Please help this newbie out...

Post by Jake » Wed, 30 Jan 2002 15:44:48

To start Gnome once you give the startx command one should have:

exec gnome-session

in their /home/user/.xinitrc file?

And secondly...this one I am having trouble with...how do I get rid of
this...

xauth: timeout in locking authority file /root/.Xauthority

I'm trying to startx as a mortal not root...why is it looking at
/root/.Xauthority?

I'm telling you this has me a little frustrated.

- Jake

--
"Little surprises around every corner, but nothing dangerous. Don't be
alarmed."

Please help this newbie out...

Post by Alastair G. Hogg » Wed, 30 Jan 2002 20:33:15

On Tue, 29 Jan 2002 17:44 in comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc,

> To start Gnome once you give the startx command one should have:

> exec gnome-session

> in their /home/user/.xinitrc file?

> And secondly...this one I am having trouble with...how do I get rid
> of this...

> xauth: timeout in locking authority file /root/.Xauthority

<Yoda>
You seek /usr/ports/x11/wrapper/
/usr/ports/x11/wrapper
</Yoda>

HTH
-Alastair

1. SCSI Time Outs? Please Help.

I have a segate 2 & 4 gig SCSI II hawk dive hooked to an
Adaptec AHA-1542

I'm getting the following warning when I run fdisk:

*the number of cylinders for this disk is set to 2049
*this is larger than 1024 and may cause problems with
*software that runs at boot (e.g., lilo)
        then when I format it I get the following errors about 1/4 through the
format:

*scsi: aborting command due to timeout : pid 2276, scsi0, id0, lun0 0x0a 10
20 02 12 00
*scsi host 0 abort() timed out - resetting
*sent bus device reset to target 0
*sending did_reset for target 0
*aha1542_out failed(2): sending did_reset for target 0

I can format the whole thing in dos just fine.

If you have any suggestions or help I would greatly appreciate it.
-
Dan

2. Chicago Area RS/6000 Users' Group

3. Please, please, please help a newbie.

4. /usr/new

5. newbie question please please help

6. Making Tcl, dynamic libraries

7. Newbie, Newbie, Newbie... Please be patient with me

8. lilo to boot from SCSI drive?

9. PLEASE PLEASE HELP Major problem with my SCSI & Redhat 5.0 PLEASE Help

11. NFS please help me please please please sniff

12. Newbie : Need help with xf86config - PLEASE HELP

13. Help!! Please help a newbie