I bought FreeBSD Toolkit :-((

Post by Jaap » Sun, 11 Mar 2001 16:22:54

Hello, I am complete Newbie,

I tried FreeBSD 4.2 several times and got FreeBSD Toolkit (with Current
"snapshot" February 2001)
The first CD is a "Boot" CD
So, I formatted my HDD ans tried to boot from that CD
Now I got the impression that that was not so clever from me :-))
After a while I concluded that I have to re-install FreeBSD 4.2
BUT WHAT NEXT??
I never learned to mount/read/etc a CDROM so ...

*Jaap from Holland* (excuse me)

I bought FreeBSD Toolkit :-((

Post by Michael A. Dickerso » Sun, 11 Mar 2001 19:05:41

Quote:> Hello, I am complete Newbie,

> I tried FreeBSD 4.2 several times and got FreeBSD Toolkit (with Current
> "snapshot" February 2001)
> The first CD is a "Boot" CD
> So, I formatted my HDD ans tried to boot from that CD
> Now I got the impression that that was not so clever from me :-))
> After a while I concluded that I have to re-install FreeBSD 4.2
> BUT WHAT NEXT??
> I never learned to mount/read/etc a CDROM so ...

Basically, there are two easy ways to install:  boot from CD, or boot from
floppies.  Check in your computer's BIOS; if it lets you boot from the CD
ROM (look for "boot sequence" or some such option), then just put in the
first cd and you're in business.  If not, you need to boot from floppies.
There are instructions for doing this in the handbook:

http://www.freebsd.org/handbook/install.html

M.D.

I bought FreeBSD Toolkit :-((

Post by bob prohask » Mon, 12 Mar 2001 11:32:51

It might be worth emphasizing that the CD must be in the drive
_before_ booting from floppies, else it won't be recognized.

bob

I bought FreeBSD Toolkit :-((

Post by Jamil Taylo » Tue, 13 Mar 2001 20:49:52

Just out of curiosity, are you sure you want to install CURRENT?  It
seems like RELEASE or STABLE would be the best place to start learning
FreeBSD.

>Hello, I am complete Newbie,

1. gcc hugeprogram.c -o hugeprogram.c :-( :-( :-(

I just did something really dumb.

I was getting to the end of a marathon debugging session, like seriously 8
or 9 hours. I kept editing, recompiling, running; editing recompiling
running... I must have been getting tired, because I typed this:

gcc hugeprogram.c -o hugeprogram.c

Jeez - shouldn't a compiler warn you if you try to write over your source
code?!

Anyway, just to make sure, there's no magic trick for recovering source
code from gcc-compiled code, is there?

I was doing all my work in a unix window, and found scraps of the program
in the scroll-back buffer, but can't think of anything else to try.

I never use emoticons, but right now I am really bummed :-(

2. USL C++

3. Samba: Can't get browsing to work :-( :-( :-(

4. How to auto login ?

5. BUY STOCKS ON MONDAY, I want to buy linux stock on Monday, what should I buy ?

6. [Fwd: Sinus-FIREWALL]

7. Remeber BUY MSFT=BUY USA=BUY AMERICAN, not commie monster SCAM linux

8. Fastest dynamic web pages?

9. WALNUT CREEK BUYS SLACKWARE? :-(

10. TIS Firewall Toolkit and screend on FreeBSD?

11. Windowing toolkit for X/FreeBSD

12. Freebsd toolkit installable?