Help on FreeBSD email config

Post by Gregory Carra » Tue, 05 Aug 1997 04:00:00

Hi there,

 I was wondering if anyone has any information that could help me
solve a problem:

 Recently the IP of a host machine was changed, and I updated the
/etc/hosts and the etc/sysconfig files.  However, all email to the
host is bounced back with a "local configuration error".  What
other config files do I have to modify to get functioning at the
new hostname?

 Thanks,
   Greg

Post by Brian Clappe » Tue, 05 Aug 1997 04:00:00

>  I was wondering if anyone has any information that could help me
> solve a problem:

>  Recently the IP of a host machine was changed, and I updated the
> /etc/hosts and the etc/sysconfig files.  However, all email to the
> host is bounced back with a "local configuration error".  What
> other config files do I have to modify to get functioning at the
> new hostname?

Are you running a name server?  If so, you'll need to update its database,
as well.

You might also take a look at the sendmail FAQ:

        http://www.sendmail.org/faq/

The most common cause of the "Local configuration error" complaint is
this one:

        Subject: Q4.5 -- How can I solve "config error: mail loops back to
        myself" messages?

        Date: January 17, 1997

        I'm getting these error messages:

                553 relay.domain.net config error: mail loops back to myself

        How can I solve this problem?

        You have asked mail to the domain (e.g., domain.net) to be
        forwarded to a specific host (in this case, relay.domain.net) by
        using an MX record, but the relay machine doesn't recognize itself
        as domain.net. Add domain.net to /etc/sendmail.cw (if you are using
        FEATURE(use_cw_file)) or add "Cw domain.net" to your configuration
        file.

--

Confound these ancestors.... They've stolen our best ideas!
        -- Ben Jonson

Post by Chad R. Lars » Sat, 09 Aug 1997 04:00:00

+---------------
| Recently the IP of a host machine was changed, and I updated the
| /etc/hosts and the etc/sysconfig files.  However, all email to the
| host is bounced back with a "local configuration error".  What other
| config files do I have to modify to get functioning at the new
| hostname?
+---------------
The /etc/sendmail.cf file needs to know your local host name, so that it
knows mail to that host is for local delivery.   That can be done (if
you have the standard file) in a file /etc/sendmail.cw, or in the
sendmail file itself.  This is to initialize the "class w", which would
fix your local configuration error message.

However, I think your problem is more fundamental as class w should be
initialized at execution time of sendmail.  So your machine probably has
more than one idea of its name.  What does "hostname" return?

        -crl
--
Chad R. Larson (CRL22)                          Brother, can you paradigm?

Anasazi, Inc. - 7500 North Dreamy Draw Drive, Suite 120, Phoenix, Az 85020