dual-boot Linux/FreeBSD

Post by DaffyDuckM » Thu, 07 Sep 2000 23:33:58

I just inherited a hand-me-down machine and I want to try out some
new things on it. Is is possible to make it dual-boot Linux/FreeBSD?
I'd like to be able to boot to either system so I can play with both.
Also, how much disk space am I going to need to fit both OS's? And
any suggestions as to which I should install first?

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

dual-boot Linux/FreeBSD

Post by Martin Ede » Fri, 08 Sep 2000 14:13:29

Quote:> I just inherited a hand-me-down machine and I want to try out some
> new things on it. Is is possible to make it dual-boot Linux/FreeBSD?
> I'd like to be able to boot to either system so I can play with both.
> Also, how much disk space am I going to need to fit both OS's? And
> any suggestions as to which I should install first?

> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

I did this several months ago. I had problems, so I ended up making the
first primary partition +/- 50 Megs FAT. I put OpenDos on there and loaded
Partition Magic and Boot Magic on that partiton.

Then I put Caldera OpenLinux 2.3 on the second primary (4000 M) and FreeBSD
3.3 on the third (3000 M). Worked like a charm with the PowerQuest boot
loader at startup. This was MUCH more space than I needed, but I had a big
drive and wanted to dump Win98 for a while.

OpenDos was free at the time from ftp://ftp.calderasystems.com/pub/ I don't
know if it is still there.

Just thought I'd share for what it's worth.

Good Luck.

dual-boot Linux/FreeBSD

Post by DaffyDuckM » Fri, 08 Sep 2000 21:31:31

> > I just inherited a hand-me-down machine and I want to try out some
> > new things on it. Is is possible to make it dual-boot Linux/FreeBSD?
> > I'd like to be able to boot to either system so I can play with
both.
> > Also, how much disk space am I going to need to fit both OS's? And
> > any suggestions as to which I should install first?

> > Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> > Before you buy.

> I did this several months ago. I had problems, so I ended up making
the
> first primary partition +/- 50 Megs FAT. I put OpenDos on there and
loaded
> Partition Magic and Boot Magic on that partiton.

> Then I put Caldera OpenLinux 2.3 on the second primary (4000 M) and
FreeBSD
> 3.3 on the third (3000 M). Worked like a charm with the PowerQuest
boot
> loader at startup. This was MUCH more space than I needed, but I had
a big
> drive and wanted to dump Win98 for a while.

> OpenDos was free at the time from ftp://ftp.calderasystems.com/pub/ I
don't
> know if it is still there.

> Just thought I'd share for what it's worth.

> Good Luck.

Thanks for the info. Another question has occurred to me. In a setup
like this can Linux and FreeBSD read and write from each others'
partitions? This is not especially important to me, I'm just curious.