Modem speed affects PPP chat scripts?

Post by Martin Gisc » Tue, 30 Sep 1997 04:00:00

I'm trying to run 'ppp -background' (or any variations thereof), but
setting the modem speed to 115200 results in none of the chat script
commands getting through to the modem. 57600 and below works fine, and
dialling manually in 'term' mode works at any speed.

Does anyone know what might remedy this problem? Some way to slow down
speed while connecting and then bump it up? Would a faster serial card
help? (Normal 16550 at the moment)
My modem supposedly goes to 230400bps, although needless to say that
doesn't work either.

I'd love any suggestions on how to get around this speed barrier,
    Regards,
                MG.

Modem speed affects PPP chat scripts?

Post by Brian Some » Wed, 01 Oct 1997 04:00:00

Quote:> I'm trying to run 'ppp -background' (or any variations thereof), but
> setting the modem speed to 115200 results in none of the chat script
> commands getting through to the modem. 57600 and below works fine, and
> dialling manually in 'term' mode works at any speed.

> Does anyone know what might remedy this problem? Some way to slow down
> speed while connecting and then bump it up? Would a faster serial card
> help? (Normal 16550 at the moment)
> My modem supposedly goes to 230400bps, although needless to say that
> doesn't work either.

> I'd love any suggestions on how to get around this speed barrier,

Well, I've always used 115200 for everything - ever since I got my
first 28k modem (2 years ago or more).

I can only put this down to a modem problem.  You could test the
chat stuff at 115200 if you have 2 serial ports & a null-modem
cable - works fine.

Quote:>     Regards,

--

      <http://www.Awfulhak.org>

Post by Nigel Gor » Wed, 01 Oct 1997 04:00:00

Quote:> I'm trying to run 'ppp -background' (or any variations thereof), but
> setting the modem speed to 115200 results in none of the chat script
> commands getting through to the modem. 57600 and below works fine, and
> dialling manually in 'term' mode works at any speed.

> Does anyone know what might remedy this problem? Some way to slow down
> speed while connecting and then bump it up? Would a faster serial card
> help? (Normal 16550 at the moment)
> My modem supposedly goes to 230400bps, although needless to say that
> doesn't work either.

> I'd love any suggestions on how to get around this speed barrier,

I've seen this sort of problem when the last AT&W was done at a lower speed...

go into terminal mode at 115200 and do a AT&W, then try the background dial...

-----
Nigel Gorry
System Administrator
Zed.Net ISP, Radio 4KZ & Kool-FM
Innisfail, Queensland, Australia                   http://www.4kz.com.au/

1. PPP/CHAT: chat won't chat with modem, why?

I've been trying to get a dynamic IP connection to work via ppp, and I
think I've narrowed the problem down to the chat program.  chat
doesn't seem to be getting any responses from the modem.  I've been
trying to figure out what's going on by running chat from the command
line (can this work?), but no luck.  For example,

gives the following error messages:

Mar  9 11:43:49 rezkbox chat[1285]: timeout set to 3 seconds
Mar  9 11:43:49 rezkbox chat[1285]: send (^MAT^M^M)
Mar  9 11:43:49 rezkbox chat[1285]: expect (OK)
Mar  9 11:43:52 rezkbox chat[1285]: alarm
Mar  9 11:43:52 rezkbox chat[1285]: send (+++)
Mar  9 11:43:52 rezkbox chat[1285]: expect (OK)
Mar  9 11:43:55 rezkbox chat[1285]: alarm
Mar  9 11:43:55 rezkbox chat[1285]: Failed

I really don't know what's going on.  I'm also a bit confused about
the chat program; it's supposed to communicate with the modem, but how
does it even know which serial port the modem is on?

Any ideas?

-- Charles Rezk

2. Seeking Laser Printer Recommendations

3. ppp in chat mode, how to debug chat script

4. Instal via NFS?

5. PPP/Chat: Working chat script Linux==>SCO?

6. Routing Problems ....

7. PPP: Modified chat for two chat scripts

8. Block Telnet

9. Netra ppp chat modem-chat

10. MST PPP: Trouble executing shell script from chat script for Secure ID.

11. Can't Get PPP Working - Chat (ppp-on) script won't dial

12. Can't ppp w/ courier, can chat, can ppp w/ slow modem

13. Querying modem-to-modem speed of PPP connection.