Netscape/java problem?

Post by JosB » Thu, 30 Nov 2000 04:00:00

Dear reader,

Yesterday, I ran into a problem on one of my FreeBSD workstations.
Its a P233 with 98MB RAM.
Running X and Netscape is not a problem, but when I run a site with
Java on it, Netscape hangs and processor-use of Netscape goes to 75%+.
On my other WS, a P233 with 64MB ram, the same problem does not excist
on the same site...
The computers both run FreeBSD4.0, out of the box.
Not sure if the apps installed are the same, but both run Netscape 4.72.
Also, the Xwindows config is the same, both run Afterstep.
Installing Netscape 4.08 on the computer with the problems did not
solve the problem.

Is there a way to view the Java-related packages on a FreeBSD computer,
somehow I have the idea that I installed extra Java apps on one
computer. But I don't know which one anymore... :-(

Thanks,

Jos Buurman

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Netscape/java problem?

Post by Nick Hilliar » Thu, 30 Nov 2000 04:00:00

> Running X and Netscape is not a problem, but when I run a site with
> Java on it, Netscape hangs and processor-use of Netscape goes to 75%+.

That's correct.  Netscape's java implementation is terrible and
constantly does this sort of thing.

The Java implementation in Netscape 6 is less bad and won't crash as
much, but don't even think of running it on a computer with less than
64Mb of memory.

Nick

Netscape/java problem?

Post by JosB » Fri, 01 Dec 2000 04:00:00

Quote:

> The Java implementation in Netscape 6 is less bad and won't crash as
> much, but don't even think of running it on a computer with less than
> 64Mb of memory.

> Nick

Thanks for the advice.

Jos Buurman

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

1. Netscape Java Problems.

My Netscape crashes whenever I look at any Jova page, in any color mode.
I know that other people had the same problem, was a solution ever
found?

I'm running a Micron Millenia P100, Slackware release 3.0.

Thanks.
david

2. linux is wrong for this (just once)

3. Netscape/Java problem

4. Sound Driver in 1.3.45

5. Kde with netscape - java problem? Help

6. format a drive???

7. Netscape Java Problem

8. rc0.d rc1.d ... rc5.d

9. Netscape/Java problem