Sony AIT Tape drive suppot ??

Post by Matt Pearc » Sun, 22 Jun 2003 12:25:21

Hi All,

I would be extremely grateful if anyone who has had any experience with the
Sony SDX400 SCSI AIT-1A internal tape drive with FreeBSD.  I am considering
using one of these and dont want to buy it if it doesnt work.

Thanks.

Matt.

Sony AIT Tape drive suppot ??

Post by David Magd » Sun, 22 Jun 2003 21:32:58

> I would be extremely grateful if anyone who has had any experience
> with the Sony SDX400 SCSI AIT-1A internal tape drive with FreeBSD.
> I am considering using one of these and dont want to buy it if it
> doesnt work.

SCSI is SCSI. The commands for using tape drives are standard for all
tape drives. For more info on SCSI ask in comp.periph.scsi (FAQ at
[1]) or see the SCSI Trade Association: http://www.scsita.org/.

[1] www.scsifaq.org/

There's also

http://www.freebsd.org/releases/4.8R/hardware-i386.html

Search for the word "tape" (there's only one occurence).

--
David Magda <dmagda at ee.ryerson.ca>, http://www.magda.ca/

Sony AIT Tape drive suppot ??

Post by Matt Pearc » Sun, 22 Jun 2003 21:54:14

Thankyou,

Matt.

> > I would be extremely grateful if anyone who has had any experience
> > with the Sony SDX400 SCSI AIT-1A internal tape drive with FreeBSD.
> > I am considering using one of these and dont want to buy it if it
> > doesnt work.

> SCSI is SCSI. The commands for using tape drives are standard for all
> tape drives. For more info on SCSI ask in comp.periph.scsi (FAQ at
> [1]) or see the SCSI Trade Association: http://www.scsita.org/.

> [1] www.scsifaq.org/

> There's also

> http://www.freebsd.org/releases/4.8R/hardware-i386.html

> Search for the word "tape" (there's only one occurence).

> --
> David Magda <dmagda at ee.ryerson.ca>, http://www.magda.ca/
> Because the innovator has for enemies all those who have done well under
> the old conditions, and lukewarm defenders in those who may do well
> under the new. -- Niccolo Machiavelli, _The Prince_, Chapter VI

1. Adaptec 2940 and Sony AIT-2 Tape Drive Problems

I have been having some issues running backup on my Linux file server
the past few weeks. The server setup is as follows:

OS: Red Hat Enterprise Linux ES release 4 (Nahant)
SCSI Card: Adaptec 2940
Tape Drive: Sony SDX-500V (Internal AIT-2)
Backup Software: Bru (version 16.0)
The tape drive is the only SCSI device in the server

What happens is, it backs up perfectly fine for a while, backup,
verify, and restoring from tape works beautifly! Then all of a sudden
it starts giving an error, it still backs up, just the backup never
seems to finish completely:

/var/log/backup.log:
...[list of files being backed up]...
bru: [I109] attention - assuming end of volume 1 (unknown size)

Apparently it's asking for another volume, but since the job is running
in the background, it just aborts.

Here is what appears in the output of dmesg:
st0: Error with sense data: Info fld=0x676, Current st0: sense key
Medium Error
Additional sense: Write error
st0: Error with sense data: Info fld=0x40, Current st0: sense key
Medium Error
Additional sense: Write error
st0: Error with sense data: Info fld=0x40, Current st0: sense key
Medium Error
Additional sense: Write error
st0: Error with sense data: Info fld=0x40, Current st0: sense key
Medium Error
Additional sense: Write error
st0: Error with sense data: Info fld=0x1, Current st0: sense key Medium
Error
Additional sense: Write error
st0: Error on write filemark.

There are no messages in /var/log/messages

The same problem happened a few months ago, back then, we took the
server apart, cleaned everything, made sure all the SCSI settings were
correct, replaced the SCSI card, then replaced the SCSI cable with a
brand new one, none of that helped the problem... a week or so later,
it just kind of went away on it's own.

Anyone have any ideas on what may be causing this and what I can do to
try and stop these seemingly random periods of failures?

Thanks,
-- Dmitriy M

2. Path statement

3. Linux and AIT Tape Drives (Sony or Seagate)?

4. Snoop causes network problems

5. AIX 4.2.1 & Sony AIT tape drive

6. Mouse busy

7. Sony AIT tape drives

8. Error in PF: Queueing FAQ of OpenBSD ?

9. Does AIX support Sony AIT-2 Tape drives?

10. Sony AIT tape/drive and using its MIC feature

11. MIC in Sony AIT/SAIT tapes

12. Sony AIT-2 tape throughput

13. Sony SDX-300C AIT tape