Creating a ZIP instead of a gzip file?

Post by glob.. » Fri, 21 Jan 2000 04:00:00

Hi,

I'm running the latest version of Perl on FreeBSD and using the latest
version of Apache. I am using the code below to successfully compress
the txt file file.txt into a gzip file.

use LWP::Simple;

My question is how can I compress the file into a zip file instead of a
gzip file. I searched CPAN but could not find anything to to that. Is
there anyway to modify my code above to create a .zip file instead of
a .gzip file.

Thanks and I do hope to hear from someone soon.

Regards,
Alan

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Post by Axel Reicher » Fri, 21 Jan 2000 04:00:00

> My question is how can I compress the file into a zip file instead of a
> gzip file.

Just install the zip package from the first CD-ROM.

Regards
--
Axel Reichert -- http://www.axel-reichert.de

Creating a ZIP instead of a gzip file?

Post by Andreas Koho » Fri, 11 Feb 2000 04:00:00

this wont work, because gzip is in /usr/bin/gzip ...

install the zip-Port:

Information for zip-2.2/:

Comment:
Create/update ZIP files compatabile with pkzip

Zip is a compression and file packaging utility.  It is compatible with
PKZIP 2.04g (Phil Katz ZIP) for MSDOS systems.  There is a companion to zip
called unzip (of course) which you can also install from the ports/package
system.

WWW: http://infozip.cdrom.com/pub/infozip/

and try this code:

HTH

--
Greetings, Andy

1. "cd file.zip" instead of "unzip file.zip"?

 I have a bunch of CD-ROM's, each with a bunch of .zip files (containing all
sorts of data). However, I don't have enough free space on my hard drive to
actually unzip all of the CD's.

 So: I would like to be able to type "cd /mnt/cdrom", and then "cd file.zip",
and be able to access the files through bash without having to actually
unzip the .zip files - for example, using 'more' to browse through text files
within the .zip file, or 'zgv' for images, or 'lynx' for HTML files.

 I know of 'gzcat', but the files I use aren't always text files, and the .zip
files usually contain more than one file.

 Do you know of something that I can download to make my life easier, or do
I need to teach myself C?

Thank you for your time,
--
Daniel Boese, the agnostic Gnostic

2. flood in ethernet, ipx

3. How to compress to ZIP instead of gzip?

4. multi-IP, multi-domain built in 2.0.0 kernel ?

5. Need help creating .z/.gz files with gzip on Windows

6. /usr/openwin/bin/kcms_server

7. Apache Gzip Log Pipe Creates Empty File

8. mmap() vs. lseek() on /dev/mem RESOLVED

9. Using a variable instead of creating a file in script

10. PROBLEM: mkdir on ext3 creates regular file instead of directory

11. X11 Fonts: Possible to use gzip compression instead?

12. X11 fonts: why BSD compress instead of gzip?

13. Creating Win32 self-extracting zip files?