Looking for compatable FreeBSD servers

Post by Jack Madis » Wed, 31 Dec 1997 04:00:00

Hi all,

I am preparing to put our company on the Internet.  It
should prove an interesting endeavor, but I'm having
some difficulty finding/spec'ing a server.  I know
what I basically want, PPro 200, two 100Mbit ethernet
cards, tape backup, 64meg ram, 5-10GB harddrive space.  The
company I work for really tries to stay standard for
PCs/Servers so I am looking at something like a Compaq
850R (oh ya, I need a rack mounted server) or an HP
NetServer LH Pro or some other mainstream server.
Problem is I cannot get detailed enough specs.  I
have spent the last couple hours digging through both
the FreeBSD compatability guides and the HP & Compaq
web sites but I cannot determine with 100% confidence
that these servers will run FreeBSD correctly.  Specifically,
I cannot match the Integrated/included NIC and SCSI-2
cards with the list of compatable cards.  I would expect
them to work, and my problem is more of a lack of details
about the cards in the servers, but I don't KNOW they
will work.

Any input/advice would be appreciated, especially from someone
with experience using these machines.  I'm also open
to other suggestions.

In case it matters, this machine will serve primarily as
both a firewall (outgoing only proxy server, no IP
forwarding/filtering) and an Internet web server, with
occasional light duty as an FTP server.

At this point I'm also still open (with reservations) to
fully configured out of the box FreeBSD Internet Firewall
solutions if anyone has good suggestions for any of those.

TIA

--
                             _____
                            /|||||\

Looking for compatable FreeBSD servers

Post by Jordan K. Hubbar » Wed, 31 Dec 1997 04:00:00

[posted & emailed]

> I am preparing to put our company on the Internet.  It
> should prove an interesting endeavor, but I'm having
> some difficulty finding/spec'ing a server.  I know
> what I basically want, PPro 200, two 100Mbit ethernet
> cards, tape backup, 64meg ram, 5-10GB harddrive space.  The
> company I work for really tries to stay standard for
> PCs/Servers so I am looking at something like a Compaq
> 850R (oh ya, I need a rack mounted server) or an HP
> NetServer LH Pro or some other mainstream server.

I wouldn't go that route if I were in your shoes.  If you have a
specific set of objectives in the PC market then there's only really one
way to go with the hardware and that's to either build it yourself to
spec or have someone else build it to your spec, whichever you're most
comfortable with. :)

In your case, I'd start with this motherboard:

        http://www.tyan.com/click/s1662/s1662in.htm

And populate it with one CPU.  Buy a pair of Intel Etherexpress Pro
10/100B ethernet cards, an Adaptec 2940UW controller, a DEC DLT2000 tape
drive and a pair of 4GB Quantum Atlas II drives and house it in a decent
case with good cooling which blows air past the drives.  What you'll
have at the end is something far more reliable and repairable than any
off-the-shelf solution from any of the big box shifters.

--
- Jordan Hubbard
  FreeBSD core team / Walnut Creek CDROM.

1. FreeBSD and IBM Netfinity 5500 Compatable?

I have a customer that is looking to run FreeBSD and Apache Web Server.
Are there any known compatibility issues between the software and
hardware on a Netfinity 5500 raid 5 config. I'm not familiar with this
OS and I've checked on the web and can't seem to find anything on IBM
compatibility. Although I found a lot on third party options like 3com
and adaptec scsi controllers.Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks

Joe

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

2. Radeon Support

3. cc:Mail or compatable client for FreeBSD???

4. ANNOUNCE: HP ORB Plus for Solaris, mailing list

5. Laptops compatable with FreeBSD.

6. listening to a specific port in real-time

7. Looking for a virtual FreeBSD server provider

8. Eide > 1024 cyl

9. off topic: FreeBSD based IRC Network, looking for some additional Servers

10. Need Netmeeting compatable ILS (LDAP v3) server

11. FreeBSD Web servers (was Re: NT server vs workstation for WWW server)

12. FreeBSD NIS server to non-FreeBSD clients

13. Changing resolution in FreeBSD 2.2.6 FreeBSD X server