Power manager for my screen

Post by Web Manage » Thu, 06 Jan 2000 04:00:00

Hello,

does someone know about a utillity (or a feature of FBSD) that would
allow the monitor to go to sleep after a while?

I run FBSD 3.1 with KDE 1.1.1. I have a recent monitor that should
support any power management.

Is there a port or something, does KDE offer this? What are you using so
your screen is not glowing for 10 hours a day?

Thanks!
--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Marc Andre Paquin

Power manager for my screen

Post by Donn Mille » Thu, 06 Jan 2000 04:00:00

> I run FBSD 3.1 with KDE 1.1.1. I have a recent monitor that should
> support any power management.

> Is there a port or something, does KDE offer this? What are you using so
> your screen is not glowing for 10 hours a day?

Well, in your XF86Config file, you should put

options "power_saver".

Also, I believe you could also do xset +dpms to activate this feature
after you start X.  Check out the man page for `xset'.

- Donn

Power manager for my screen

Post by Andrew G. Bacch » Thu, 06 Jan 2000 04:00:00

I have successfully used IndexFinger.  When IndexFinger is applied to
MonitorSwitch the screen goes dark.  Next time IndexFinger is applied to
MonitorSwitch the screen glows again.  Ohh, the magic of technology.

> Hello,

> does someone know about a utillity (or a feature of FBSD) that would
> allow the monitor to go to sleep after a while?

> I run FBSD 3.1 with KDE 1.1.1. I have a recent monitor that should
> support any power management.

> Is there a port or something, does KDE offer this? What are you using so
> your screen is not glowing for 10 hours a day?

> Thanks!
> --
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> Marc Andre Paquin

Power manager for my screen

Post by Web Manage » Thu, 06 Jan 2000 04:00:00

> I have successfully used IndexFinger.  When IndexFinger is applied to
> MonitorSwitch the screen goes dark.  Next time IndexFinger is applied to
> MonitorSwitch the screen glows again.  Ohh, the magic of technology.

Very funny 8-)

> > Hello,

> > does someone know about a utillity (or a feature of FBSD) that would
> > allow the monitor to go to sleep after a while?

> > I run FBSD 3.1 with KDE 1.1.1. I have a recent monitor that should
> > support any power management.

> > Is there a port or something, does KDE offer this? What are you using so
> > your screen is not glowing for 10 hours a day?

> > Thanks!
> > --
> > ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> > Marc Andre Paquin

Power manager for my screen

Post by Conrad Sabati » Tue, 11 Jan 2000 04:00:00

Quote:>Hello,

>does someone know about a utillity (or a feature of FBSD) that would
>allow the monitor to go to sleep after a while?

>I run FBSD 3.1 with KDE 1.1.1. I have a recent monitor that should
>support any power management.

>Is there a port or something, does KDE offer this? What are you using so
>your screen is not glowing for 10 hours a day?

No "port or something" needed.  xset can take care of this for you.
If you run it without parameters from the command line, you'll see
(among other things) the following:

   To control Energy Star (DPMS) features:
        -dpms      Energy Star features off
        +dpms      Energy Star features on
         dpms [standby [suspend [off]]]
              force standby
              force suspend
              force off
              (also implicitly enables DPMS features)
              a timeout value of zero disables the mode

Just add the necessary commands to /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xdm/Xsetup_0
(if you're using xdm), or your ~/.xsession file.
--
Conrad Sabatier
http://members.home.net/conrads/