how do I check with cvs if files from my source tree got modded?

how do I check with cvs if files from my source tree got modded?

Post by yaho » Thu, 19 Dec 2002 16:16:16

Hi, I know this is a basic problem, but I am having problems figureing it
out.  I update my source tree ans ports tree for FreeBSD everyday and I
want to check if a port or files was updated using the cvs command.  After
I do my cvsup, what command can I run to see what was updated last for a
port? Thank you in advance and sorry for the easy question.

how do I check with cvs if files from my source tree got modded?

Post by Matt Mill » Fri, 20 Dec 2002 05:24:51

Quote:> Hi, I know this is a basic problem, but I am having problems figureing
> it out.  I update my source tree ans ports tree for FreeBSD everyday
> and I want to check if a port or files was updated using the cvs
> command.  After I do my cvsup, what command can I run to see what was
> updated last for a port? Thank you in advance and sorry for the easy
> question.

If you CVSup regularly, I recommend you take a look at
http://www.freshports.org - a site that shows details about ports and when
they were updated, what changes were made, by whom, etc etc.

Otherwise (and I don't doubt there is a cleaner alternative) I would just
cd to /usr/ports or /usr/src and 'ls -lrt' to show the most recently
updated directories and files at the bottom of the list. You can then cd
into a directory and do the same, and so on. Again, this isn't a
particularly nice method, but its what I used to do and it works.

Of course you could always just send the output of the cvsup to a file and
look through it to see what changes were made.

--
Matt

Post by Bill Vermilli » Fri, 10 Jan 2003 04:57:06

>> Hi, I know this is a basic problem, but I am having problems figureing
>> it out.  I update my source tree ans ports tree for FreeBSD everyday
>> and I want to check if a port or files was updated using the cvs
>> command.  After I do my cvsup, what command can I run to see what was
>> updated last for a port? Thank you in advance and sorry for the easy
>> question.
>If you CVSup regularly, I recommend you take a look at
>http://www.freshports.org - a site that shows details about ports and when
>they were updated, what changes were made, by whom, etc etc.
>Otherwise (and I don't doubt there is a cleaner alternative) I
>would just cd to /usr/ports or /usr/src and 'ls -lrt' to show
>the most recently updated directories and files at the bottom
>of the list. You can then cd into a directory and do the same,
>and so on. Again, this isn't a particularly nice method, but its
>what I used to do and it works.
>Of course you could always just send the output of the cvsup to
>a file and look through it to see what changes were made.

I do the latter - just so I can look if I need/want to.

I call this from crontab.

:
#!/bin/sh
echo "-----------------" >> /var/log/suplog
echo `date` >> /var/log/suplog
/usr/local/bin/cvsup -g -L 2 /etc/cvsupfile >> /var/log/suplog

The /etc/supfile has the info.  I also put a command in
newsyslog.conf to rotate the files weekly.

Not pretty but at least it logs it and the separator and date
make it easy to find what has happened on what day.

--

1. current CVS tree vs released CVS tree

Hello,

I can't seem to find any documentation regarding the different directory
structures from the current (dev) CVS tree and the released structure.

In the releases, the source is in src/*

In the current (dev) CVS tree, the source is broken up into a few
directories:

    example:
        basesrc/*
        syssrc/*

Does anyone know why this is done this way?  Doesn't this confuse the
Makefiles?

 Thanks for any help.

 -Chris

2. install motif

3. cvs check out problems..cannot check out files into the repository itself.

4. natd + socks5

5. problem with installing gtk+ from cvs source tree.

6. How to check CPU usage in Solaris 2.5.1

7. XFree86 CVS source tree?

8. pmax: Which TERM setting for 5000/33 Console?

9. Anonymous cvs to Apache source tree???

10. concurrency control source code on B+-tree or R-tree

11. Script to check out all files in a direcory tree

12. Is there anyway a user can get the source for a dynamic file under Mod Perl?

13. Header files & multiple-dir source tree