My beloved NIC...

Post by Scott Solmonso » Sat, 23 Aug 1997 04:00:00

Hey-

I need to know the name of my NIC.
It is a 3com 3C900 and hence uses the "vx0" driver.
I am running software that needs the NIC explicitly specified, and it
apparently looks in /dev for the name specified.
There is NO vx0 in /dev.  Actually there are NO network devices.
Anyone know where my NIC is in the filesystem?

Scott

My beloved NIC...

Post by Giao Nguye » Sat, 23 Aug 1997 04:00:00

> Hey-
> I need to know the name of my NIC.
> It is a 3com 3C900 and hence uses the "vx0" driver.
> I am running software that needs the NIC explicitly specified, and it
> apparently looks in /dev for the name specified.
> There is NO vx0 in /dev.  Actually there are NO network devices.
> Anyone know where my NIC is in the filesystem?

NIC's aren't in the the filesystems at all.

Quote:> Scott

--
Giao Nguyen

My beloved NIC...

Post by Scott Solmonso » Sat, 23 Aug 1997 04:00:00

What I mean is-

My app needs the interface specified to it like:
"myapp -I vx0"
This does not work, so I am assuming it needs the full path.
I do not know the full path.
How can I tell it which interface to use, is vx0 a link to some cryptic
entry in /dev that I just don't recognize, or what?

Scott

--
Scott Solmonson
Systems Administrator / Holistic Teamster

V.408.965.1169               /|\
F.408.955.1968
P.408.539.1942               \|/

"Two fisted beverage         /|\
action in the house
of ill communication"

My beloved NIC...

Post by Bill Pa » Mon, 25 Aug 1997 04:00:00

Daring to challenge the will of the almighty Leviam00se, Scott Solmonson

: Hey-

: I need to know the name of my NIC.
: It is a 3com 3C900 and hence uses the "vx0" driver.
: I am running software that needs the NIC explicitly specified, and it
: apparently looks in /dev for the name specified.
: There is NO vx0 in /dev.  Actually there are NO network devices.
: Anyone know where my NIC is in the filesystem?

: Scott

BSD UNIX doesn't have /dev nodes for network interface cards. (There are
rare exceptions to this rule: sometimes you will find cards that need to
have a firmware image loaded onto them, and the device driver will include
a /dev/something0 node that the initialization utility can use to upload
the firmware into the card's memory. This is not the same thing you're
looking for though.) System V-based UNIXes have /dev nodes for network
cards, largely for use with STREAMS. This being the case, it sounds like
you're trying to use a SysV-based program on FreeBSD, which won't work
unless you modify it (the program that is, not FreeBSD). Since you didn't
bother to mention what program it is, I can't give you more information
than that.

It's not a network sniffer program is it? I often see questions like this
from people who have been given some goofy little ethernet packet capture
program and aren't clever enough to realize that the code is for some
other platform than the one they have.

-Bill

-Bill Paul            (212) 854-6020 | System Manager, Master of Unix-Fu

  "Now, that's "Open" as used in the sentence "Open your wallet", right?"

My beloved NIC...

Post by Michael Richards » Mon, 25 Aug 1997 04:00:00

1. Our beloved 3c509

Anyone with experience installing the 3c509:

I've been installing this for the past two weeks!  I have two 3c509B's.
I've updated my modules.conf for the RH7 system.  I've disabled the
hardware using 3c5x9cfg.exe.  I've even been able to ifconfig lo, eth0,
and eth1.  On '/etc/rc.d/init.d/networ restart' lo, eth0, and eth1 all
come up.

My problem: when I reboot, I keep getting "insmod /lib/..../3c509.o
failed; insmod eth0 failed; delaying eth0 installation"  and the same
for eth1.

I then log in as root, type "insmod 3c509", then "ifconfig eth0 up" and
the same for eth1.  Ifconfig then shows lo, eth0, and eth1 again.  Seems
fine.  I just can't reboot or I lost my nics.

So I've learned that my kernel isn't loading my drivers as modules.  How
does one go about fixing that?

2. what pcmcia ethernet cards work

3. How to thanks for your beloved ?

4. Apache + client authentification

5. NIC / network won't load: Compaq Netelligent 10/100 Embedded NIC, Eth0

6. Problem display floating point values

7. NIC NIC

8. mt eod buggy?

9. Crossover Cable Needed for Direct NIC 2 NIC?

10. routing - 3comps - one dualport-nic & two "normal" nics

11. How to specify/detect an NIC when using two or more NIC

12. 4.2 nic aliasing, multiple IPs, one nic does not work???

13. unixware 7.1 doesn't have my NIC in the NIC list, how do I bypass