Install from a non-bootable DOS CD-ROM + floppy?

Install from a non-bootable DOS CD-ROM + floppy?

Post by staros.. » Tue, 31 Aug 1999 04:00:00

I am going to be setting up a modest FreeBSD box to serve as a IP
masquerade rig, a web server, etc. etc. I have all the hardware save
the one part, and I am planning my install.

I do not have a bootable CD-ROM disk to use to install. I have a cable
modem, but the net install is not an option -- I'd have to switch my
MAC with the ISP to the NIC in the FBSD box, which would fubar net
access to the Wintel box. Can't do that, because it will take me some
time to get IP masqueading going, and I can't be without basic stuff
like email while I am screwing around learning the ropes on fbsd.

What I would LIKE to do is burn a vanilla DOS CD with all the 3.2 dist
files, use a fbsd boot floppy, and install off the CD. I'd like to
avoid making a DOS partition on the server's hard disk for the install
files if it is at all possible.

Based on my reading of the fbsd install files, I don't think that I can
do this -- I'm hoping someone will tell me that I am wrong.

Thanks in advance for any help...

----
Matt Staroscik <KF6IYW> The time is now.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

Post by n.. » Tue, 31 Aug 1999 04:00:00

> I am going to be setting up a modest FreeBSD box to serve as a IP
> masquerade rig, a web server, etc. etc. I have all the hardware save
> the one part, and I am planning my install.

> I do not have a bootable CD-ROM disk to use to install. I have a cable
> modem, but the net install is not an option -- I'd have to switch my
> MAC with the ISP to the NIC in the FBSD box, which would fubar net
> access to the Wintel box. Can't do that, because it will take me some
> time to get IP masqueading going, and I can't be without basic stuff
> like email while I am screwing around learning the ropes on fbsd.

> What I would LIKE to do is burn a vanilla DOS CD with all the 3.2 dist
> files, use a fbsd boot floppy, and install off the CD. I'd like to
> avoid making a DOS partition on the server's hard disk for the
> install files if it is at all possible.

> Based on my reading of the fbsd install files, I don't think that I
> can do this -- I'm hoping someone will tell me that I am wrong.

Sure you can.  You could make a bootable CD and install from that.  Even
though you can't boot from the CD-ROM drive, the install disk will still
read the CD-ROM.

You can also download the entire distribution to your Win9x box.  Run
the MS personal webserver and do an ftp installation across your LAN.
There are many ways to install FreeBSD.  The personal webserver option
works from both Win9x and NT.  I keep an MS-DOS partition on my FreeBSD
3.2 server/gateway machine for diagnostic purposes.

I have not tried an ftp installation from a NetWare server as of yet.
I believe the NetWare webserver includes an ftp server.

Once you have your FreeBSD server/gateway/NAT going, I recommend using
a private IP subnet address as defined in RFC 1918 (10/8, 172.16/12 or
192.168/16) for your LAN if you can't arrange for an IP address block
from your ISP.
--

JCA

Post by Peter Lo » Tue, 31 Aug 1999 04:00:00

> What I would LIKE to do is burn a vanilla DOS CD with all the 3.2 dist
> files, use a fbsd boot floppy, and install off the CD. I'd like to
> avoid making a DOS partition on the server's hard disk for the install
> files if it is at all possible.

One thing you could do is download the ISO images for the FreeBSD
installation CDs and use them to install. I've got a list of places
you can download them at:

        http://www.instinct.org/~pgl/freebsd-isos.html

I recommend using ftp.tu-clausthal.de (otherwise known as
ftp7.de.freebsd.org.)

The first image on most of the sites is bootable, so if your machine
supports booting from CD, you won't need a floppy. Otherwise, you can
just download the boot floppies from the ftp site and choose CD as
the media when you're installing.

--
Peter Lowe -- System Administrator, Telenor Internet

Everything I know in life I learnt from .sigs.

1. installing without floppy or bootable CD-ROM

Hi all!

Ok, this might just be me being stupid, but I don't seem able to do
this...

I have an old 486, running SuSE Linux 6.4. I want to reinstall the
whole thing, with Debian 2.2r2 this time.

The problem is, that that machine does not have a floppy-drive, nor
can it boot from CD-ROM.

Is there any way, I can install Debian on this machine, without
temporarily building in a floppy-drive or temporarily building the
harddisk into another machine?

Btw, I'm not really stupid, just never had to install Linux in such a
way... ;)

Grtz,

Dutchie

2. Error of installing RedHat5.0

3. Bootable floppy different than bootable CD ROM for installation of RH 8.0?

4. Network Analyser for IPX Network?

5. Make a DOS bootable floppy-disk/image bootable from Linux?

6. AIX bosboot: /bootrec not found

7. Boot floppy for non-bootable HD (was LI040404)

8. Module parameters 1/3

9. HELP: Installing Linux from a USB CD-ROM (bootable!)

10. Bootable CD-ROM to install AIX?

11. Bootable Floppy bin image to bootable CD?

12. Can't install Yggdrasil summer 94 CD-ROM with SCSI-1 CD-ROM

13. CD-ROM not detected by linux after CD-ROM install