softupdate

Post by Ronald M » Sat, 18 Jan 2003 15:21:54

I'm using fbsd 4.4 for months and it's reliable, and I've experienced
compiling my own kernel. I saw some post regarding the softupdate on
fs will increase performance of hd. Is that reliable for 4.4 release?
I don't bother to upgrade to 4.7 if the sys runs good.

Ronald

softupdate

Post by David Schult » Sat, 18 Jan 2003 16:18:50

Quote:> I'm using fbsd 4.4 for months and it's reliable, and I've experienced
> compiling my own kernel. I saw some post regarding the softupdate on
> fs will increase performance of hd. Is that reliable for 4.4 release?
> I don't bother to upgrade to 4.7 if the sys runs good.

A few bugs were fixed between 4.4 and 4.7, but they're the sort of
bugs that might just crash a busy server in extremely rare
circumstances, not the sort that would cause filesystem corruption.
Softupdates works just fine in 4.4-RELEASE.

1. Kernel error messages & softupdate

I finally managed to install FreeBSD 3.2 (yay!), but I have a few
questions:

1) Occasionally, the FreeBSD Kernel throws up a message along the lines
of: "device acd0: read_toc failed." This is not a show stopper, but
annoying nevertheless.

2) I want to enable that softupdate thingy to get asynchronous writes.
Someone here said to "check out /sys/i386/conf/LINT". However, when I
write "cd /sys" as root, I get the message that "there is no such file
or directory." When I open Midnight Commander, the "sys" us in red text.
What gives? How do I enable softupdates?

Thanks for your help.

2. Why doesn't XFree86 v3.3.3 scale?

3. SoftUpdate + BIG hd

4. Beginners Q about malloc

5. softupdates serious problem?

6. Need compiled utils RZ/SZ

7. Softupdates On Existing System

8. Platform independent help system

9. Linux camp trying softupdates?

10. Advice Please - Server Install and SoftUpdates

11. softupdates status

12. softupdates question

13. journaling vs.softupdates