samba's nmdb isn't working - why?

Post by Peter Werne » Fri, 27 Aug 1999 04:00:00

Hi,

I have got a serious problem with samba 2.0.2 running on a freebsd 3.1
box. I use the freebsd box as a gateway and file server for a lan with
two win 95 machines and one wfg machine. After installation and making
smb.conf I thought everything is all right, but it wasn't. The problem
was that sometimes the freebsd box was seen in the network neighborhood,
sometimes it was not. I discovered that nmbd stopped working sometimes,
often after a client booted. So this maybe the reason why the bsd box
isn't seen (The bsd box is set as local master and preferred master with
os level 65 to win the election to be the local master browser and act
also as a wins server. But a change of this wouldn't solve the problem.)

In the boot messages was a line which said nmbd aborts because of signal
6 without any further reasons (and I'm new to freebsd so I don't know
how to increase the debug level of the boot messages to get further
information). In the nmbd log was nothing special, althought I decrease
the debug level. Only a messages that nmbd isn't abel to sync the browse
list with an domain master browser was shown which doesn't exit (debug
level 3). swat tells me that the file /var/spool/loch/STATUS.LCK isn't
found, but with this information I can't do anything. I do not
understand it.

A last I install the package new after uninstalling it - now nmbd starts
anymore!! It wouldn't be that problem because I can connect with net use
from the windows 95 clients, but this don't work from the wfg client!!

So if there is any help or advice I would really appreciate it, because
this problem drives my really crazy

peter

  vcard.vcf
< 1K Download

1. I don't understand why this code isn't working

*** Everything seems to work from here to where my spool file is
created in the *** sql.

# Check for old file - remove if found
if [ -f /var/voice/voicecleanup.txt ]
then
        rm /var/voice/voicecleanup.txt

fi

        # Logon tp SQLplus, Run Sql file
        sqlplus -s username/password<<END

          quit
          END

 **** This is where the code fails. All code after the above line
never executes. What am I doing wrong

# Clean up spool file
sed -e 's/^[ \t]*//;s/[ \t]*$//' -e '/^$/d' -e '$d' voicecleanup.lst

          echo '.EOF' >> voicecleanup.txt

2. telnet -e none

3. Why isn't this simple script working?

4. Unix or Linux OS

5. why isn't the DNS server working?

6. Sticky pppd !!!

7. Why isn't this function working?

8. more applications for Linux

9. Anybody know why this isn't working?

10. Why isn't my set-gid directory not working?

11. Come on, why isn't my printer working?

12. Why Isn't do_cluster_install Working For Me?

13. Why it's a good thing FreeBSD isn't as popular as Linux