Cant install from DOS partition.... help please

Cant install from DOS partition.... help please

Post by Jason Houg » Wed, 02 Oct 1996 04:00:00

I am trying to install FreeBSD for the first time, and I admit
to being somewhat of a novice. I have a general knowledge of Unix, but
my only installation experience was a few years ago with Nextstep.

Anyway, I am trying to install the minimum setup. I've created
a directory under DOS called C:\FREEBSD\BIN
and placed all the bin.[a-c]? files from ftp.cdrom.com in there.
Made the boot disk, answered all the questions, created the partitions
(used FIPS ahead of time), and it seems fine until it gets to the
installation of the basic package, and says it is not found on the dos
partition. I dont see an option anywhere to tell it where it is on the
DOS partition. The reason I choose the directory name above is because
it was used in the examples.

Can someone tell me what I'm doing wrong? Or possibly what to look for?
I'd hate to have to do this from floppy if I can avoid it.

-Jason

Cant install from DOS partition.... help please

Post by Brian Some » Fri, 04 Oct 1996 04:00:00

Quote:> Anyway, I am trying to install the minimum setup. I've created
> a directory under DOS called C:\FREEBSD\BIN
> and placed all the bin.[a-c]? files from ftp.cdrom.com in there.
> Made the boot disk, answered all the questions, created the partitions
> (used FIPS ahead of time), and it seems fine until it gets to the
> installation of the basic package, and says it is not found on the dos
> partition. I dont see an option anywhere to tell it where it is on the
> DOS partition. The reason I choose the directory name above is because
> it was used in the examples.

You didn't say which version of FreeBSD.  Older versions will need
C:\FREEBSD\FLOPPIES\ROOT.FLP I believe.  Also, are you sure you can
actually read your dos drive ?  Try using your shell at ALT-F4.

Post by Alexander Indenbau » Sun, 06 Oct 1996 04:00:00

> > Anyway, I am trying to install the minimum setup. I've created
> > a directory under DOS called C:\FREEBSD\BIN
> > and placed all the bin.[a-c]? files from ftp.cdrom.com in there.
> > Made the boot disk, answered all the questions, created the partitions
> > (used FIPS ahead of time), and it seems fine until it gets to the
> > installation of the basic package, and says it is not found on the dos
> > partition. I dont see an option anywhere to tell it where it is on the
> > DOS partition. The reason I choose the directory name above is because
> > it was used in the examples.

> You didn't say which version of FreeBSD.  Older versions will need
> C:\FREEBSD\FLOPPIES\ROOT.FLP I believe.  Also, are you sure you can
> actually read your dos drive ?  Try using your shell at ALT-F4.

> --

> Don't _EVER_ lose your sense of humour....

Hi!

I had similar problem when I tried to to install from BIG greater
than 1.6G DOS partition. I've got error message from cpio.
When I tryed to install from small about 100M DOS partition
the same files everything was OK.
Try to set debug ON in installation options and try to look what are
debug messages.
  Alexander Indenbaum

1. can't get freebsd 3.2 installed from dos partition ... please help me

Hi there,

I have never used freebsd. Now i'm installing freebsd on a portable (8
meg memory, 325 meg harddisk space). With no cdrom i want to install
freebsd from a dos partition. This partition is 35 meg and another
freebsd partition  for de rest of harddisk space.

After i booted from disk and selected a novice installation with setup
from dos partiton (the files are in subdir. \freebsd\bin for a minimal
installation), the installation starts and reads het bin.inf file
(only the first 1024 bytes) an after that stops reading from the dos
partition so the installation stops. But i can use de virtual screens
at that point (debug, shell).

Can someone help me?

Werner

2. Getting the full command info from ps ?

3. HELP: I cant mount my extended dos partitions...

4. mksysb problems on a 530 help.

5. HELP: Installing FreeBSD from DOS partition -- Installer can't find the install files

6. Aureal (mx300) drivers for Linux

7. DOS PARTITION: AIC7XXX TARGET PROBLEM, PLEASE HELP!

8. Sylpheed-0.9.1 does not compile under RH7.3./ MDK 9.1

9. mount dos partition, please help!

10. DOS PARTITION: AIC7XXX TARGET PROBLEM, PLEASE HELP!

11. Cant mount DOS partition

12. Cant mount my big Dos partition