Intel Pro 1000F Server adaptor

Post by trcolpa.. » Wed, 13 Dec 2000 02:11:34

Hello?

Does anybody know if 802.1q is supported in FreeBSD with the Intel Pro
Server 1000F adaptor modules?

-Jason

> hello all,

> I see that 4.2R has support for the Intel Pro Server 1000F adaptor,
but
> I would like to know if FreeBSD has support for Vlan trunking through
> it's driver, as does the NT driver support.

> Thanks,

> -Jason

> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Intel Pro 1000F Server adaptor

Post by Jordan Krushe » Wed, 13 Dec 2000 05:04:25

If it uses fxp as a driver, then yes.  Pro 100+/b cards work well with
802.1q (they use fxp, of course).  You just have to add

pseudo-device    vlan    x

(x being the number of VLANs you expect yourself to be on, up to 4)

Then you simply ifconfig the physical device (fxp0, for example) to be "up",
and use fxp0 as the vlandev option when ifconfig'ing vlan0.

man ifconfig, look for vlan, vlandev for more info.

AFAIK, the vlan device only supports fxp at this time.

J.

Quote:> Does anybody know if 802.1q is supported in FreeBSD with the Intel Pro
> Server 1000F adaptor modules?

Intel Pro 1000F Server adaptor

Post by trcolpa.. » Wed, 13 Dec 2000 07:06:52

Thank You!

What about for the wx0 driver?  Have you had any experience with this
driver?

Thanks,

-Jason

Quote:> If it uses fxp as a driver, then yes.  Pro 100+/b cards work well with
> 802.1q (they use fxp, of course).  You just have to add

> pseudo-device    vlan    x

> (x being the number of VLANs you expect yourself to be on, up to 4)

> Then you simply ifconfig the physical device (fxp0, for example) to
be "up",
> and use fxp0 as the vlandev option when ifconfig'ing vlan0.

> man ifconfig, look for vlan, vlandev for more info.

> AFAIK, the vlan device only supports fxp at this time.

> J.

> > Does anybody know if 802.1q is supported in FreeBSD with the Intel
Pro
> > Server 1000F adaptor modules?

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Intel Pro 1000F Server adaptor

Post by Jordan Krushe » Wed, 13 Dec 2000 07:46:28

Quote:> What about for the wx0 driver?  Have you had any experience with this
> driver?

Hmm.. I remember reading that vlan only worked with fxp.. that may have been
a pre-merging patch that added vlan support before it came with the OS.

Of course, you can always try it, if you have one laying around ;)

One * bug with the vlan devices though:  *never* ifconfig the vlan
device if the parent (vlandev) device isn't "up".  It's a pretty reliable
way to make the kernel panic :)

J.