Apache UserDir question...

Post by Stev » Tue, 12 Jun 2001 10:38:55

I have an apache 1.3.20 server running on FreeBSD 4.2, with the UserDir
directive enabled and it is working fine. However there is one thing i
dont like about it, if you go to any of the vhosts on the server and add
the ~ after it, it will take you to the users directory. Is it possible
to restrict this to working for only the default vhost or any specific
vhost?  Also are there any apache specific newsgroups?  I did a quick
search and couldnt find any.

thanks

Apache UserDir question...

Post by Rasput » Tue, 12 Jun 2001 20:36:34

> I have an apache 1.3.20 server running on FreeBSD 4.2, with the UserDir
> directive enabled and it is working fine. However there is one thing i
> dont like about it, if you go to any of the vhosts on the server and add
> the ~ after it, it will take you to the users directory. Is it possible
> to restrict this to working for only the default vhost or any specific
> vhost?  Also are there any apache specific newsgroups?  I did a quick
> search and couldnt find any.

http://httpd.apache.org/docs/mod/mod_userdir.html

says that the UserDir directive is applicable to virtual hosts,
yes. Take it out of the main config section and paste it into any vhosts you
want to use this feature.

The apache newsgroup is called:
comp.infosystems.www.servers.unix

--
"These are the propulsion systems used by NASA for the moonshots,"
                said Tom apologetically.

Apache UserDir question...

Post by The Doct » Tue, 12 Jun 2001 11:19:34

>I have an apache 1.3.20 server running on FreeBSD 4.2, with the UserDir
>directive enabled and it is working fine. However there is one thing i
>dont like about it, if you go to any of the vhosts on the server and add
>the ~ after it, it will take you to the users directory. Is it possible
>to restrict this to working for only the default vhost or any specific
>vhost?  Also are there any apache specific newsgroups?  I did a quick
>search and couldnt find any.

Hold on.

http://www.mysite.ex could map to http://www.home.ex/~user but you have to
map in your conf where mysite.ex goes.

Also, vhosts/~users is a NO-NO!

Please e-mail me on this OR read up http://www.apache.org AND
join comp.infosystems.www.servers.unix I believe .
--
God Queen and Country                           Member - Liberal International

Society MUST be saved! Republics must dissolve.  .mu is for Mauritius NOT for worldwide Music; Mauritius rise up againgt the invasion.
mu c'est L'ile Maurice PAS Musique Internationale; Mauriciens dit non a l'invasion!

1. Apache: UserDir question

I know similar questions have been asked before, but I've been playing
with this question for awhile and haven't found a solution.

On Apache 1.1.1, I want users to have homepages, but don't want the
URL(s) to be: http://www.foo.com/user ->  I want the URL to be:
http://www.foo.com/users/user instead.  I noticed that several examples
were commented in the Apache source code, like:

UserDir /usr/www http://www.foo.com/users

This seemed to do what I want(ed), but when I tried something like this,
it didn't work.  :-(

Here's what I've done:

(1) created an area in /usr/www for each user, like /usr/www/user.
(2) Config'd Userdir as: UserDir /usr/www http://www.foo.com/users
(3) Restarted the server, and called the URL: http://www.foo.com/users/user

Apache returns a page not found error.  Any suggestions or pointers to
documentation that I might check out?  Do I have do ReDirect ~/ to /users?

Thanks for your time.

--
Nathan V. Patwardhan

"Lane, this is pure snow!
Do you have any idea what
the street value of this mountain is?"
        --Charles Demar from _Better Off Dead_

2. sulog check

3. apache UserDir question

4. TERM and SCO ODT

5. 755 userdirs? for ~userdir/public_html?

6. IDE-Streamer and ide-scsi ...

7. Apache UserDir CGI scripts

8. SSH and privacy

9. VirtualHost UserDir in apache 0.8.13?

10. Apache UserDir CGI scripts

11. Apache and UserDir

12. Apache UserDir/AliasMatch