Will vmware run under BSD using the linux emulator?

Will vmware run under BSD using the linux emulator?

Post by Jason Churc » Thu, 27 Apr 2000 04:00:00

I'm just curious if anyone has had any luck with this.   I can't seem to
totally get rid of Windows, but it would be better if I could just hide
it in a window under BSD.

~Elaith

Post by ze.. » Thu, 27 Apr 2000 04:00:00

: I'm just curious if anyone has had any luck with this.   I can't seem to
: totally get rid of Windows, but it would be better if I could just hide it
: in a window under BSD.

        /usr/ports/emulators/vmware  (VMWare 1.x)
        /usr/ports/emulators/vmware2 (VMWare 2.x)

        Just a `make install' away. :-)

--

BSD:  A psychoactive drug, popular in the 80s, probably developed at UC
Berkeley or thereabouts.  Similar in many ways to the prescription-only

Will vmware run under BSD using the linux emulator?

Post by Jason Neuman » Thu, 27 Apr 2000 04:00:00

Greetings,
When I attempt to install vmware under FreeBSD-3.4-Stable, I get a message
stating that, "==> vmware-x.x.x is marked as broken:  This packages absoulutely
requires Linux procfs support".

I have Linux support installed and running. Does anyone know how I can provide
Linux procfs support on my system?

JasonN

> : I'm just curious if anyone has had any luck with this.   I can't seem to
> : totally get rid of Windows, but it would be better if I could just hide it
> : in a window under BSD.

>         /usr/ports/emulators/vmware  (VMWare 1.x)
>         /usr/ports/emulators/vmware2 (VMWare 2.x)

>         Just a `make install' away. :-)

> --

> BSD:  A psychoactive drug, popular in the 80s, probably developed at UC
> Berkeley or thereabouts.  Similar in many ways to the prescription-only
> medication called "System V", but infinitely more useful. (Or, at least,
> more fun.)  The full chemical name is "Berkeley Standard Distribution".

Will vmware run under BSD using the linux emulator?

Post by David Hoble » Fri, 28 Apr 2000 04:00:00

There is a file with the linux procfs port at:
http://www.mindspring.com/~vsilyaev/vmware/

although it requires a minor change to make it work
with the new .mk files, change PKGNAME to PORTNAME
and add a PORTVERSION seems to work for me.

I am downloading vmware now to give it a go.

david

> Greetings,
> When I attempt to install vmware under FreeBSD-3.4-Stable, I get a message
> stating that, "==> vmware-x.x.x is marked as broken:  This packages absoulutely
> requires Linux procfs support".

> I have Linux support installed and running. Does anyone know how I can provide
> Linux procfs support on my system?

--
Cheers,
david

Will vmware run under BSD using the linux emulator?

Post by David Hoble » Fri, 28 Apr 2000 04:00:00

> I am downloading vmware now to give it a go.

OK,

so I have downloaded the 2 ports (linuxproc and vmware),
compiled them and installed them. Now what?

Normally I boot off my SCSI disks into FreeBSD.
I have NT on an IDE drive.

When I run the configuration Wizard I select:
Existing Physical Disk (/dev/hda)
CD-ROM Enabled (/dev/cdrom)
Floppy enabled (/dev/fd0)
Host-only networking

When I run the system though I get the following errors:

"
Unable to get host mouse type or device name from your X server.
You must specify them in the VM configuration.
Full-screen VGA will not be available
"

"
CDROM: Unable to open '/dev/cdrom':
Device not configured

Error connecting the CDROM device.
"

"
Device ide1:0 will start disconnected
"

Then the disk starts whirring, and nothing seems to happen!

--
Cheers,
david