Another one of those NEWBIES lost in space

Another one of those NEWBIES lost in space

Post by Matthew & Lori Taylo » Wed, 15 Apr 1998 04:00:00

I have a couple of questions:

How would I set my NIC with a static address?

How do I change the prompt to anything but <myname>?

Please bear with the UNIX-impaired and give me a hand!

TIA

Another one of those NEWBIES lost in space

Post by Kenneth Furg » Thu, 16 Apr 1998 04:00:00

Quote:

> I have a couple of questions:

> How would I set my NIC with a static address?

To make changes stick between reboots, look at /etc/rc.conf if running
2.2.5+, or /etc/sysconfig if using an older version.  Look for the
"interfaces" section.  To ifconfig(8) up an enternet interface on a
class C network, type (as root):

ifconfig inet X.X.X.X netmask 255.255.255.0

Quote:> How do I change the prompt to anything but <myname>?

Look at the documentation for your shell.  I use the tcsh, and my prompt
is in the form of:

To make this happen, I inserted in my .cshrc file:

Remember this is specific to the tcsh.  Any other shell, read your man
page.  Both sh and csh are available on a stock FreeBSD system.  You
might want to install tcsh from a port or package.

Quote:> Please bear with the UNIX-impaired and give me a hand!

Most of us were in your shoes not too long ago. :-)

- K.C.

1. Can sed replace one or more spaces with one space?

I want to turn input that looks like

levin     tty1
root      tty2
rebecca   tty4

levin tty1
root tty2
rebecca tty4

Can sed do this?  (My copy doesn't seem to use '+' to mean one or
more.)  (And if it varies, my input is filled with spaces, not
tabs.)

End of question proper.  Follow-up is set to me, I hope.  I'll
summarize.

Other questions:
1.  Would it be wiser to ask this in c.u.shell?
2.  I'm sure there are 40 ways other than sed to do this; if you
    send me other suggestions, I'll summarize.

2. KTI PE-520 Plus ethernet card problem

3. Another Newbie Lost In Networking Space

4. nt cannot browse network (samba)

5. Newbie:Moving space from one mount-point to another

6. Performance and Architecture Software Release: SHAPE

7. shrink continuous space to one space

8. trivial: reiserfs whitespace

9. one to one user-space thread and lwp

10. Newbie - Netscape plug-ins

11. LOST LOST LOST

12. Newbie: One Billion and One WinLinux2000??

13. From one newbie to all newbies