Upgrading a Ports application

Post by Kyle Cran » Sat, 20 Oct 2001 00:20:53

Hello all,

I have a hopefully simple question.  I am looking for a way to update my
current applications to the versions in the last port tree download I did.
I have tried to simply install the port over the top, since I didn't see a
make directive that looked like upgrade or update.  This worked not-so-good,
I ended up with both the old and the new version of the port showing in a
pkg_info.  Not the ideal.  I looked around in the manual for info on
upgrading but I didn't see it.  Only installing and removeing.  Is there
some way to update a ported application automagicly.  It's a real b%^$# to
navigate the dependency trees if you need to remove a package that 5 other
packages depend on.

Also are there any indications of how they plan to handle those nifty binary
patches?  They show up as an installed package even when you upgrade to the
latest version of the OS.  Is it safe to remove them now, or will that end
up killing something vital?

TIA
Kyle

Post by Olivier Ro » Sat, 20 Oct 2001 01:39:48

> I have a hopefully simple question.  I am looking for a way to update my
> current applications to the versions in the last port tree download I did.

Check out /usr/ports/sysutils/portupgrade

--
Olivier Roux (aka Skoot)
  Au commencement fut cr l'Univers. Cela mcontenta beaucoup de monde,

1. Serial Port to TCP Port application

I have an application that uses a device connected to my serial port.
However, I need to "remote" this application.  I would like to connect my
serial port to a TCP Port in my Linux machine.  This would allow me to
remotely control my serial port "widget" through TCP/IP.  Is there an easy
way to do this?  Has anyone done this before?  Sample C source code?
Implications for the other (remote) end?

Thanks,
Dave

2. Anon. FTP visibility

3. application upgrade

4. .IMG file?

5. Compiling Applications After Kernel Upgrades

6. Telnet Keymapping

7. Upgrading to Sol9 and using Sol8 compiled applications

8. StarOffice FAQ from StarDivision's news server

9. upgrade from Solaris 2.5 to 7: What about the applications

10. XFree86 4.3.0 upgrade and application problems

11. Compiling Applications After Kernel Upgrades

12. Port listening but no application?

13. Porting an application