Problem with Adaptec 2940AU

Post by Ian Edwar » Thu, 20 Nov 1997 04:00:00

I have a problem with an Adaptec 2940AU and FreeBSD (currently 2.2.2
but also had it with 2.1.7) - the only way I can reboot the system
is to do a 'shutdown -h' then switch the mains power off and waiting about
30 seconds then powering up again.  Anything less than that, such as
shutdown -r or shutdown -h and pressing the reset button and, on startup,
the Adaptec comes up with the usual "Ctrl-A for ..." message, does not
find any devices on the SCSI bus and times out (with a message) and then
says there were no bootable devices).

The PC is dual-boot with Windows NT (through the standard FreeBSD boot
manager) and NT does not suffer the same problem - I can restart NT
and get to the F? prompt then select FreeBSD or NT without having to switch
the power off first.

Can anyone help ?

--
Ian Edwards

http://www.concerto.demon.co.uk

Problem with Adaptec 2940AU

Post by Merli » Fri, 21 Nov 1997 04:00:00

Ths is a known and documented problem.  And it is easy to fix.

Next time you boot, hit CTRL-A and enter the Adaptec BIOS Config.

Under Advanced Options (I believe), turn ON Plug-N-Play SCAM Support.

There.  Things will get much better now.

-ck

: I have a problem with an Adaptec 2940AU and FreeBSD (currently 2.2.2
: but also had it with 2.1.7) - the only way I can reboot the system
: is to do a 'shutdown -h' then switch the mains power off and waiting about
: 30 seconds then powering up again.  Anything less than that, such as
: shutdown -r or shutdown -h and pressing the reset button and, on startup,
: the Adaptec comes up with the usual "Ctrl-A for ..." message, does not
: find any devices on the SCSI bus and times out (with a message) and then
: says there were no bootable devices).

: The PC is dual-boot with Windows NT (through the standard FreeBSD boot
: manager) and NT does not suffer the same problem - I can restart NT
: and get to the F? prompt then select FreeBSD or NT without having to switch
: the power off first.

: Can anyone help ?

: --