setting up Apache 1.3.27 with the ssl on Freebsd 4.7(stable)

setting up Apache 1.3.27 with the ssl on Freebsd 4.7(stable)

Post by Stickn » Sat, 22 Mar 2003 05:53:35

I am trying to setup Apache on FreeBSD 4.7(stable).  I installed the
apache+mod_ssl-1.3.27+2.8.11 package. I configured the httpd.conf
without trouble and it passed the syntax tests. I ran the command:

# apachectl configtest

and "Syntax OK" was returned. When i run

# apachectl start
or
# apachectl startssl

this was returned:

apachectl start: httpd could not be started
or
apachectl startssl: httpd could not be started
respectively.

I am very confused by this nebulous error. I don't know where to go
from here. I am not sure what i could test to determine the a
solution.

I have another question about how i could get it to start on boot up.
I did not see a way to start it in the rc.conf file. Is there another
way have it on startup.

Thank you for your help,
Robert Stickney

setting up Apache 1.3.27 with the ssl on Freebsd 4.7(stable)

Post by Dang Huyn » Sat, 22 Mar 2003 06:56:57

Check Apache log file and see what is going wrong with configuration or why
it's not started.

Quote:> I am trying to setup Apache on FreeBSD 4.7(stable).  I installed the
> apache+mod_ssl-1.3.27+2.8.11 package. I configured the httpd.conf
> without trouble and it passed the syntax tests. I ran the command:

> # apachectl configtest

> and "Syntax OK" was returned. When i run

> # apachectl start
> or
> # apachectl startssl

> this was returned:

> apachectl start: httpd could not be started
> or
> apachectl startssl: httpd could not be started
> respectively.

> I am very confused by this nebulous error. I don't know where to go
> from here. I am not sure what i could test to determine the a
> solution.

> I have another question about how i could get it to start on boot up.
> I did not see a way to start it in the rc.conf file. Is there another
> way have it on startup.

> Thank you for your help,
> Robert Stickney

setting up Apache 1.3.27 with the ssl on Freebsd 4.7(stable)

Post by Stickn » Sat, 22 Mar 2003 15:09:42

Thank you for your help the problem was my computer name did not match
the name for the server in httpd.conf.  The other problem was solved
when installing ddclient and I found the startup script for apache in
/usr/local/etc/rc.d.

Thank you for your help.
Robert