Jail code, and to some extend
union code as well, is scattered over the whole kernel, so it's not as
easy to separate this from the rest of my changes as it might look at
first glance.  In the long run I plan on giving it back to the FreeBSD
community, though.

Thinking about it, another problem is whom would I give at least the
union code to?  Is there a maintainer by now for the module?  There is
some additional work to be done.  I can't test it with NFS or
filesystems other than UFS.  From the number of problems with locking
and vnode leaks I found in conjunction with UFS, I'm almost certain that
even my version is still broken on anything but UFS.

I was tempted more than once to take over maintainership of the union
code myself, but I always sobered up quickly.  I just don't have the
time.  Sorry.  :-(

    Uwe
--

Berlin, Germany