Upgraded from 2.2-GAMMA to 2.2-RELEASE: problems...

Upgraded from 2.2-GAMMA to 2.2-RELEASE: problems...

Post by Matt Behre » Thu, 27 Mar 1997 04:00:00

Hi all,

I recently upgraded my home system to 2.2-RELEASE from 2.2-GAMMA by
following this procedure:

1. Back up /etc.
2. rm -rf /usr/src.
3. Install the dists over my existing system with the install.sh's.
4. Restore /etc.
5. Compile the 2.2-RELEASE kernel (I had to use PNP with it to get my
   modem, so...)

The new system finishes booting the kernel and starts to go into the
startup script, at which point I get some sort of panic saying "expected
vref wanted vget" or something similar, perhaps the other way around. It
then proceeds to attempt to sync my disks (which it sat indefinitely
trying to do) and halt.

I booted back with my last GAMMA kernel, and it boots up fine.  What's
going on? I don't *THINK* I used any different kernel options in my
2.2-RELEASE kernel.

---

 http://www.veryComputer.com/~behrensm/          | adverti*ts sent to these

 http://www.veryComputer.com/~zigg/              | fee, pursuant to US Code Title
 Custom PC's - Consulting - Web Design    | 47, Sec. 227(b)(3)(C).

Upgraded from 2.2-GAMMA to 2.2-RELEASE: problems...

Post by Brian Some » Wed, 02 Apr 1997 04:00:00

Quote:> Hi all,

> I recently upgraded my home system to 2.2-RELEASE from 2.2-GAMMA by
> following this procedure:

> 1. Back up /etc.
> 2. rm -rf /usr/src.
> 3. Install the dists over my existing system with the install.sh's.
> 4. Restore /etc.

It's better to "merge" your old /etc into the new one.

Quote:> 5. Compile the 2.2-RELEASE kernel (I had to use PNP with it to get my
>    modem, so...)

> The new system finishes booting the kernel and starts to go into the
> startup script, at which point I get some sort of panic saying "expected
> vref wanted vget" or something similar, perhaps the other way around. It
> then proceeds to attempt to sync my disks (which it sat indefinitely
> trying to do) and halt.

> I booted back with my last GAMMA kernel, and it boots up fine.  What's
> going on? I don't *THINK* I used any different kernel options in my
> 2.2-RELEASE kernel.

I'm not familiar with the error, but if you post the full message I
can do a grep.  Did you rebuild a kernel ?  Again, it's worth modifying
GENERIC (after copying it of course) rather than blindly using your
old config file.  If you did, does the GENERIC kernel work ?  If you
didn't, try that - there may be support for something in your custom
kernel that's not around in the GENERIC one (or maybe even some
private source mods).

--

      <http://www.awfulhak.demon.co.uk>

1. 2.2-GAMMA to 2.2-RELEASE

hi,

I have 2.2-GAMMA (090325) up and running. And have downloaded the
ssys.?? and bin distributions of the 2.2-RELEASE.

here are my options to upgrade

1. Use the upgrade option
I understand that the upgrade option is not exhaustive. But would it
work from GAMMA->RELEASE ?

2. Simply extract the bin distribution and build a new kernel. (Of
course preserve the /etc)

What is the best method. ( I don't want to download X86/X11 distribution
again.)

Would appreciate your comments.

--Vijay

2. Setting up a basic High-Availability server

3. Problem upgrading to RedHat kernal 2.2-17 from 2.2-16

4. 16550A problems

5. FBSD 2.2.1R -> 2.2.2R cdrom upgrade problem

6. cancel <unix-faq/faq/part1_1082292761@rtfm.mit.edu>

7. 2..1.5-RELEASE ---------->2.2-GAMMA How to?

8. gcc and segmentation faults

9. Upgrading kernel 2.2.x to 2.4.x and GLibc 2.1.3 to 2.2.x

10. ppp problems with 2.2-GAMMA

11. 2.2-970302-GAMMA install problems

12. 2.2-GAMMA-0225 boot floppy causing boot problem

13. FreeBSD 2.2-GAMMA problem with Diamond Speedstar 64 graphics adapter